• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

STOP California Assembly Bill 1934 (Ban on Open Carry)!!!!!!

steele

imported post

This onerous bill actually passed the California Assembly's Committee of Public Safety, for the first time - a ominous portent of the future. Thankfully it had been re-referred to the Assembly Committee on Appropriations: so we still have an opportunity to keep it from reaching the House Floor! Even if you live out of state, this will affect all open carry advocates - contact the members of the Committee on Appropriations and tell them to shut this bill down!!

Here is their website w/contact info: http://www.assembly.ca.gov/acs/newcomframeset.asp?committee=43

I've compiled their e-mails for ease of copy and paste e-mailing of the entire committee:

Assemblymember.Fuentes@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Conway@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Ammiano@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Bradford@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Calderon@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.coto@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Davis@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.deLeon@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Hall@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Harkey@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Miller@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Nielsen@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Norby@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Skinner@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Solorio@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Torlakson@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.torrico@assembly.ca.gov

Here is my letter to the entire committee:

Dear California Legislators of the Assembly Committee on Appropriations,

I am a concerned Californian citizen, as I have recently been made aware of a bill referred to your committee: A.B. 1934. This bill is unlawful on its face, as it violates the U.S. Constitution. Before I clarify my position, let me remind the committee that all of you were required to swear an oath to "defend and protect" both the California and U.S. Constitution, as a prerequisite to holding the office you do today. Violating this oath is clear grounds for your removal - there is no middle ground to debate.

The most prohibitive clause, related to A.B. 1934, can be found in the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, "No State shall...deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." In the wording of the proposed bill, it clearly aims to limit open carry, of firearms, to a select group of persons: private security guards and law enforcement personnel, while banning it for the other 99+% of the population. The aim of A.B. 1934, to selectively ban a natural right, is unmistakably in conflict with the U.S. Constitution. Letting this bill go to the floor for a vote would be a cognizant violation of your sworn oaths to defend and protect the U.S. Constitution.

Just in case you may try to justify the ban on open carry, by pointing out concealed carry as an available option...any California Sheriff will inform you they prohibitively discriminate in their offering of Concealed Carry Permits. Concealed carry cannot be considered a legitimate substitute for open carry, under current statutes. At the same time, although unnecessary, there are strong arguments for loaded, open carry in California. If you run the numbers (0.5% incarceration rate; 0.1% LEOs per capita) you will see that in a disarmed society, police are currently outgunned by criminals 5:1, at minimum; on the other hand, if just 5% of ordinary, law abiding citizens (99.5% of population) were to regularly and openly carry loaded firearms, criminals would be visibly outgunned 5:1. It should not go without saying volumes are spoken when a California State legislator would even contemplate implementing laws the States explicitly denied the Federal government, in the 2nd Amendment: a statement of American's inalienable right to keep and bear arms. If you haven't recently, please also review (read) the Declaration of Independence: which embodies the principles and philosophies of a prosperous, free, and egalitarian society.

I also strongly urge you to review legislature enacted, particularly with regard to unequal restrictions on gun carry, e.g. A.B. 668, 1000ft perimeters around schools, ban on carry in government buildings, and restricting loaded (ready) firearms, or any other restriction that law enforcement/private security may currently be exempted from. Please don't disappoint Californians and mar our States' reputation any further.

Sincerely,

Michael Remington
California Citizen

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

steele wrote:
This onerous bill actually passed the California Assembly's Committee of Public Safety, for the first time - a ominous portent of the future. Thankfully it had been re-referred to the Assembly Committee on Appropriations
when will it be heard in that committee?

steele

imported post

Good question. The California Assembly website has no mention of a specific hearing date, yet. I will keep you posted, unless someone else beats me to it!

steele

imported post

This onerous bill actually passed the California Assembly's Committee of Public Safety, for the first time - a ominous portent of the future. Thankfully it had been re-referred to the Assembly Committee on Appropriations: so we still have an opportunity to keep it from reaching the House Floor! Even if you live out of state, this will affect all open carry advocates - contact the members of the Committee on Appropriations and tell them to shut this bill down!!

Here is their website w/contact info: http://www.assembly.ca.gov/acs/newcomframeset.asp?committee=43

I've compiled their e-mails for ease of copy and paste e-mailing of the entire committee:

Assemblymember.Fuentes@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Conway@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Ammiano@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Bradford@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Calderon@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.coto@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Davis@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.deLeon@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Hall@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Harkey@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Miller@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Nielsen@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Norby@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Skinner@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Solorio@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.Torlakson@assembly.ca.gov, Assemblymember.torrico@assembly.ca.gov

Here is my letter to the entire committee:

Dear California Legislators of the Assembly Committee on Appropriations,

I am a concerned Californian citizen, as I have recently been made aware of a bill referred to your committee: A.B. 1934. This bill is unlawful on its face, as it violates the U.S. Constitution. Before I clarify my position, let me remind the committee that all of you were required to swear an oath to "defend and protect" both the California and U.S. Constitution, as a prerequisite to holding the office you do today. Violating this oath is clear grounds for your removal - there is no middle ground to debate.

The most prohibitive clause, related to A.B. 1934, can be found in the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, "No State shall...deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." In the wording of the proposed bill, it clearly aims to limit open carry, of firearms, to a select group of persons: private security guards and law enforcement personnel, while banning it for the other 99+% of the population. The aim of A.B. 1934, to selectively ban a natural right, is unmistakably in conflict with the U.S. Constitution. Letting this bill go to the floor for a vote would be a cognizant violation of your sworn oaths to defend and protect the U.S. Constitution.

Just in case you may try to justify the ban on open carry, by pointing out concealed carry as an available option...any California Sheriff will inform you they prohibitively discriminate in their offering of Concealed Carry Permits. Concealed carry cannot be considered a legitimate substitute for open carry, under current statutes. At the same time, although unnecessary, there are strong arguments for loaded, open carry in California. If you run the numbers (0.5% incarceration rate; 0.1% LEOs per capita) you will see that in a disarmed society, police are currently outgunned by criminals 5:1, at minimum; on the other hand, if just 5% of ordinary, law abiding citizens (99.5% of population) were to regularly and openly carry loaded firearms, criminals would be visibly outgunned 5:1. It should not go without saying volumes are spoken when a California State legislator would even contemplate implementing laws the States explicitly denied the Federal government, in the 2nd Amendment: a statement of American's inalienable right to keep and bear arms. If you haven't recently, please also review (read) the Declaration of Independence: which embodies the principles and philosophies of a prosperous, free, and egalitarian society.

I also strongly urge you to review legislature enacted, particularly with regard to unequal restrictions on gun carry, e.g. A.B. 668, 1000ft perimeters around schools, ban on carry in government buildings, and restricting loaded (ready) firearms, or any other restriction that law enforcement/private security may currently be exempted from. Please don't disappoint Californians and mar our States' reputation any further.

Sincerely,

Michael Remington
California Citizen

giaking70

imported post

that's a good letter but put more or add more depth to it showing that Assemblywoman Lori Saldana is lying to the public....good letter as its a good start...

steele

imported post

@giaking70 - I am glad you liked it! That version has already been sent to the Committee, from me, but I encourage to take it and make it your own.

More important, be sure to open carry daily - as ultimately, it is the public we need reach and convince. After just one week of open carrying, I've educated 20+ people!! All it takes is one of us, to convince another to open carry...who convinces another to open carry...etc...until we win. :)

acmariner99

imported post

I am legitimately worried about you guys over there. California has enough problems, why are they so hell bent on silencing you? I will not be visiting California should this law ever pass -- and not just for the reason of carrying firearms. Sacramento has major isssssuuuueeesss.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

ixtow wrote:
worn hammer pin...
*BATFEP*

I'm gonna need to take a look at your keyboard son..

Seems you let off more than one post with a single button press....

OK, you're under arrest...

I had to modify the keyboard delay time, so there is no delay in the keypress, and make another circuit so that when you press down one key it presses others at random too...

But it only works half the time...

BUT YOU'RE UNDER ARREST FOR HAVING A FULLY AUTOMATIC KEYBOARD!

steele

imported post

NEWS ALERT!!! A.B. 1934 will be voted on in FIVE days, in the Assembly Appropriations Committee, this Wednesday. Demand committee members (listed above) SHOOT this bill down - or they will be able to shoot you down.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_1901-1950/ab_1934_bill_20100506_status.html
Code:
CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE	:  A.B. No. 1934
AUTHOR(S)	:  Saldana and Ammiano.
TOPIC	:  Firearms.
HOUSE LOCATION	:  ASM
+LAST AMENDED DATE  :  04/28/2010

TYPE OF BILL :  
Active
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE:  04/29/2010
LAST HIST. ACTION   :  Re-referred to Com. on  APPR.
COMM. LOCATION	:  ASM APPROPRIATIONS
HEARING DATE	:  05/12/2010

TITLE	:  An act to amend Sections 7574.14 and 7582.2 of the
Business and Professions Code, and to amend Sections
626.9, 12001, 12025, 12026, 12026.2, and 12590 of, and
to add Section 12037 to, the Penal Code, relating to
firearms.

steele

imported post

NEWS ALERT!!! A.B. 1934 will be voted on in FIVE days, in the Assembly Appropriations Committee, this Wednesday. Demand committee members (listed above) SHOOT this bill down - or they will be able to shoot you down.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_1901-1950/ab_1934_bill_20100506_status.html
Code:
CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE	:  A.B. No. 1934
AUTHOR(S)	:  Saldana and Ammiano.
TOPIC	:  Firearms.
HOUSE LOCATION	:  ASM
+LAST AMENDED DATE  :  04/28/2010

TYPE OF BILL :  
Active
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE:  04/29/2010
LAST HIST. ACTION   :  Re-referred to Com. on  APPR.
COMM. LOCATION	:  ASM APPROPRIATIONS
HEARING DATE	:  05/12/2010

TITLE	:  An act to amend Sections 7574.14 and 7582.2 of the
Business and Professions Code, and to amend Sections
626.9, 12001, 12025, 12026, 12026.2, and 12590 of, and
to add Section 12037 to, the Penal Code, relating to
firearms.

johndux13

imported post

Real good letter. I also wrote all the assemblymen\women and even Governor Schwarzenegger about opposing this bill. Hope Many more people do the same. This law affects only law-abiding citizens and not the gangsters and criminals who conceal carry illegally on a daily basis while us honest citizens have to jump through so many hurdles just to get a CCW approved.

KansasMustang

imported post

steele wrote:
@ixtow - Not sure if I follow you...? I thought 1934 sounded, and looked, a lot like 1984!
I'm quite certain Ixtow was referring to one of the first draconian gun control laws. In 1934 the Feds first regulated the ownership of fully automatic weapons. This was the first real law that banned a weapon type from general ownership. IMHO it's actually unconstitutional.

steele

imported post

@KansasMustang - Sounds like you got the 1934 reference. Ixtow's mention of it, was the first I ever heard of that law.

If you want to find the first draconian gun law, then look to the States just after the civil war. Michael Badnarik, constitutional scholar, mentions in his online video that the first gun permit was legislated to ban freed slaves from owning a gun, within the southern states. You can imagine their fears...slave master with whip in hand, "They freed who?"...slave, with fresh whip marks, marvelling at his new six shooter...the rest is history.