• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Final word to "Kinda Off Topic"?

Outdoorsman

imported post

Well, here it is, the answer we've all been waiting for... :?

My original post was...

I saw and responded to a statement on another thread about a guy who was involved in a traffic stop and the LEO asked for his girlfriend's/wife's (I can't remember which)ID. She was a passenger in the vehicle. I questioned the legality of this. Should a passenger of a vehicle have to hand over his/her ID???

I sent my question to the Michigan State Police website and this is the response I received...

"Thank you for your interest in traffic safety and for posting your question to
the MSP website. It has been forwarded to my office for a response.

If the person has broken a law, then they must provide identification to the
officer. Most officers always ask (as did I) for identification from all
passengers inside of the vehicle. This serves several purposes, foremost
helping the officer to know who he is dealing with. Also, the person may have
warrants and the officer is able to verify this with their identification.
Generally, most people do not have a problem complying with the officer's
request. The ones who do most likely have a reason to shield their identity
from the officer."

Thank you,

Sgt. Jill M. Bennett
Michigan State Police
Traffic Safety Division
Traffic Services Section
4000 Collins Road
Lansing, MI 48909
TX: 517-336-6121
Fax: 517-336-6259
bennettj14@michigan.gov

It seems to me that Sgt. Bennett totally avoided answering the question. I sent a response back again asking for clarification. We'll see what kind of response I get. Does anyone interpret this response differently?

I inquired again as to the law and Sgt. Bennett responded back...

Thank you for your interest in traffic safety and for posting your question to
the MSP website. It has been forwarded to my office for a response.

You were given the answer. Yes, if you have broken a law, you must give the
officer your identification. I am sorry you did not understand my response.

Thank you,

Sgt. Jill M. Bennett
Michigan State Police
Traffic Safety Division
Traffic Services Section
333 S. Grand Avenue
Lansing, MI 48933
TX: 517-241-0576
Fax: 517-241-0501
bennettj14@michigan.gov

So there it is ladies and gentlemen, if you're guilty of a crime, you must give them your ID!

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I am not aware of any law that supports this statement.

There is no law that requires me to carry ID on me at all times (only when performing certain activities, like driving, carrying concealed, hunting, etc)

So what happens if I happen to have been accused of a crime by an officer while swimming in Lake Michigan, nothing on me but my swimming trunks?

Are they going to charge me with some made up charge of "Failing to provide ID?" - No - because there's no law that requires it.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Sgt. Jill M. Bennett is intentionally attempting to insult your intelligence.

Classic pompous bureaucratic-ese.

I thought MSP had some high standards of professionalism and performance? Couldn't tell it from her pecked out answer....

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Unless driving a vehicle or carrying a concealed weapon you DO NOT HAVE TO produce ID. PERIOD.

Now as for the US Supreme Court they have ruled that all people in a vehicle are "stopped" and detained under the law, but in Michigan you do not have to show ID.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I set this along with a copy of the emails you supplied in this post.

Beloware your emails to a person on the requirement to show ID in Michigan. Please provide the statute that states you must show ID in Michigan. The only statute I can find is when you are driving a vehicle on public roadsor if you are carrying a concealed pistol under the CPL laws. Nowhere else can I find that you have to show ID or even answer questions posed by a LEO in Michigan.

I believe the information you supplied is incorrect. Please cite the statute that supports your answer.

Thank you,
Brian Jeffs