• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Niki Goeser interview, husband shot in TN bar, 2A

M

McX

imported post

something tells me i would not want to be shot in a tennessee bar.

paramedic70002

imported post

Here's the USCCA article:

This is the story of newlyweds Nikki and Ben Goeser. Those of you who listen to me on Armed American Radio have heard this story direct from Nikki Goeser herself. It is disturbing, brutal and very difficult to write.

Nikki met Ben Goeser in June of 2007 at a friend's karaoke party and she was convinced from the beginning that she had met the man of her dreams. "He had this charisma," she says, "and a beautiful, glowing smile. He had this life about him. I knew the moment we met that he was the man of my dreams, my soul mate. You just know. I knew."

After the party she knew she had to find him again, and she did, on MySpace. The two met again in person shortly afterward. Swept up in a whirlwind romance, Ben and Nikki Goeser married on December 31, 2007, just six short months after they had met.

It was a match made in heaven. Ben and Nikki enjoyed spending time together out on the lake. Ben had a jet ski and the two loved to ride across the water, with the wind in their faces and the spray kicking up behind them. Nikki enjoyed fishing, and taught Ben how to fish as well. "Mostly we just enjoyed being together," Nikki says wistfully. "It didn't matter what we were doing--if we were together, we were happy." Ben Goeser was the man that Nikki had been waiting for all of her life.

Another hobby Nikki enjoyed was target shooting. Long familiar with firearms, she decided in 2008 to obtain her concealed carry permit. There wasn't any specific reason for it; she is quick to point out. "It was just something I wanted to do for myself, for my own self-protection, because I realize that this world is an uncertain place." When her permit arrived, she began carrying her firearm on a regular basis--everywhere the law would allow.

Nikki and Ben were just beginning to settle into their lives together when they decided to have a little fun and earn some money at the same time. Together they began a business bringing karaoke entertainment to patrons of a few local establishments on Thursday nights. Before long, they had a pretty solid following among karaoke fans in the Nashville area.

"The business was growing pretty quickly and we were meeting some great people as we picked up more of a following," Nikki says. "It wasn't at all unusual to see many of the same faces on Thursday nights wherever we went. The karaoke group is pretty tight knit and a lot of them would follow us from place to place."

Since it wasn't unusual to see the same regulars at their gigs, the Goesers usually noticed new faces right away. One man in particular began to show up on a regular basis. Because they hadn't seen him at any previous events, Nikki and Ben thought he was a tourist at first. Like many people drawn to karaoke bars, this man--Hank--enjoyed opportunities to take the mike. "He wasn't very good," Nikki says now, "but he was one of those that you could tell thought they were much better than they really were. Those are the kind of people that we clap the most for." Other than that, she and Ben knew little about their newest fan. "All we knew was that his name was Hank."

Hank soon found Nikki on MySpace, which the Goesers used as a tool for their customer base to keep their customers apprised of where they would be working. "It was a tool for us," Nikki points out, "and I added him as a friend just like I do anybody else. MySpace is how we let everyone know where we were going to be performing."

Then the messages started. According to Nikki, Hank sent a total of seven messages. "The first five were totally normal," she says, "but the last two got weird. He would say I was hot. You know, guys say that stuff. You don't really think that much of it. When you work in a bar environment, you get kinda used to that and you accept that guys will say stuff like that to you. It's not really unusual," Nikki says, explaining that although Hank's comments were sexually aggressive, they did not truly alarm her or Ben.

Nikki notified Hank that he was fishing in the wrong lake, telling him that she was happily married and that she found his comments inappropriate. But Hank's response was worrisome, Nikki says. "He had asked me why I was with someone so much older and asked me if I never wanted to have children. He got nasty." Nikki showed the belittling messages to Ben, and together they decided to delete the message and block Hank from accessing their account again.

Several weeks elapsed without any sign of Hank, and the Goesers thought the problem was solved. But a few weeks later, Hank showed up at another establishment where Nikki worked in downtown Nashville. "Ben was with me at all of my shows," Nikki explains. "He later told me that Hank had walked up to him at the bar where he was and said 'Hey man, how's it going,' as if nothing had ever happened."

Ben politely told Hank that he was aware of the comments on MySpace, and reminded Hank that Nikki was a happily married woman. He added that Hank's behavior was scaring Nikki, and asked him to please leave Nikki alone. In response, Hank claimed he had a crazy ex-girlfriend who had hacked into his online accounts. And the sender of the aggressive messages? "It wasn't me, man, it wasn't me," Hank denied.

Ben turned and walked away to join the crowd. Hank left.

Two week passed before the man surfaced again. "He showed up again at the same establishment and just stared at me," Nikki says uncomfortably. "He never said a word; he just stared at me. When I walked around with the tip jar, I just passed right by him. I ignored him. I could tell he had some money in his hands but I never even looked at him." Given the cold shoulder, Hank never said a word to her and again, he left.

One month later

Working at one of their regular establishments in Nashville, Nikki was on the karaoke computer and Ben was sitting at a table right behind her. "I had this feeling," Nikki says. "I don't know what gave it to me, but I looked up and there he was, standing there staring at me. I turned to Ben and said, 'He's here, Ben. That man Hank is here.'" Nikki was startled at the man's presence, uncomfortable but not yet alarmed.

Because Hank's persistence and demeanor upset her, Nikki told Ben she wanted Hank out of the bar, and walked across the room to talk to the manager. She told the manager that she was uncomfortable with Hank's presence in the establishment and asked that he be removed.

NIGHTMARE

As she finished talking to the manager, Nikki turned back towards her husband to see Hank sitting next to and talking to Ben. "He did not seem disturbed at all," Nikki says. Forever unaware of what passed between the two men, she now feels it was a tactic used by Hank to put Ben at ease. Hank lurked behind Ben while Nikki watched from approximately 20 feet away.

The following is Nikki's account of what happened next.

"I watched the manager walk over to him. I could tell she was asking him to leave and I could also tell he wasn't complying. Reaching into his pocket and backing away from the manager, he pulled out a .45-caliber handgun. Ben was working; he was minding his own business. When Hank pulled the gun out of his jacket I remember the gun was up in the air over his head for just a few seconds. Then he lowered the gun to point it at Ben," Nikki says.

Events seemed to be passing in slow motion as Nikki watched in dread.

The deafening sounds of gunfire rang out, and Ben sank to the floor before his wife's horrified eyes. According to the autopsy report, Ben was hit six times. According to witnesses, it was a gruesome and gory scene.

"You've never seen a room clear so fast in your life," says Nikki. The alleged killer calmly placed the gun back inside his jacket and turned to walk away. A patron instantly tackled him, and several other customers piled on to help. Those five or six men held the man down until the police arrived.

Meanwhile, in shock and in utter horror, Nikki ran to the love of her life and cradled him in her arms, searching desperately for any signs of life. There were none. "He was gone," Nikki says. "My Ben was gone, just like that."

As Nikki sat cradling Ben in her arms, a police officer walked in and made eye contact with her. Forcing her away from her husband's body, the police immediately turned the restaurant into a protected crime scene, and Nikki was taken to the kitchen area and away from the scene of the murder.

The aftermath

Nikki is a law-abiding Tennessee right-to-carry permit holder. In a bizarre twist of ironic fate, Nike received her Tennessee carry permit on April 2, 2008--exactly one year to the day before her husband's April 2, 2009 murder. Although completely sober and dedicated to protecting herself and her family, Nikki was forced by the laws in the state of Tennessee to leave her handgun in the car. Nikki did not have the tools to defend her husband because law-abiding permit holders are denied the right to carry in restaurants and bars in Tennessee.

Since that awful night, Nikki has not remained silent. When Tennessee Governor Phil Bredesen vetoed the restaurant carry bill that overwhelmingly passed the Tennessee legislature, Nikki was invited to attend the vote to override the governor's veto. That vote was successful; however, an anti-freedom, activist judge later decided that the legislature was "vague" when it defined the terms restaurant and bar, and ruled that the law was unconstitutional.

Nikki has appeared on numerous national and international television news programs, her story written in various newspapers, and she has been a guest of mine on Armed American Radio on several occasions. She recently left her former day job and now works as an aide for Tennessee's Republican State Senator, Chad Faulkner, a proponent of our Second Amendment rights. She has struck up a close friendship with Suzanna Hupp, survivor of the 1991 Luby's Cafeteria multiple murders, and has vowed to remain active and fight for the rights of all law-abiding concealed carry permit holders regardless of where they live.

The rest of the story is still being written as this case wends its way through the courts, the alleged killer awaiting trial in Tennessee on murder charges. Some of the names have been changed in this written account in order to protect the judicial process.