Thread: Question

Post imported post

First off, id like to apologize for this not really pertaining to OC matters.

So my question is, say you know an officer, (or a friend or whoever), and you or they sell a cop a gun you got. They decide to run the numbers for obvious reasons, and it comes back clean, but can they actually find out what store, assuming you got it LEGALLY from an FFL dealer, that you bought it from? Or can only the ATF do something like that?

Random question i know, but i was having a discussion with a friend about the matter, and so i decided to ask you guys.

Also we were discussing this as being a part of the USA Patriot act

Post imported post

I'm not sure but I believe running numbers only shows if it been reported stolen,nowBATFE I think can track back to the manufacturer who sends it to the wholesaler,to the retailer,to the person who bought it from the store and yes when you buy a gun from a store they know who,when and where it was bought even if they say there is no registration;all the paperwork is attached to a bill of sale(receipt).This is done so that the store is not liable for what is done with that firearm...Just from what I've gathered over the years..I could be wrong..

Post imported post

Thats basically what i figured.

Also, when you get pulled over do the police have the right to check your firearms numbers? And can they just take it from you without your consent?

Post imported post

Last gun I bought at store was the 2nd Amendment in Tucson; I ask specifically about the paperwork and call in verification OK to buy a firearm. The call in does not record the SSN, type, mfgr or any other particulars of the firearm in question. It is only a YES or NO on the legal rights of the person making the purchase. They also said that they do not send any paper work to the BATF, that all paperwork regarding the transaction is kept on record at the store.

Steve
    Steve

"Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"

Post imported post

To do a trace they have to contact the manufacturer with the ser #. Then they contact the distributor, then they have to search throughthe 4473's at the FFL to find out who bought it.That's what I was told by a BATFE agent.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

So it would, in reality, be a lot more trouble than its worth?
    I dont know why a police officer would care where it came from anyway, but that is besides the point.

Post imported post

They normally run ser#'s to see if it is stolen.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers