• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What ammo for chambered round?

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I agree with the people that say that a less than lethal round will probably result in a fail to chamber the next round, unless you want to switch to using a revolver.

Frangible rounds are probably totally lethal although they may penetrate less barriers. Blank rounds can be totally lethal at point blank (as many actors have discovered), and rubber bullets used if striking the head can cause a concussion which has potential to have lethal effects especially at close range. True, a blank will not hurt somebody 25 yards away, a rubber bullet will probably just cause a welt at that range, and a frangible may not penetrate as many barriers but all are potentially dangerous in the hands of a someone who should not be handling your gun or when it is accidentally discharged. When intentionally discharged a blank is most likely not going to do much except scare a person or maybe burn them at close range, a rubber bullet might sound anemic due to the small charge and make them think you have a rubber bullet gun, but a frangible might still kill them.

Frangible rounds are still likely to penetrate through dry wall and other obstacles. Basically anything that is likely to hurt somebody very badly is also going to penetrate walls very easily. See Box O Truth http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot23.htm

Some people think frangible are good for defense, but I think probably a JHP or even an FMJ might often be better because frangibles fragment so fast on flesh that they may not make for great penetration. That still might make a very wide and nasty surface wound which might eventually be fatal but it may be less likely to incapacitate immediately. I like the FBI terminal ballistics handbook: http://www.firearmstactical.com/hwfe.htm

Personally, I'd just carry a chambered round that was equally as effective as the other rounds I had.

If you insist on carrying a rubber bullet or a blank you might want to carry a revolver so that it doesn't cause the gun to fail to cycle and jam up on you immediately, which is almost guaranteed on any firearm that requires the force of the fired round to chamber a new round. In a revolver you could manage to use the weak rounds without causing jams or simply have an empty chamber next in line forcing you to pull the trigger twice. There are also plastic bullets which are more lethal than rubber bullets at very short range but not so much at extended ranges. These bullets also will not generate enough recoil energy to cycle.

If you want to carry a semi-auto firearm you might just want to carry it with an empty chamber or snap cap and cycle the action upon the draw (i.e. Israeli carry.) That is the most fool-proof as far as preventing a lethal round from being fired. They also sell rounds that go in the chamber that lock your gun up if the trigger is pulled upon them if you are worried about the wrong person accessing the gun. That way they cannot even rack a new round into the chamber if they try to pull the trigger the first time. It renders the gun inoperable until you stick an unlocking rod down the barrel and unlock it. http://www.safetybullet.com/

Or you could carry a gun with a safety lever. With a round chambered, it may be nearly as effective as an empty chamber at stopping improper use while retaining the advantage of the handgun that allows you to shoot it with one hand. Having to rack a round may be a disadvantage if you do not have two free hands. Combining a safety lever with an empty chamber may theoretically provide increased safety also however. If somebody chambers a round on your gun it still won't fire unless they take off the safety. But probably, if they can chamber a round they can figure out the safety mechanism too.

The first useless round jamming your gun I think is far worse than wasting the extra second to rack your slide.

I think with proper firearm retention and gun handling the likelihood of any accident being caused by a loaded chamber that would be averted with an empty chamber is very unlikely and it is much more likely that the extra second you have by not chambering a round will give you a life-saving advantage in a self-defense situation.

However, ultimately you can choose whatever style of carry suits you.

Nevada carrier

imported post

I use a Kahr Arms semi auto, with these makes of firearms, chambering a round is not like you see on tv where you simply pull the slide to the rear and release it. On Kahrs you have to pull and lock the slide to the rear and then release the slide lock in order to reliably chamber a round.

so when seconds count I'm going to have one in the chamber. A firearm is a deadly weapon. I use it when my life is more valuable than the BG's and if I pull the trigger I'm shooting to kill. if you have children in your home, or you are leaving your firearm at home it should be in a safe. I suggest getting a safe that you can unlock quickly. so something with a keypad combo entry is best. I only have my firearm in the safe when I'm not home because i don't have children. If I'm home it's either on me or within arms reach.

Loneviking

imported post

There is no such thing as a 'less than lethal' round! I well remember several years ago when a promising young actor put a gun loaded with blanks to his temple to show a friend how 'safe' these rounds were. He pulled the trigger and died from one of those safe rounds. OTH, lots of folk have been shot with every caliber imaginable and survived.

What you need to ask (and answer) is 'how can this particular gun go off'? Is it drop safe? It's a striker system, so is there a loaded chamber indicator? What is the trigger pull? A 10 lb DA/SA is 'safer' than a 5.5lb DAO. If you aren't comfortable with the safety of a particular weapon,sell it and buy one that you are comfortable with.

BTW, many of the rounds talked about in this post don't cycle in a semi-auto. Revolver may be a better bet for your needs.

And to answer the OP, I carry a Sig P6, same bullet in the chamber as in the mag.

MPlannette

imported post

gmijackso wrote:
So far I've been reluctant to carry or even store my pistol with a round chambered because of the added threat of accidental discharge. So, I was wondering what everybody uses as their chambered round? Do you use a different round than the rest of your clip, just in case of accidental discharge?

I've considered using a frangible as my chambered round because it would decrease chances of wall penetration in the event of accidental discharge, but ultimately I think I'm looking for a "less than lethal" round to chamber. The problem is, I can't seem to find anything in a 9mm Automatic ammo. Does anybody know of anything that is available?

Ultimately my goal is to carry a single "less than lethal" round, chambered, and a full magazine of standard ammo. I've looked at the 9mm Shot Shells but understand that they aren't really designed for an Automatic and often don't cycle the weapon properly causing the next round to fail. I've also looked at the Glaser Blue rounds, but while they are a "shot shell" they are compressed so tightly that they are considered fully lethal and are therefore more like a frangible round than a shot shell.

Please try to keep from discussing "all ammo is lethal" and "don't point at something you don't intend to kill". We all (hopefully) know the basics, but reality is, occasionally a weapon is accidentally discharged. No matter how rare, and how unlikely, I'd like to take as much precaution as possible that if it were to happen, an innocent doesn't die. Also please try to refrain from "less than lethal only gives BG time to shoot you" or similar. I can fire two rounds nearly as quickly as I can fire the first, and in a situation where a BG were placing my life in risk, I would fire 2 rounds given that I know that the first is less than lethal, and the second would put him down.

To recap:
What rounds do you carry chambered when OC/"storing" your weapon? Are those rounds different than what you carry in the rest of your magazine? Does anybody know of a "less than lethal" 9mm round and what is it?

I store my 1911's in condition 1 with either 230g Hornady XTPs or 230g Magtech FMJs. I know you mentioned that you're not looking for philosophical answers, but this proposition is, quite frankly, nonsensical in every way imaginable. If you're worried about ADs, then you probably shouldn't be handling a firearm (I don't mean to be harsh). I know you mentioned that "accidents happen, and you should be prepared for them", but in this case they don't. You follow the rules of gun safety and you don't wonder "if" the gun will divinely manipulate itself and go bang. To me your question is similar to driving half the speed limit just in case your wheel decides to pop off of your car. Make sure your car, or gun, in is proper working order, if it isn't, don't use (carry) it.

It would seem that you're looking for something you can physically do to you firearm to make it AD proof, there isn't. The only thing that insures that is you and proper gun handling safety.

And actually I think keeping a "less lethal" round in the chamber would perhaps tend to make someone sloppy with their firearm safety because they have that extra "insurance" that the first round is not lethal, it is.

On top of all of those things, firearms do, from time to time malfunction and have FTE, or FTF. Having a round in the chamber gives you one round without those possible malfunctions.

Once again I do not mean to be hostile, and I'm sorry if I came off like a bit of an ass.

-Miles

jfrey123

imported post

First question: Standard velocity Speed God Dots.

Second question: No. Same ammo chambered as loaded. It's tested in my weapon by me, and I know it cycles reliably.

Third question: there isn't a "less than lethal" round available in 9mm. Glaser Slugs will kill, flat out. They do have a purpose, I used them when my gun was only used for HD at my apartment. But now that I carry daily, every one of my rounds is a commercial grade HP.

For me personally, the risk of a AD/ND is not great enough to concern myself with a "less lethal" chambered round. If I need my gun to go bang, I need 100% of what my gun has to offer.

The Big Guy

imported post

I carry a DAO revolver fully loaded with 158 grn +P SJHP handloads. I feel the DAO trigger resistance is sufficient to prevent an accidental trigger pull, yet smooth enough to allow me to hit what I'm shooting at. The transfer bar system should prevent discharge upon a dropped firearm as that is what it was developed for. I have no fear of my firearm being fully loaded and ready if the need arises.

Secondly I keep my firearms in top condition, and my skills as well with lots of dry fire practice. The dry fire trains the muscles to respond correctly in times of stress without a lot of thinking on my part.

BG