• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The one guy open carrying in Las Cruces this Saturday

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Which one? The Starbucks at Lohman & Telshor? Been there a few times when I lived in El Paso...I used to go up to Las Cruces occasionally (usually cruising up Hwy 28 on my MC)but mostly ended up at the next-door Village Inn (VI).I never noticed if VI was posted or not ("no gun" sign)...maybe you can find out? We all know now that Starbucks follows state law re: carrying, but does VI?

I ask because I go to Rio Rancho, NM (ABQ) once a year (long trip from Galveston, TX) and sometimes go to VIs up there (mainly theVI on Hwy 528 across from Intel)...but again, I don't know if VIs in NM are posted or not so I haven't tried to OC there. I suppose if the VIs in Las Cruces allow OC, the ones in ABQ should, too...I just don't know VI corporate policy.

[Actually, there probably IS no 'VI corporate policy' anymore asVillage Inn Corporate and corporate-owned VI storeswent out of busines a few years ago -- now only the franchise VIsare left and I guess each franchise owner makes his/her own policy now re: carrying]

As for you being the only one OCing in Las Cruces, NM (and you're from TX), there MUST be some other OCers but maybe they don't know about this website. If you see anyone OCing there, ask if they know about this place.

In the meantime, it looks like YOU -- a Texan -- will have to do duty as the official Las Cruces OC Representative. :cool:

-- John D.

P.S. Where did SickTagof Alamogordo go to? Haven't seen him posting for a long time now.

jamesisel

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Which one? The Starbucks at Lohman & Telshor? Been there a few times when I lived in El Paso...I used to go up to Las Cruces occasionally (usually cruising up Hwy 28 on my MC)but mostly ended up at the next-door Village Inn (VI).I never noticed if VI was posted or not ("no gun" sign)...maybe you can find out? We all know now that Starbucks follows state law re: carrying, but does VI?

I ask because I go to Rio Rancho, NM (ABQ) once a year (long trip from Galveston, TX) and sometimes go to VIs up there (mainly theVI on Hwy 528 across from Intel)...but again, I don't know if VIs in NM are posted or not so I haven't tried to OC there. I suppose if the VIs in Las Cruces allow OC, the ones in ABQ should, too...I just don't know VI corporate policy.

[Actually, there probably IS no 'VI corporate policy' anymore asVillage Inn Corporate and corporate-owned VI storeswent out of busines a few years ago -- now only the franchise VIsare left and I guess each franchise owner makes his/her own policy now re: carrying]

As for you being the only one OCing in Las Cruces, NM (and you're from TX), there MUST be some other OCers but maybe they don't know about this website. If you see anyone OCing there, ask if they know about this place.

In the meantime, it looks like YOU -- a Texan -- will have to do duty as the official Las Cruces OC Representative. :cool:

-- John D.

P.S. Where did SickTagof Alamogordo go to? Haven't seen him posting for a long time now.
I went to the one on south valley drive. Not sure about the VI, but I'll check the next time I'm up there. I'm just going to places and seeing how I'm treated. If the business chooses to ban my legal carrying of a firearm I choose not to spend my money there. Good to know there is no more "Corporate" Village inn, cause if I was asked to leave one I would surely not visit any other location. * Fuddruckers has a corporate no weapons policy, so I do not spend my money in any of there restaurants.

I'm sure there are other OCers in the LC area, I was kinda joking with the post cause I haven't been getting any response to posts about OC get togethers or anything in the area:?

huntingcrazy

imported post

I'm open carrying in Las Cruces. Did it yesterday evening and this morning at my apartment complex and the gas station. Nobody even batted an eye.

I have a UT CCW permit and I see that they are no longer valid, so I'm forced to either open carry, or let myself become available to criminal harm.

desert-prospector

(City of the Crosses), Las Cruces New Mexico, USA
imported post

huntingcrazy wrote:
I'm open carrying in Las Cruces. Did it yesterday evening and this morning at my apartment complex and the gas station. Nobody even batted an eye.

I have a UT CCW permit and I see that they are no longer valid, so I'm forced to either open carry, or let myself become available to criminal harm.
I'd suggest you get an AZ permit, still recognized in NM.

For those who don't know, I've lived in LC for awhile and open carry is the only way I do it.
You won't get a whole lot of attention, except for those retired CA and NY folks and a few libtards we got here.

jamesisel

imported post

desert-prospector wrote:
huntingcrazy wrote:

I'd suggest you get an AZ permit, still recognized in NM.

For those who don't know, I've lived in LC for awhile and open carry is the only way I do it.
You won't get a whole lot of attention, except for those retired CA and NY folks and a few libtards we got here.
The NM website says that Texas is the only other state recognized permit.
I was under the understanding that Texas is the only officially recognized permit. The other states permits that they recognize are unofficial....so they can decide not to recognize them at any time, like they did with UT permits.

..........Shennanigans

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
imported post

jamesisel wrote:
I was under the understanding that Texas is the only officially recognized permit. The other states permits that they recognize are unofficial....so they can decide not to recognize them at any time, like they did with UT permits.

..........Shennanigans

That statement was on the DPS site for only a few hours before we got it removed. It was posted in error.

NM continues to recognize the same states it did before Friday, except UT. Reciprocity is being reviewed with other states and may actually improve. At this time, other than TX, NM does not have a reciprocal agreement with any other state but is in the process of converting states currently honored to agreements.

For the record, there is significant rhetoric on numerous forums claiming this is about money, about instructors whining and all kinds of crap. Crap is exactly what that is. It's not about money. The DPS CCU spends $81 per original license and $67 per renewal - hardly a moneymaker. I have never heard one word from any NM instructor that UT instructors were undercutting them.

Utah does not, nor have they ever had a handgun proficiency/competence requirement in their training. I am the person that compiled the original list of states for DPS, that met our statute of "substantially similar" requirement for reciprocity. Utah was NEVER on that list - it was added to the list by someone at DPS IN ERROR. DPS has corrected that error. DPS has requested an up-to-date list. That list has been compiled and they will have it in the next couple days - after I have re-verified that data.

The bottom line here is pretty simple. The statute is crystal clear in it's requirements. Meet them, you're on the list - don't meet them, you're off the list.

Steve Aikens

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

huntingcrazy,

IIRC, you can still carry concealed in NM -- and without a permiteven -- it just has to be unloaded (but someone correct me if I am wrong).

That means your empty gun in its CC holster and 1-2 magazines in a pocket. Not an ideal situation of course, but at least the gun isON you...which is Rule # 1.

Naturally, you need to be MORE aware of your surroundings to see trouble comingin order tohave sufficient time toput the 2 together if need be, but at least the gun isON you (but really, we all could probably improve on our situational awareness).

Or, as you know, just OC...or get a NM CC permit.

-- John D.

jamesisel

imported post

steveaikens wrote:
jamesisel wrote:

..........Shennanigans

That statement was on the DPS site for only a few hours before we got it removed. It was posted in error.

NM continues to recognize the same states it did before Friday, except UT. Reciprocity is being reviewed with other states and may actually improve. At this time, other than TX, NM does not have a reciprocal agreement with any other state but is in the process of converting states currently honored to agreements.

For the record, there is significant rhetoric on numerous forums claiming this is about money, about instructors whining and all kinds of crap. Crap is exactly what that is. It's not about money. The DPS CCU spends $81 per original license and $67 per renewal - hardly a moneymaker. I have never heard one word from any NM instructor that UT instructors were undercutting them.

Utah does not, nor have they ever had a handgun proficiency/competence requirement in their training. I am the person that compiled the original list of states for DPS, that met our statute of "substantially similar" requirement for reciprocity. Utah was NEVER on that list - it was added to the list by someone at DPS IN ERROR. DPS has corrected that error. DPS has requested an up-to-date list. That list has been compiled and they will have it in the next couple days - after I have re-verified that data.

The bottom line here is pretty simple. The statute is crystal clear in it's requirements. Meet them, you're on the list - don't meet them, you're off the list.

Steve Aikens
Thanks for the info Steve!

While I feel that the state should not be charging or profiting even a fraction of a cent from "licensing" of our second amendment rights, given the current situation and laws, New Mexico's actions and requirements for reciprocity seem fair.