Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Gun Registration

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    4

    Post imported post

    I moved to CA several years ago and registered my pistol when I arrived. I have moved a few times (within CA). My question is - Do I have to re-register with my new address every time I move?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area, ,
    Posts
    78

    Post imported post

    I don't believe you do. I've also moved a few times since I bought my gun and never re-registered it here in California.

    I was also stopped by the CHP a couple weeks ago and theychecked my gun in my truck to make sure it was unloaded and verified my current address. That was it.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Roseville, California, USA
    Posts
    486

    Post imported post

    Poblacht32 wrote:
    I don't believe you do. I've also moved a few times since I bought my gun and never re-registered it here in California.

    I was also stopped by the CHP a couple weeks ago and theychecked my gun in my truck to make sure it was unloaded and verified my current address. That was it.
    Hey Poblacht32,

    The gun that the CHP checked, was it a long-gun?

    I have never reported my new address to CDOJ when I have moved. If I was supposed to, I did not know.

    markm

  4. #4
    Regular Member mjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SoCal, , USA
    Posts
    979

    Post imported post

    I don't know the answer with any certainty, but here's what I've read over at CalGuns.net...

    'When you update the address on your CA ID or CA DL your registered firearms get moved too'

    If you want to find out for sure, there is a form you can send to the DoJ that will show all the firearms attached to you; including 'Assault Weapons', etc.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    4

    Post imported post

    Thank you for your replies. I just wanted to make sure I don't want get caught with an "unregistered" handgun.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Red Bluff, California, USA
    Posts
    167

    Post imported post

    Poblacht32 wrote:
    I don't believe you do. I've also moved a few times since I bought my gun and never re-registered it here in California.

    I was also stopped by the CHP a couple weeks ago and theychecked my gun in my truck to make sure it was unloaded and verified my current address. That was it.
    How did the CHP know there was a gun in the truck to check.... was in in plain sight, was that the reason you were pulled over?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area, ,
    Posts
    78

    Post imported post

    MarkBofRAdvocate wrote:
    Poblacht32 wrote:
    I don't believe you do. I've also moved a few times since I bought my gun and never re-registered it here in California.

    I was also stopped by the CHP a couple weeks ago and theychecked my gun in my truck to make sure it was unloaded and verified my current address. That was it.
    Hey Poblacht32,

    The gun that the CHP checked, was it a long-gun?

    I have never reported my new address to CDOJ when I have moved. If I was supposed to, I did not know.

    markm
    It was a 9mm Beretta.


  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area, ,
    Posts
    78

    Post imported post

    camsoup wrote:
    Poblacht32 wrote:
    I don't believe you do. I've also moved a few times since I bought my gun and never re-registered it here in California.

    I was also stopped by the CHP a couple weeks ago and theychecked my gun in my truck to make sure it was unloaded and verified my current address. That was it.
    How did the CHP know there was a gun in the truck to check.... was in in plain sight, was that the reason you were pulled over?
    They asked me if I had any weapons in my truck and I was honest. They checked it out to make sure it was unloaded and put it right back underneath my passenger seat where I had it. No problems.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Red Bluff, California, USA
    Posts
    167

    Post imported post

    Your correct answer Should have been, " I have nothing illegal in my vehicle"


    Was the gun in a locked container?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area, ,
    Posts
    78

    Post imported post

    camsoup wrote:
    Your correct answer Should have been, " I have nothing illegal in my vehicle"


    Was the gun in a locked container?
    Yes it was. That's why the CHP didn't give me any hassle. They were really cool about it.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Milwaukie, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    9

    Post imported post

    i will b working in sacramento next week for mayb a month and was wondering if i will need to register my handgun over there or is there a grace period for travelers such as myself? and also i wanted to make sure i got the oc rules i need to b unloaded with a voice recorder at bare minimum. thx for the replies in advance

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Escondido, California, USA
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    When I get to a real comp I will post a good response.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    MoHawka wrote:
    i will b working in sacramento next week for mayb a month and was wondering if i will need to register my handgun over there or is there a grace period for travelers such as myself? and also i wanted to make sure i got the oc rules i need to b unloaded with a voice recorder at bare minimum. thx for the replies in advance
    IANAL but I have read what I can find about CA gun laws and the way I read it if you establish residency in CA within 60 days you need to register your handguns as an importer.

    I personally don't UOC in CA because I am a resident of ID and go back and forth between ID & CA and do not intend to register my handguns here. If during an eCheck they ran your weapons serial it changes some of the possible penalties if the gun is not registered in CA and they charged you.

    Do not bring hi cap magazines into CA - get 10 round mags for use during your visit.

    CA DOJ Bureau of Firearms website

    http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Milwaukie, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    9

    Post imported post

    wheels wrote:
    MoHawka wrote:
    i will b working in sacramento next week for mayb a month and was wondering if i will need to register my handgun over there or is there a grace period for travelers such as myself? and also i wanted to make sure i got the oc rules i need to b unloaded with a voice recorder at bare minimum. thx for the replies in advance
    IANAL but I have read what I can find about CA gun laws and the way I read it if you establish residency in CA within 60 days you need to register your handguns as an importer.

    I personally don't UOC in CA because I am a resident of ID and go back and forth between ID & CA and do not intend to register my handguns here. If during an eCheck they ran your weapons serial it changes some of the possible penalties if the gun is not registered in CA and they charged you.

    Do not bring hi cap magazines into CA - get 10 round mags for use during your visit.

    CA DOJ Bureau of Firearms website

    http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/
    thank you for the info im glad u mentioned the 10 rd mag i didnt even think about that. ya i was thinking it was best for me to no uoc over there after reading thru the fourms

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    MoHawka wrote:
    wheels wrote:
    MoHawka wrote:
    i will b working in sacramento next week for mayb a month and was wondering if i will need to register my handgun over there or is there a grace period for travelers such as myself? and also i wanted to make sure i got the oc rules i need to b unloaded with a voice recorder at bare minimum. thx for the replies in advance
    IANAL but I have read what I can find about CA gun laws and the way I read it if you establish residency in CA within 60 days you need to register your handguns as an importer.

    I personally don't UOC in CA because I am a resident of ID and go back and forth between ID & CA and do not intend to register my handguns here. If during an eCheck they ran your weapons serial it changes some of the possible penalties if the gun is not registered in CA and they charged you.

    Do not bring hi cap magazines into CA - get 10 round mags for use during your visit.

    CA DOJ Bureau of Firearms website

    http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/
    thank you for the info im glad u mentioned the 10 rd mag i didnt even think about that. ya i was thinking it was best for me to no uoc over there after reading thru the fourms
    Glad to help - if you will be working in a sketchy area you may want to consider LUCC - an option here in CA. There are some good threads if you do a search.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •