• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Registration

opencarry1

imported post

I moved to CA several years ago and registered my pistol when I arrived. I have moved a few times (within CA). My question is - Do I have to re-register with my new address every time I move?

Poblacht32

imported post

I don't believe you do. I've also moved a few times since I bought my gun and never re-registered it here in California.

I was also stopped by the CHP a couple weeks ago and theychecked my gun in my truck to make sure it was unloaded and verified my current address. That was it.

markm

imported post

Poblacht32 wrote:
I don't believe you do. I've also moved a few times since I bought my gun and never re-registered it here in California.

I was also stopped by the CHP a couple weeks ago and theychecked my gun in my truck to make sure it was unloaded and verified my current address. That was it.

Hey Poblacht32,

The gun that the CHP checked, was it a long-gun?

I have never reported my new address to CDOJ when I have moved. If I was supposed to, I did not know.

markm

mjones

imported post

I don't know the answer with any certainty, but here's what I've read over at CalGuns.net...

'When you update the address on your CA ID or CA DL your registered firearms get moved too'

If you want to find out for sure, there is a form you can send to the DoJ that will show all the firearms attached to you; including 'Assault Weapons', etc.

opencarry1

imported post

Thank you for your replies. I just wanted to make sure I don't want get caught with an "unregistered" handgun.

camsoup

imported post

Poblacht32 wrote:

How did the CHP know there was a gun in the truck to check.... was in in plain sight, was that the reason you were pulled over?

Poblacht32

imported post

MarkBofRAdvocate wrote:
Poblacht32 wrote:

Hey Poblacht32,

The gun that the CHP checked, was it a long-gun?

I have never reported my new address to CDOJ when I have moved. If I was supposed to, I did not know.

markm
It was a 9mm Beretta.

Poblacht32

imported post

camsoup wrote:
Poblacht32 wrote:

How did the CHP know there was a gun in the truck to check.... was in in plain sight, was that the reason you were pulled over?
They asked me if I had any weapons in my truck and I was honest. They checked it out to make sure it was unloaded and put it right back underneath my passenger seat where I had it. No problems.

MoHawka

imported post

i will b working in sacramento next week for mayb a month and was wondering if i will need to register my handgun over there or is there a grace period for travelers such as myself? and also i wanted to make sure i got the oc rules i need to b unloaded with a voice recorder at bare minimum. thx for the replies in advance

wheels

imported post

MoHawka wrote:
i will b working in sacramento next week for mayb a month and was wondering if i will need to register my handgun over there or is there a grace period for travelers such as myself? and also i wanted to make sure i got the oc rules i need to b unloaded with a voice recorder at bare minimum. thx for the replies in advance
IANAL but I have read what I can find about CA gun laws and the way I read it if you establish residency in CA within 60 days you need to register your handguns as an importer.

I personally don't UOC in CA because I am a resident of ID and go back and forth between ID & CA and do not intend to register my handguns here. If during an eCheck they ran your weapons serial it changes some of the possible penalties if the gun is not registered in CA and they charged you.

Do not bring hi cap magazines into CA - get 10 round mags for use during your visit.

CA DOJ Bureau of Firearms website

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/

MoHawka

imported post

wheels wrote:
MoHawka wrote:
IANAL but I have read what I can find about CA gun laws and the way I read it if you establish residency in CA within 60 days you need to register your handguns as an importer.

I personally don't UOC in CA because I am a resident of ID and go back and forth between ID & CA and do not intend to register my handguns here. If during an eCheck they ran your weapons serial it changes some of the possible penalties if the gun is not registered in CA and they charged you.

Do not bring hi cap magazines into CA - get 10 round mags for use during your visit.

thank you for the info im glad u mentioned the 10 rd mag i didnt even think about that. ya i was thinking it was best for me to no uoc over there after reading thru the fourms

wheels

imported post

MoHawka wrote:
wheels wrote:
MoHawka wrote:

thank you for the info im glad u mentioned the 10 rd mag i didnt even think about that. ya i was thinking it was best for me to no uoc over there after reading thru the fourms
Glad to help - if you will be working in a sketchy area you may want to consider LUCC - an option here in CA. There are some good threads if you do a search.