• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Toronto Sun - Meet Wisconsin's Nik Clark & Kim Garny, poster couple for the open carry m

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.torontosun.com/news/columnists/thane_burnett/2010/04/22/13683826.html- see embedded video

SNIP

News Columnists / Thane Burnett
Shopping with guns
By THANE BURNETT, QMI Agency

Last Updated: April 24, 2010 2:00am

NEW BERLIN, Wis. - There’s some bother near the broccoli.

Anxiety spilled on aisle four.

But the concern is not from customers, who seem fairly oblivious to two armed people moving through their supermarket on this Sunday afternoon.

. . .

On Nik Clark’s hip is a jet-black Glock - its full clip bulging like the weightlifter’s arms.

Hugging Kim Garny’s slender hip is a more diminutive - but still formidable - Smith and Wesson .38 Special. And it’s just that, with its soft pink, girly grip, that waves just above her holster.

Neither holds a permit for their loaded guns. But no sirens wail.

Instead, a lone, nervous looking manager of some sort moves in. It’s not the guns he’s concerned about, but rather the Canadian journalist’s camera that’s now shooting up the area.

Once reassured, the manager breathes a sigh of relief, before warning: “Please, just don’t video any of the empty bread shelves. Looks bad.”

The store’s name? Appropriately, Sentry Foods.

. . .

Across the U.S., shopping with a displayed weapon - called "open carry" - has become the new Gettysburg of gun debates.

. . .

Backed by whispers of sympathy from the U.S. Supreme Court, gun owners feel it’s time to flex.

There are "open carry picnics," as well as mass gatherings to test the nation’s mood.

Some estimates say open carry has as many as 30,000 followers.

Not only does it bring some of the 196 million guns in the U.S. out of the closet, but open carry may pressure lawmakers to make carrying a concealed weapon easier.

. . .

“A lot are law abiding citizens, until they pull the trigger.”

Living in a place ranked last year as the 34th Best Small American Town to live in, Nik and Kim say they’ll only draw if their lives, or loved ones, are at risk.

The pair is a poster couple for the cause.

They’re attractive, successful, urban, and bring their guns almost everywhere - though federal laws mean they can enter a bank armed, but not a post office.

“I even play kick ball with it on,” says Kim, a 39-year-old mom who’s a nurse in an emergency room.

“I hope it’s a deterrent,” she says of the message her pink gun gives off to evildoers.

“Criminals watch you, and it sends out a statement.”

. . .

Nik believes the right to bear arms and protect your family is more universal.

“It’s a human right,” he assures. “I believe Canadians have just as much of a right to keep and bear arms for self-defence as I or anyone else does, though the Canadian government may deny that right to you.”

. . .

Canadian activists aim to carry in the open

Norman "Griffon" Lapierre has fond memories of walking into an American sandwich shop with a loaded gun.

The Quebec man ordered his sub, then left.

“And it didn’t raise an eyebrow ‹ no more than if I had an iPhone,” he recalls from his home in Saint-Constant, a suburb of Montreal.

Lapierre, a Canadian gun rights advocate, was on a private training course when he walked into the deli with a 40.-calibre Smith and Wesson. He has four permits to carry a weapon in the U.S.

“So the Americans trust me enough, but my own country doesn’t,” he says.

Lapierre, who is involved with a number of gun lobby efforts in Canada (www.canadacarry.org), has little faith this country wants him to stroll into a Tim Hortons with a gun on his belt.

Instead, he’s hoping for a change to allow more Canadians to carry concealed weapons.

His group, the Canadian Association for Self Defence, says only 13 concealed gun permits were allotted in Ontario in 2008.

“You can’t tell me not more than 13 people in Ontario (fear) their life is in danger,” Lapierre, a 54-year-old grandfather and vocational school teacher, argues.

“Up until 1978 in this country, concealed carry did exist ... and yet blood didn’t run in the streets.”

. . .

When asked by QMI Agency for their position, the executive director of the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police responded that no one would be available to speak on "open carry."

apjonas

imported post

Really?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Interesting irony in the Canadian Guy's last name....

A Canadian supports OC, and even DOES it. But the King of the NRA, no....

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

apjonas wrote:

Really?
Yeah, that threw me for a loop. What aspect of pulling the trigger defines me as no longer a law abiding citizen?

I'm still a law abiding citizen at the range....

I'm still a law abiding citizen if I shoot someone to defend myself....

And this 'a lot' part confuses me, too. How many violent felons can buy a gun from a dealer? How many Criminals buy their gun on the Black Market, and then let everyone see it?

Weird sentence, from front to back.

eye95

imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
apjonas wrote:

Really?

I believe he is talking about most cities have a law against discharging a weapon within city limits.
Then he should have said, "A lot are law abiding citizens, until they pull the trigger in an unlawful way."

But, then, that statement amounts to a pointless tautology.

range rat

imported post

I thiough it was well done. Of couse the comment about law abiding citizens until they pull the trigger a little cheap. My question is why can't this be seenen on the locale news, like 6,12,or4??