• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"CCW" Pistol Permit courses at Delta Arsenal

beanoboy7

imported post

4/23/10 was the grand opening of Delta Arsenal in Meriden, CT so I went to check it out during my lunch break. LOTS of people in there. Anyways I noticed that their business cards says that they offer "CCW" Pistol Permit Courses, which I found odd.

So I sent an e-mail to the owner.

Website with e-mail address: http://deltaarsenal.com/catalog/index.php?osCsid=cc5265c3b8e60208f2c781379c020cc7

dcmdon

imported post

CCW is a stupid term anyway. Even if you live in a state that requires concealment.

In CT its particularly stupid because a gun is the only weapon that you can conceal legally really.

The class can be accurately characterized as 2 things.
1) NRA intro to handguns class. (I forget the exact title)
2) CT pistol permit class.

Either way, its not a CCW class.

I explicitly tell my pistol permit class students that they will NOT learn enough in that class to go out and effectively carry outside the home.

Specifically, they will not have been taught.

1)Holster selection criteria
2) the proper way to draw from a holster
3) shooting from a retention position
4) point shooting

The class does provide the skills necessary for home defense in a "defend in place" scenario, but mainly the goal is to get the shooter SAFE so that they can continue to practice and gain proficiency on their own.

Don

Leverdude

imported post

dcmdon wrote:
CCW is a stupid term anyway. Even if you live in a state that requires concealment.

In CT its particularly stupid because a gun is the only weapon that you can conceal legally really.

The class can be accurately characterized as 2 things.
1) NRA intro to handguns class. (I forget the exact title)
2) CT pistol permit class.

Either way, its not a CCW class.

I explicitly tell my pistol permit class students that they will NOT learn enough in that class to go out and effectively carry outside the home.

Specifically, they will not have been taught.

1)Holster selection criteria
2) the proper way to draw from a holster
3) shooting from a retention position
4) point shooting

The class does provide the skills necessary for home defense in a "defend in place" scenario, but mainly the goal is to get the shooter SAFE so that they can continue to practice and gain proficiency on their own.

Don

NRA Basic pistol course. ;)
I'd agree with your summary, its just a general safety course. Since in CT you need a permit just to go buy a gun & bring it to the range etc I think its a sufficient introduction for most people.

dcmdon

imported post

It is fine for most people. But I like to stress that it is not fine for carry outside the home.

In the aviation world, people refer to a pilots license as a "license to learn". A pistol permit is the same thing. Although I think the gun folks could learn a lot from the aviation folks as far as safety and self reflection go.

Don

deltaarsenal

imported post

Hello, Andrew Reinhardt here from Delta Arsenal. We have been meaning to get new business cards for some time, however we have been a little busy getting the store open and such. Note it does not advertise on our website as "CCW" You are entirely correct that the NRA Basic Pistol Safety course is NOT a CCW course. However we were offering in the past, and will be offering in the future Advanced Pistol courses with a focus on concealed carry and self defense. Sorry if there was any confusion regarding the nature of our Connecticut Basic Pistol Safety Course.