• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tanner Gun Show

bomber

imported post

i choose to take the risk with reloads. but you gotta weigh the risks for yourself. all kinds of bad things can happen when shooting reloads, especially someone else's reloads. you could have a misfire, a jam, a squib, or your gun could literally explode. so make sure you are aware of the risks. i only use the reloads i bought as target rounds, not as personal defense rounds.

cscitney87

imported post

While I am aware of the risks; there Has to be an automatic mechanism for producing reliable reloads. For example; the same Joe Brown packs Reloads for YYZ Gun Shop- every Thursday and Friday- for the past 8 years. He always uses ## milligrams of XX gun powder, every time- and always will. He would have to use 2 scoops to load 2 times as much- so he knows to only use One (1) scoop every time.

I know accidents happen, but yeah I mean if you are commercially producing reloads- and selling them to the public- you most likely have a quality control system in place.

The risks; yes I understand. From time to time- a load will have to little or to much powder- leads to to much pressure or to little pressure- leads to an explosion or a squib. Many other problems with the seating of the bullet in the case- how it was pressed- to what spec. the bullet sits against the powder in the case, or not.

Essentially I would look for a machine produced reload- if that exists. Where a repeating machine is cranking out reloads, exactly the same- every time. For half the price.

Thank you for your insight bomber I appreciate it. Yes I would ONLY ever use a reload for target practice.

mahkagari

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Essentially I would look for a machine produced reload- if that exists. Where a repeating machine is cranking out reloads, exactly the same- every time. For half the price.

Can I have a pony while you're at it? And a rainbowunicorn that burps up leprachauns? :p

Seriously, it doesn't exist. #1, lead, primers, and powder just physically cannot get below that price. The only way you getclose to thosesavings is to save, clean, and anneal your own brass until it's virtually free. #2, even if someone was able to get the materials for that low, do you really expect them to give you their labor for free and discount below market price out of the goodness of their hearts?

The main benefit of reloading is to be able to customize your loads for what is more accurate for your particular gun. You can get great savings fromrecycling your brass (Hey, look at us!Reloading isa green initiative!), but that does not count your labor or the initial costs in equipment. Anyone who sells ammo is going to add those costs to their product. Factor in their potential inconsistency, and it's not that much of a bargain.

If you want those kind of savings, you'll need to do the work yourself. There are "machines" to automate the process, but for every step of automation, you introduce a chanceof inconsistency.

TAANSTAFL, friend. TAANSTAFL.

cscitney87

imported post

Ah a man can always dream. Maybe some where.. In some shallow hole in the wall of a Gun Shop.. In the back room.. in a darkly lit corner.. Is a man who takes all the expended brass and makes reloads- one after another- for commercial sale. :)