• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Krogers and Affiliate Stores Official Policy On OC and CC

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

AL Ranger wrote:
Below is my response to the Kroger rep who responded to my email. You can read my response to her, followed by her email and my original asking about their OC and CC policies.

Ms. Metropulos,

Thank you for your swift and courteous response to my email. I wish the others we had contacted would have been as attentive.
I'm sorry to say that as of the receipt of your email, the posting on our website, and the circulation to other websites in our state and across the nation, many of us will no longer be Kroger customers. I'm sure that you can understand that we would no longer frequent a store whose policies violate our rights as outlined in the US Constitution and our state constitutions, as well. If your company has a change in its policies, please contact me and we will be sure to address those changes on our site and the others. Again, thank you for your quick and courteous response.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 8:49 AM, <christie.metropulos@kroger.com> wrote

Dear Mr.________________,
Thank you for contacting The Kroger Co. Kroger and Dillon's have taken the position of allowing concealed carry in our stores. The only exceptions are in-store government libraries. As far as the liquor issue goes, the only establishments that cannot allow concealed carry are businesses that sell liquor by the drink, not packaged liquor.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us at 800.576.4377.

Sincerely,

Christie Metropulos
Consumer Affairs
Reference: 8904509
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CUSTOMER COMMENTS:
As of right now, there are 44 states that allow/permit the open (unconcealed) carry of firearms in public. There is also a growing movement of citizens electing to exercise these rights. The reason for this email is to inquire as to Kroger's company policy concerning this topic. We are currently inquiring about this topic of all businesses operating in our state. Some businesses, such as Starbucks Coffee, have made it clear they will abide by the laws of the states in which they operate and permit open and/or concealed carry in their restaurants and on their property. We have no wish to violate your company's policies nor do we wish to be evicted from your stores or arrested for trespassing. Once you have informed us of your policies in this matter, we will post it on our website for our members and other gun owners to see, as well, as forward it to others organizations throughout our state. I would greatly appreciate a timely response to this inquiry and I thank you your time and consideration of this matter.
So, why are you not going to shop at Krogers? The allow concealed carry and have taken no position on open carry. What's the problem?

cscitney87

imported post

From Colorado; we carry in King Soopers alllllll the time. King Soopers and Kroger; same company- I suppose I cannot speak for corporate policy- but I can speak for individual stores. Metro Denver King Soopers never have stickers or signs or anything to the similar. Nobody's been kicked out over in our Colorado forum.

Funny thing.. I just interviewed for a position at my local King Soopers. I open carry there quite often; more than any other place as I go to the super market very often for fresh food. The manager didn't say a word about me open carrying in the interview; but we all just Know that somebody is going to bring it up. Sooner or later; probably on my first day- an employee will recognize me as that guy that open carries his pistol in the store. Again; not a word has ever been said one way or another to me while shopping. No cops or anything. Now that I am put in this situation- we will see the corporate and store true colors. We're going to find out. I'll frequent this thread to post the results; I will know about employment next week so we'll have some data soon.

For record I have my CHP applied for so concealing; if they ask me to- is always an option. Of course I would be carrying concealed while working there- one way or another- nobody should even know I have it. That's the point. I will just say No I don't have it. I'll act like I never carry while working there.. and nobody will ever know the difference.

It's going to be really really really fun though to have that first initial "Okay everybody gather around the new guy for some Colorado Firearms Laws 101" but after that probably lame. I'll still be carrying when I am Not working; openly.

AL Ranger

imported post

I'll be looking forward to hearing more about this. Please keep up with posting and let us know what happens. Like a lot of companies, maybe the official policy and what happens in the stores is two different things. Let's hope that is the case.

matthewlee0787

imported post

I just joined this site to tell you that you are retarded.... It clearly says that you CAN carry in Kroger just not in library.... so what is your problem? It's people like you who give gun owners bad names.... I hope you sell all of your guns and never associate yourself with firearms again....

I carry always

imported post

I am going to havew to agree with matthewlee0787. I have been visiting this site for a few months and I OC and have CC'd for many years. What is your problem with Kroger's policy?

You were so strongly looking for a problem where none existed that you obviously failed to read the reply from Kroger. Please have someone re-read it to you.

I have OC'd at our local Kroger a couple times in the last 2 weeks.

Adam5

imported post

Kroger has a long standing policy of allowing carry, whether open or concealed (where legal).

They are also a welcome corporate sponsor of www.georgiacarry.org.

BTW, unless you have had a specific problem, why would you ask a company for permission to do something that you are legally entitled to do? You have a drivers license that allows you to drive a car. Did you ask Kroger if you can drive in their parking lot?

AL Ranger

imported post

matthewlee0787 wrote:
I just joined this site to tell you that you are retarded.... It clearly says that you CAN carry in Kroger just not in library.... so what is your problem? It's people like you who give gun owners bad names.... I hope you sell all of your guns and never associate yourself with firearms again....
It says you can carry concealed not open. I wanted to know what the "official" policy was as opposed to the "store or local" policy. I wasn't looking for problems or trying to start one! I'm just letting these corporations know that we are looking at their policies for violations of our rights. I want them to know that their customers are willing to turn our backs to them if they don't wish to follow the laws of the states in which they operate. If you want to sit back and just take it as it comes, go right ahead. Personally, I'd rather be pro-active than reactive. I was polite, I was courteous and I didn't accuse them of anything.

matthewlee0787

imported post

It says you CAN conceal carry... show me where it says you can't open carry??? I'm lost here I must say... and you did accuse them... You accused them of "violating your rights".

matthewlee0787

imported post

I second that. And I am also glad to see there are others here (everyone so far) that agrees in that you are creating a problem where none exists... If there is ANY problem at all it is that she may not have fully answered your unexplainable need to know if their policy is to allow foropen carry or not.

CraigC178

imported post

I carry always wrote:
Just who exactly is this "we" you talk about?  I hope they realize you really don't represent anyone but yourself.
+1

Be careful proporting to speak for any group. I hope that you didn't intend to speak for the membership of OCDO or if you're trying to speak for gun owners in general in you're email to Kroger, you sure didn't ask for my opinion and you do not speak for me.

MK

imported post

I say this only as my opinion to think about and don't want to offend anyone whoI recongize isalso entitled to their own opinion even if its completely contradictoryto my own.

I think its a bad idea to start questioning loads of businesses on their policies out of the blue. For one, if they feel pressured to take a stand they may just opt for the one that sounds the safest and most politically correct to their current mindset which could be one that infringes on our rights. Once those signs go up, it may be next to impossible to get them to agree on removing them. Its better to have no signs and no policy than to have one which is hostile to our collective beliefs. Alot of the general public are still unfamiliar with their rights in regard to open carry and may need more time and exposure to become fully accumstomed to it.

I think it would be much easier to deal with each situation seperately as it comes up and allow those of us who wish to stand for our rights to focus on each individual case. Its much easier to deal with one business at a time through calls, emailsand possible consumer actionthan to try to work out dozens or hundreds of situations all within a short period of time.

cscitney87

imported post

There's a debate on whether or not you should question policy before visiting. For example; if you are visiting a park that is across the road from the police department.. The park has no signs up that You can see; but you've made mistakes before.. So you call the park station and they inform you that Open Carry is banned and signs will be posted soon.

Was no sign. Then I called. Sign was put up.

Now that's bad for the Open Carry movement? Yes?
It's worse to get arrested. I've made mistakes and missed signs before; it's always best to place a phone call to verify...

Now where there was no sign- there is... But is that any better than Open Carrying Anyway? What if there was a sign that you did not see? What if the sign was kicked down or the wind blew it over? Still enforceable; but not visible; hm?

Just saying.. It's not always the best idea to "let sleeping dogs lie"

groats

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
There's a debate on whether or not you should question policy before visiting.  For example; if you are visiting a park that is across the road from the police department..  The park has no signs up that You can see; but you've made mistakes before.. So you call the park station and they inform you that Open Carry is banned and signs will be posted soon.
Or, as happened here, the police said it was illegal (they were wrong), signs were put up, and the city had to be sued before they took them down. Big money, and hassles, for nothing.

Police do not know all the laws. No one can.

cscitney87

imported post

Bro I purposely wrote Park Station because I didn't want to write Police Department. Generally speaking; Park Station Rangers and Staff have legal resources outside of the city Police Department. I wrote Park Station.. Because, Duh! Cops are Not the source of legal council.

cscitney87

imported post

gutshot wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
Bro I purposely wrote Park Station because I didn't want to write Police Department. Generally speaking; Park Station Rangers and Staff have legal resources outside of the city Police Department. I wrote Park Station.. Because, Duh! Cops are Not the source of legal council.
Neither are Park Rangers. A prudent person would research these things independently. Some government officials will tell you what they wish the law was or whatever would make their job easier.
Okay GutShot. You're right. Park Rangers, although paid to and authorized to; are not a valid source of Information regarding the park in which they are in charge of. Hey silly me, bro, sorry. What was I thinking? :shock:

I carry always

imported post

I guess they are like the IRS, not responsible for their own bad information.
banghead.gif