• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do we pay $20 for a CC permit?

Mississippi Man

imported post

my apologies! Our license is good for 5 years at $133, so it is albout the same money as your cost in Alabama, but I would hate to have to renew or even remember to renew each year! That does stink!

SlackwareRobert

imported post

But mine is only $10, depends on county in AL. On the plus side if you move you
haven't blown 4+ years worth of permit. Also no fingerprints, no references, no pesky
questions you have to answer truthfully, i.e. you don't have to sign the application
swearing the answers above were truthful under penalty of law.....
I myself have never lied on mine, but was shocked there was nothing prohibiting it.
Also can pay in cash so there is no paper trail. :idea:

On the minus side, I had to wait 3 whole days, and they tried to goad me, I had to
renew on the auburn side of the office, they wouldn't come over to the Alabama
counter to take my $10.
It was horrible, oh the shame for giving in so I could drive home. :cuss:

Mississippi Man

imported post

Yeah in Mississippi we had to answer a TON of questions, bring a photo of yourself, have everything notarized, pay the money, get fingerprinted, and then get to wait six weeks for the license. It was a pain. If they would have had an "Auburn" side of the counter here, it might have been just too much! LOL RTR

dixieborn

imported post

Yeah, don't get my wrong everyone, I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest over who has it the worst.... I was just wondering where the disconnect was between the statute calling for $1 and my sheriff asking for $20 which I assume is going to their kegger...

But someone answered my question, so I'm good.

I'm still paying the darn fee... just wish I didn't have to fork over $20 every year!

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Don't think of it as a yearly license fee.
Think of it as a 'user' tax for your car to keep the roads safe.:celebrate:banghead::banghead:

But ask your city council when they run for re-election if they will support
lowering it to $1. They always love citing their pro gun stances when campaigning.
Put them on the spot, point out that unemployment makes it a hardship to pay
unreasonable taxes on safety measures.

eye95

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Don't think of it as a yearly license fee.
Think of it as a 'user' tax for your car to keep the roads safe.:celebrate:banghead::banghead:

But ask your city council when they run for re-election if they will support
lowering it to $1. They always love citing their pro gun stances when campaigning.
Put them on the spot, point out that unemployment makes it a hardship to pay
unreasonable taxes on safety measures.
They can't lower it. The fee is set through "local laws" passed by the legislature.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Yes, but the 'local' laws get written down in the cesspool by local request.
If it were up to the bingo bandits alone, they would already have $150 fees
across the board. So you need the locals to request the law to be changed.
When I see a lowering of fees on permits to be amended to the constitution,
I will vote yes even for another county.

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

Where are all these people paying $20 for a permit? I only pay $7.50

Homeless people have that kind of cash just laying around.

Florida pays around $150 (i think) every 7 years. I pay every year and my 7 year fee adds up to $52.50

I don't have a reason to complain...LOL

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

If I lived 20 ft. down the road I would only pay $7.50, too. But because ofan imaginary line, I will have to pay $25. I work in Jefferson County, and spend most of my free time and money there. I live across an imaginary line that lets me have lower property taxes and higher pistol permit fees. (I think I made the right choice, btw)

Just another example of how the county system of permits (and taxes, really) is silly.