• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nations Gun show

wheelerXD

imported post

Just got back from the show. First time I have been in awhile and it didn't seem to crowded today went there to get a H&K USP .45 and walked away with a Jericho 941 .45 which I have been trying to get one for awhile. Had a decent selection of ammo to got a few things of Gold dots and some target loads from Georgia Arms.

tdbarge

imported post

First time I was able to make it out to the show in the year and a half I've been living in VA. Good show. Found a good deal on a new buffer tube and stock for my AR. Also picked up a dummy/practice grenade for kicks and giggles, already had the desired affect on my wife. She called me asking about it since she wasn't home before I had to leave for work. "Um, honey, is this grenade sitting in our living room live?"

Riana

imported post

tdbarge wrote:
Also picked up a dummy/practice grenade for kicks and giggles, already had the desired affect on my wife. She called me asking about it since she wasn't home before I had to leave for work. "Um, honey, is this grenade sitting in our living room live?"
:lol:

25sierraman

imported post

I picked up a charter arms 357 mag pug. It's pretty nice for the price aside from some machining flaws. But what else can you expect for 370 bucks? Kicks like a friggin mule but fun to shoot. Always fun to switch out my wifes 38 special for some 357 without telling her :celebrate.

wheelerXD

imported post

25sierraman wrote:
I picked up a charter arms  357 mag pug. It's pretty nice for the price aside from some machining flaws. But what else can you expect for 370 bucks? Kicks like a friggin mule but fun to shoot. Always fun to switch out my wifes 38 special for some 357 without telling her  :celebrate.

Did you get it at trader Jerry's there was some guy in front of me that was getting a charter .357 mag that had been waiting for 2 hrs and it still hadn't gone through by the time I got mine.

25sierraman

imported post

no it was the other vendor right near jerrys ummmm they were from tazewell va in the back wall. like if you faced his table and turned around 180 degrees you would see the front door on the opposite side of the bldg. my background check went pretty quick only aobut 15-20 minutes.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
25sierraman wrote:
Always fun to switch out my wifes 38 special for some 357 without telling her :celebrate.
Now that's some funny stuff right there!
Doesn't that kind of shenanigansborder on the dangerous?

Playing around with guns is...well, it's playing around with guns.

25sierraman

imported post

HankT wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
25sierraman wrote:
Always fun to switch out my wifes 38 special for some 357 without telling her :celebrate.

she has a firm grip and its already pointed down range when she shoots........ would you like me to not do it again? nobody died and i wouldn't have done it if i had not already seen her fire a 357 competently. ok im sorry please don't yell at me?

curtiswr

imported post

Well we know what the CPWRTPOOCDOITTHTPIISRTHP* says, or should!

[align=center](Don't do it, ignore him.)
[/align]

*Curtis' Postulate With Regards To Posting On Open Carry Dot Org In Threads That HankT Posted In In Specific Reply To Him Postulate

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

25sierraman wrote:
HankT wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
25sierraman wrote:

she has a firm grip and its already pointed down range when she shoots........ would you like me to not do it again? nobody died and i wouldn't have done it if i had not already seen her fire a 357 competently. ok im sorry please don't yell at me?

Switching out specials for random magnum loads can be a good exercise to deal with flinching. But that method requires the shooter to know about the loads in his/her gun. It's an exercise. A lesson.

I'm thinking your practice,if it doesn't include full knowledge by your shooter, is unsafe.

What would a range officer say about your practice, I wonder?

25sierraman

imported post

HankT wrote:
25sierraman wrote:
HankT wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
25sierraman wrote:

Switching out specials for random magnum loads can be a good exercise to deal with flinching. But that method requires the shooter to know about the loads in his/her gun. It's an exercise. A lesson.

I'm thinking your practice,if it doesn't include full knowledge by your shooter, is unsafe.

What would a range officer say about your practice, I wonder?

Ok thanks for the lesson.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Random mixing of various loads is decidedly NOT an unsafe practice. Such has been used by experienced instructors since time was invented. The technique is negated considerably when the student is aware that this is being done. Obviously the ability of the shooter must be considered and all standard safety rules maintained.

Another similar method is to leave one chamber empty or use a dummy round in order to observe anticipation or compensation reaction to recoil.

Would anyone suggest that firing a fellow shooter's gun without first quizzing them on the loads first was an unsafe practice? Are all the loads the same and of equal power?

I am personally aware of a multitude of instructors in both the private and public sectors that utilized this technique. I know of no range safety officer that has ever had a problem with it.

Do I consider it a really good idea for someone who is extremely recoil sensitive or a first time shooter? No. All things are relevant.

Yata hey

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Random mixing of various loads is decidedly NOT an unsafe practice.
I am personally aware of a multitude of instructors in both the private and public sectors that utilized this technique. I know of no range safety officer that has ever had a problem with it.

These many instructors and range officers would approve of how 25S was doing it--without explaining the procedure to the shooter?

Without letting the shooter knowwhat the training technique could be expected to produce in results?

Is that what you're saying, GS?

I'd be willing to be educated on this subject. Any instructors or range officers care to comment on how 25S surprised his wife by switching specials for magnums--without telling her he was doing it?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

HankT wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Random mixing of various loads is decidedly NOT an unsafe practice.

These many instructors and range officers would approve of how 25S was doing it--without explaining the procedure to the shooter?

Without letting the shooter knowwhat the training technique could be expected to produce in results?

Is that what you're saying, GS?

I'd be willing to be educated on this subject. Any instructors or range officers care to comment on how 25S surprised his wife by switching specials for magnums--without telling her he was doing it?
Cut to the chase.

How is it dangerous?

Yata hey