• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can i uoc with open magwell

anthonyakadayday

imported post

Is it legal to uoc with anopen mag well, because alot of people have empty mags in them. It seems like it would be a faster load if it were open but chances of debris getting to cause a jam would also increase.

Mike Hawk

imported post

Yes it's legal, but here's my two cents on this....... Keeping a mag in there has several advantages. Keeping dust, lint, and whatever other foreign objects from finding their way into your pistol is one. Another is that in the minds of a few unscrupulous LEOs, this can be construed as a loaded weapon. Now, I know this is B.S. and most on here know it's B.S., as well as any lawyer with two brain cells to rub together. But the "logic" behind it is that the magazine is considered to be what they like to call an "integral part of the firearm". Therefore, a LEO whom is looking to jam you up for something will reason that those loaded mags on your other hip constitute a loaded firearm. So keeping an UNloaded mag in the gun would therefore "complete" the gun, taking away the whole bogus argument with it. In addition, with a bit of practice, the empty mag can easily be dropped on the draw without affecting the load time at all. I have one of those crappy-ass Mekgar mags that I lovingly refer to as my "$30 dust cover". Hope this helps!:)