• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ABC employees disarm, detain robber - South Richmond liquor store

Repeater

imported post

ABC employees disarm, detain robber

Two employees of a South Richmond liquor store disarmed and detained a handgun-toting robber, leading to one man being arrested and authorities expressing thanks that no one was hurt despite the gun discharging.

"We're very fortunate this incident turned out the way it did," Richmond police Capt. David L. Martin said of Wednesday night's foiled robbery of the ABC store at 618 W. Southside Plaza.

The Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control offered a similar sentiment, noting that its store employees are trained to cooperate fully with robbers.

"The safety of our employees and customers is our primary concern," department spokesman Philip Bogenberger said, adding that ABC officials were grateful no one was injured and that Richmond police were nearby at the time.

20100423_robb.jpg

Qaiyim Amin El Shabazz, 52

Qaiyim Amin El Shabazz, 52, of the 3000 block of Lawson Street in South Richmond -- a few blocks east of the store -- was being held yesterday on a robbery charge. His alleged accomplice, who was stationed outside the store's front door, escaped.

Martin said a store manager and a clerk were on duty when El Shabazz walked into the store at 5:50 p.m., went to the cash register, displayed a handgun and demanded money from the safe.

While one employee was trying to open the safe, the other noticed the gunman didn't have what appeared to be a firm grip on the handgun, so the employee rushed him, a struggle ensued and the gun discharged once, Martin said. No one was struck.

The second employee joined in, and the two got the gun away and slammed El Shabazz to the floor.

Martin said the lookout, who was wearing a mask, came in to check on the progress of the robbery, saw his accomplice disarmed and pinned to the floor, and took off running.

The two employees still had El Shabazz on the floor when police arrived, Martin said.

Martin stressed that police do not advocate trying to disarm robbers.

"Of course we do not recommend that businesses or employees or anyone intervene in that manner, because so many things can go wrong," he said.

Anyone with information about the second suspect can call Crime Stoppers anonymously at (804) 780-1000.

Contact Joe Macenka at (804) 649-6804 or jmacenka@timesdispatch.com

richarcm

imported post

You are always going to be told to just give the robber what they want. But, regardless, if I see a golden opportunity...not to be a "hero"....but to make sure that the bad guy gets arrested, goes to jail and can not rob or harm anyone else....I would certainly do so. I think it is the right attitude to have to defend your stores, set a new precedent for the criminals and to prevent future robberies/violence. But perhaps I am off base.

2a4all

imported post

Repeater wrote:
ABC employees disarm, detain robber

Two employees of a South Richmond liquor store disarmed and detained a handgun-toting robber, leading to one man being arrested and authorities expressing thanks that no one was hurt despite the gun discharging.

"We're very fortunate this incident turned out the way it did," Richmond police Capt. David L. Martin said of Wednesday night's foiled robbery of the ABC store at 618 W. Southside Plaza.

The Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control offered a similar sentiment, noting that its store employees are trained to cooperate fully with robbers.

"The safety of our employees and customers is our primary concern," department spokesman Philip Bogenberger said, adding that ABC officials were grateful no one was injured and that Richmond police were nearby at the time.
Martin stressed that police do not advocate trying to disarm robbers.

"Of course we do not recommend that businesses or employees or anyone intervene in that manner, because so many things can go wrong," he said.

Anyone with information about the second suspect can call Crime Stoppers anonymously at (804) 780-1000.

Contact Joe Macenka at (804) 649-6804 or jmacenka@timesdispatch.com
That's what Hardee's employee Diane Green was supposed to do, did so, and asked forgiveness for her killer.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

...The Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control offered a similar sentiment, noting that its store employees are trained to cooperate fully with robbers....

Oh, that's good - now all the robbers know they can go to the ABC stores and be pretty much guaranteed that the robbery will go smoothly. I don't think I'd ever go into an ABC store unarmed ever again. If the State is committed to a policy of rolling over, they're sure not going to protect me.

...Martin stressed that police do not advocate trying to disarm robbers....

I do agree with this one completely. It's always a mistake to try to disarm the robbers. Just shoot 'em.

Repeater

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Repeater wrote:
The Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control ... its store employees are trained to cooperate fully with robbers.
The ultimate bait-and-switch sting! "Come on in! We won't shoot you or even chase you, no uh uh!"
Picked up by David Codrea:

We're the Only Ones Simple as ABC Enough
Because not resisting evil makes us all safer!

Philip Bogenberger said it, I believe it, that settles it.

Yo, Phil, aside from being a parasite letter agency "spokesman," what are your qualifications for having an opinion on this again? Satisfied Rapex customer or what?