• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glocks?

malignity

imported post

I bought a glock wannabe as my first gun (S&W Sigma) and highly regretted buying it... I sold it for a glock and absolutely love it. Its one of the most customizable guns on the planet. I'm waiting on parts in the mail as we speak.

TylerJ87

imported post

research the safe action system on the Glock website

other than that the safety is in the trigger and in between your ears

I have a G19 (9mm) which I love but I am considering a Sig or 1911 as my next purchase

I would definitely go to a range and practice with a couple different makes and models

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

looked it up, i love it...i dont like the idea of having to take the time to flip a safety, remember, this will be my 1st handgun, when i get the funds ill buy a gun with a thumbsafety or something and practice with it, but for a first handgun i want to be able to defend myself asap w/o worrying about a safety......is that stupid?

Wglide90

imported post

I recommend S&W M&P in Full Size or Compact. I have each in 40 cal. No safety. Each shoot very accurately and comes back on target very quickly.Each comes with 3 grip inserts for different size hands and grip comfort. Balance is great and recoil is minimal. These are very reliable and easy to break down in just a few seconds. Really fun shooters. I trust them each day. Full size for OC and Compact for CC.

Michigander

imported post

It's a good choice, but make sure you like the size of the back strap, or get a newer one with the interchangeable back strap, or be prepared to do a Robar type conversion.

You may also end up agreeing with me that the slide release is a piece of shit, and that the trigger pull is also lousy. But all of these things are easily fixable if they even present an issue to you, which they may not. They are great guns, and you won't go wrong if you get one.

TylerJ87

imported post

looking at the S&W website an M&P will run at least $200 more than a comparable Glock

I think I would rather use that money on about 1000 rounds of ammunition

FatboyCykes

imported post

No shocker here, but if you're considering a Glock, might not be a bad idea to check out Springfield's XD or XDM line. I thoroughly love mine as Glocks just didn't cut it for me. They also have the added grip safety. For what it's worth.

B

Bikenut

imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
looked it up, i love it...i dont like the idea of having to take the time to flip a safety, remember, this will be my 1st handgun, when i get the funds ill buy a gun with a thumbsafety or something and practice with it, but for a first handgun i want to be able to defend myself asap w/o worrying about a safety......is that stupid?
My personal opinion is that any gun intended for self defense use should have passive safeties and intuitive use safeties only. So no... I do not think your criteria for the ability to defend w/o worrying about a safety is stupid.

Other folks may have a different opinion.

I will say this though.... you had best practice keeping your snot snagger off of the trigger until it becomes second nature. You will know it is second nature when you pick up the garden hose (or a spray bottle) and find your finger is off the nozzle trigger naturally.:)

malignity

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
No shocker here, but if you're considering a Glock, might not be a bad idea to check out Springfield's XD or XDM line. I thoroughly love mine as Glocks just didn't cut it for me. They also have the added grip safety. For what it's worth.
I've almost considered trading in my Glock 23 for an XD to be honest. There's nothing wrong with my Glock, and I absolutely love it, but I'm just not as accurate with it as I am with some other guns, which is why I'm buying some parts to see if I can't change that. Wednesday I did some shooting with a buddy of mine, and shot a sub-compact XD 9mm. I absolutely LOVED it. I'm just wondering that if I do need to defend myself, that 9mm won't be enough, and I hate having to buy new holsters every time I want to 'try out a gun'.

Outta curiosity what caliber do you carry? I think you and I talked a little about caliber at the Warren picnic I went to, but I can't remember to be honest. .40?

Wglide90

imported post

I think I said this before but I'm a long time S&W fan and when the M&Ps came out I was skeptical, time has proven them among the best and should be concidered.

I love mine, but everyone has their preferences and these are mine. I prefer the no safety feature and with the safe trigger feature.

All M&Ps I've seen around here are mostly under $600, (The S&W web prices are all high) but you may pay a bit more for S&W than some. But they are not out of range. You shouldn't buy on price anyway, quality, reliability, shootabilityand handleability should all be weighed before price.

Most of the suggestions are great here and it really will come down to which makes you happy, and the feel and shooting are major factors in that, so check them all out, change gripson ones youcan. My buddy and I were checkin out some autoloaders for him at the gun show. I then let him check mine out at home changing out the grips on the FS M&P, He liked the small size and now he wants one really bad.:celebrate

Anyway check them all out first.

FatboyCykes

imported post

malignity wrote:
FatboyCykes wrote:
I've almost considered trading in my Glock 23 for an XD to be honest. There's nothing wrong with my Glock, and I absolutely love it, but I'm just not as accurate with it as I am with some other guns, which is why I'm buying some parts to see if I can't change that. Wednesday I did some shooting with a buddy of mine, and shot a sub-compact XD 9mm. I absolutely LOVED it. I'm just wondering that if I do need to defend myself, that 9mm won't be enough, and I hate having to buy new holsters every time I want to 'try out a gun'.

Outta curiosity what caliber do you carry? I think you and I talked a little about caliber at the Warren picnic I went to, but I can't remember to be honest. .40?
I went with the 9mm mainly because I wanted something the wife would be comfortable shooting. In hindsight, I don't regret it at all. The slightly higher capacity of the 9mm vs. the .40 and even higher of course when comparing to the .45, does more for me than any debate about knockdown power or one hit killers. I think we've all read enough of those to come to at least some consensus that, much like my sex life, size matters much less than shot placement, thankfully :D Seriously though I like being able to carry around 17 JHP's in a comfortable, relatively compact pistol. I carry the service model with the 4" barrel.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Michigander wrote:
It's a good choice, but make sure you like the size of the back strap, or get a newer one with the interchangeable back strap, or be prepared to do a Robar type conversion.

The grip can be pretty fat for some on the G20 and G21 full size models.

I had aG20 but replaced itwith a G21SF which has a slightly shorter trigger reach measurement. Then I later picked up a G20SF.

GLOCK's a very good first gun. Even if you don't like it after 6 months, you can get out of it pretty easily.

TylerJ87

imported post

just try it before you buy it and you won't have a problem

either you will like in when you compare it to other options or you may find something better

I do think that a Glock makes a good first handgun for most people because they are almost idiot proof