Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richmond is at it again... another shooting

Post imported post

I'm not sure whether or not I should have said "is still at it" as opposed to "at it again" because I don't think there has been a recent break in displays of why it's a good idea to be armed for your own defense if you go into Richmond.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/HOMIGAT24_20100424-142201/339764/
    Last edited by Curtis; 07-24-2010 at 10:29 PM.

Post imported post

Police found an adult male in the parking lot of the Have a Nice Day Café suffering from a gunshot wound.
    I'm not certain whether to laugh or cry at that.

I hope the deceased somehow put himself in the situation that precipitated his demise.

Post imported post

Knowing the clients that that place attracts I'm assuming it was mutual idiocy that predicated this situation.

Post imported post

Last time I said this I received heat. But Richmond is a CRAPHOLE. The far left in cooperation with VCU are trying hard to model it off of Detroit. Shootings are not all that rare.

Post imported post

Or Chicago. Or NYC.

It's not a total craphole, as there are parts of it that are quite endearing and enjoyable. But they do seem determined to destroy it from within.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    Or Chicago. Or NYC.

It's not a total craphole, as there are parts of it that are quite endearing and enjoyable. But they do seem determined to destroy it from within.
    Well for starters it is no coincidence that Richmond has competed for the most murderous city in the country for many years. It is also no coincidence that every time I drive through the city there are more and more and more bums. There are more bums in Richmond than in just about any city I've ever been to. Going to the Bottom used to be a lot of fun on the weekends. Now I think you'd have to be nuts to go down there at night. Which is apparent from this new shooting at HAND. The river is gross and I hear reports more frequently than should be the case about bodies being found in it or on the banks of it. Businesses are struggling to stay afloat meanwhile state run/funded buildings continue to expand.

There are a few blocks here and there that are still pretty attractive and fun. But it is primarily limited to BLOCKS.

Post imported post

I still like the Bottom. There are parts of it still worth the visit... but you have to have a purpose. Just being there for the purpose of being there wouldn't make you the sharpest of knives in the drawer.

I have several good friends that live up that way and enjoy visiting them when I can.

But I'd never go up there unarmed.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    I still like the Bottom. There are parts of it still worth the visit... but you have to have a purpose. Just being there for the purpose of being there wouldn't make you the sharpest of knives in the drawer.

I have several good friends that live up that way and enjoy visiting them when I can.

But I'd never go up there unarmed.
    Yes, there are some parts of Richmond that are beautiful. I especially like the bottom at Christmas...but it is a very thin layer of beauty. Scratch the surface and it's a craphole....but I can say that about all cities.

Richmond is just a little more likely to kill you than others.

Post imported post

lricharcm wrote:
    Last time I said this I received heat. But Richmond is a CRAPHOLE. The far left in cooperation with VCU are trying hard to model it off of Detroit. Shootings are not all that rare.
    We don't even hear 1/4 of the murders and crimes that go on in Richmond, I live in a crappy part of richmond and see some pretty crazy things regulary, and often fall alsleep to the sound of gunshots. Needless to say my gun never leaves my side (besides when vcu decides its within their rights to ignore my right to defend myself)

Post imported post

I dunno, richarcm, the fishing is pretty good.

We caught a few dozen striped bass, some hickory shad, a few American shad, and a lot of white perch Sun. eve. A few scattered smallmouth bass also.

Not bad for five minutes from my house.

I did have a gun in my drybag , however. No sense being foolish.
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Post imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
    I dunno, richarcm, the fishing is pretty good.

We caught a few dozen striped bass, some hickory shad, a few American shad, and a lot of white perch Sun. eve. A few scattered smallmouth bass also.

Not bad for five minutes from my house.

I did have a gun in my drybag , however. No sense being foolish.
    That's terrible!

I haven't gone fishing yet....maybe this afternoon, if it doesn't rain

BTW, the glue is drying on you're forend. One more layer and you can have it back

Post imported post

richarcm wrote:
    wylde007 wrote:
    Or Chicago. Or NYC.

Well for starters it is no coincidence that Richmond has competed for the most murderous city in the country for many years.
    I've said plenty on Richmond with regard to my visit to VCU.

That, and everytime I've stopped in Richmond (usually going to VA BCH or back), I get a sudden urge to start stealing things... :?
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

The murder rate in Richmond has dropped in the last few years. The bulk of it is, was, and always has been drug related, mostly turf disputes and deals gone bad. The unsung reason it was never worse is the VCU Medical System-MCV,one of the finest trauma training centers around. There are reasons that the Army sends trauma surgeons to Richmond for training rotations. Small Mouth bass in the James? Now you are fishing!
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Post imported post

It's hard to keep track of all the shootings in Richmond and what's what now, seems like several are reported each day/night.

Post imported post

Curtis wrote:
    It's hard to keep track of all the shootings in Richmond and what's what now, seems like several are reported each day/night.
    And another one bites the dust:

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=12390154

Post imported post

"These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Post imported post

T Dubya wrote:

Illegal immigrants/hispanics are having atough time right now as far as being robbed.
    They always have because they won't report it.

Post imported post

I lived in Richmond, worked in Richmond, and had to kill a 17yo kid trying to shoot me for the pizza I was delivering in Richmond. Richmond is a crap hole.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
    I lived in Richmond, worked in Richmond, and had to kill a 17yo kid trying to shoot me for the pizza I was delivering in Richmond.Â* Richmond is a crap hole.
    Jeez, I can't tell if your serious but thats a pretty intense one liner of a story you have there, care to elaborate? Was this recently? Sorry to hear it but it sounds like you "did what you had to do", and thats just the way it is.

Post imported post

frenchdl wrote:
    simmonsjoe wrote:
    I lived in Richmond, worked in Richmond, and had to kill a 17yo kid trying to shoot me for the pizza I was delivering in Richmond. Richmond is a crap hole.
    Jeez, I can't tell if your serious but thats a pretty intense one liner of a story you have there, care to elaborate? Was this recently? Sorry to hear it but it sounds like you "did what you had to do", and thats just the way it is.
    Frenchdl, that's usually something that sticks with you nd not something most people like to talk about. It's enough that Joe brought it up.

Post imported post

I had to weigh in on this. The City of Richmond as a whole, is, unsafe to say the least. However, when you're talking about Richmond, that generally includes Henrico and parts of Chesterfield. Saying Richmond is crap is like the anti's saying because we own guns were all mass murderers. It's a group of bad people giving Richmond a bad name. Let's not condemn the name of Richmond based on the actions of one group of criminals. Every city, nationwide has its criminals. Richmond, unfortunately is not that big size wise, unlike many other very large cities. But Richmond has also been here a VERY long time as compared to many cities that are still in their infancy comparably. Let's remember some of the tradition and history that's here and try to focus on that rather than the negatives. We want people to stop focusing on the negative actions of criminals with guns when thinking about us, so lets give Richmond that same courtesy. She's a fine old city with lots to offer if you take the time to find it. And like any city, stay out of what you KNOW are the bad areas. We can't always fix whats happening there but we can keep ourselves from becoming part of the problem by not going there.

Post imported post

+1 well said

Post imported post

Henrico's up to 7, trying to play catch up to big brother it seems. Chesterfield's only got a couple I believe so that's good, relatively speaking. The problem with knowing and staying away from the bad areas and the bad people is that they are spreading to the good areas with the good people, which further reinforces my point of the thread: staying armed in and around the Richmond area is a definite yes in my mind.

Post imported post

I didn't say it wasn't. But again, you are only looking at the negative. You can NOT go anywhere where there is no murder. My grandmother was murdered in a county where she was the first in a long time. Still unsolved after 15 years. But you can not judge the whole city based on the actions of a few individuals. If you look for the bad in people, you are sure to find it. I just want people to look at more than a crime rate for a city that's been here since 1737.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Read 'em and weep.

Richmond Violent Crime Rate per Capita

Murder Is 6.08 times the National Average

Forcible Rape Is 1.35 times the National Average

Robbery s 2.68 times the National Average

Aggravated Assault Is 1.53 times the National Average

All Violent Crime Is 2.07 times the National Average

http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime....d&state=VA
    http://www.cityrating.com/crimestatistics.asp

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast