• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond is at it again... another shooting

Glock27Bill

imported post

Police found an adult male in the parking lot of the Have a Nice Day Café suffering from a gunshot wound.
I'm not certain whether to laugh or cry at that.

I hope the deceased somehow put himself in the situation that precipitated his demise.

curtiswr

imported post

Knowing the clients that that place attracts I'm assuming it was mutual idiocy that predicated this situation.

richarcm

imported post

Last time I said this I received heat. But Richmond is a CRAPHOLE. The far left in cooperation with VCU are trying hard to model it off of Detroit. Shootings are not all that rare.

wylde007

imported post

Or Chicago. Or NYC.

It's not a total craphole, as there are parts of it that are quite endearing and enjoyable. But they do seem determined to destroy it from within.

richarcm

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
Or Chicago. Or NYC.

It's not a total craphole, as there are parts of it that are quite endearing and enjoyable. But they do seem determined to destroy it from within.
Well for starters it is no coincidence that Richmond has competed for the most murderous city in the country for many years. It is also no coincidence that every time I drive through the city there are more and more and more bums. There are more bums in Richmond than in just about any city I've ever been to. Going to the Bottom used to be a lot of fun on the weekends. Now I think you'd have to be nuts to go down there at night. Which is apparent from this new shooting at HAND. The river is gross and I hear reports more frequently than should be the case about bodies being found in it or on the banks of it. Businesses are struggling to stay afloat meanwhile state run/funded buildings continue to expand.

There are a few blocks here and there that are still pretty attractive and fun. But it is primarily limited to BLOCKS.

wylde007

imported post

I still like the Bottom. There are parts of it still worth the visit... but you have to have a purpose. Just being there for the purpose of being there wouldn't make you the sharpest of knives in the drawer.

I have several good friends that live up that way and enjoy visiting them when I can.

But I'd never go up there unarmed.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
I still like the Bottom. There are parts of it still worth the visit... but you have to have a purpose. Just being there for the purpose of being there wouldn't make you the sharpest of knives in the drawer.

I have several good friends that live up that way and enjoy visiting them when I can.

But I'd never go up there unarmed.
Yes, there are some parts of Richmond that are beautiful. I especially like the bottom at Christmas...but it is a very thin layer of beauty. Scratch the surface and it's a craphole....but I can say that about all cities.

Richmond is just a little more likely to kill you than others.

halljt3

imported post

lricharcm wrote:
Last time I said this I received heat. But Richmond is a CRAPHOLE. The far left in cooperation with VCU are trying hard to model it off of Detroit. Shootings are not all that rare.
We don't even hear 1/4 of the murders and crimes that go on in Richmond, I live in a crappy part of richmond and see some pretty crazy things regulary, and often fall alsleep to the sound of gunshots. Needless to say my gun never leaves my side (besides when vcu decides its within their rights to ignore my right to defend myself)

riverrat10k

imported post

I dunno, richarcm, the fishing is pretty good.

We caught a few dozen striped bass, some hickory shad, a few American shad, and a lot of white perch Sun. eve. A few scattered smallmouth bass also.

Not bad for five minutes from my house.

I did have a gun in my drybag , however. No sense being foolish.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
I dunno, richarcm, the fishing is pretty good.

We caught a few dozen striped bass, some hickory shad, a few American shad, and a lot of white perch Sun. eve. A few scattered smallmouth bass also.

Not bad for five minutes from my house.

I did have a gun in my drybag , however. No sense being foolish.
That's terrible!

I haven't gone fishing yet....maybe this afternoon, if it doesn't rain:(

BTW, the glue is drying on you're forend. One more layer and you can have it back;)

AbNo

imported post

richarcm wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
Or Chicago. Or NYC.

Well for starters it is no coincidence that Richmond has competed for the most murderous city in the country for many years.
I've said plenty on Richmond with regard to my visit to VCU.

That, and everytime I've stopped in Richmond (usually going to VA BCH or back), I get a sudden urge to start stealing things... :?

The Wolfhound

imported post

The murder rate in Richmond has dropped in the last few years. The bulk of it is, was, and always has been drug related, mostly turf disputes and deals gone bad. The unsung reason it was never worse is the VCU Medical System-MCV,one of the finest trauma training centers around. There are reasons that the Army sends trauma surgeons to Richmond for training rotations. Small Mouth bass in the James? Now you are fishing!

curtiswr

imported post

It's hard to keep track of all the shootings in Richmond and what's what now, seems like several are reported each day/night.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
Illegal immigrants/hispanics are having atough time right now as far as being robbed.
They always have because they won't report it.

frenchdl

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
I lived in Richmond, worked in Richmond, and had to kill a 17yo kid trying to shoot me for the pizza I was delivering in Richmond.  Richmond is a crap hole.

Jeez, I can't tell if your serious but thats a pretty intense one liner of a story you have there, care to elaborate? Was this recently? Sorry to hear it but it sounds like you "did what you had to do", and thats just the way it is.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

frenchdl wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
I lived in Richmond, worked in Richmond, and had to kill a 17yo kid trying to shoot me for the pizza I was delivering in Richmond. Richmond is a crap hole.

Jeez, I can't tell if your serious but thats a pretty intense one liner of a story you have there, care to elaborate? Was this recently? Sorry to hear it but it sounds like you "did what you had to do", and thats just the way it is.
Frenchdl, that's usually something that sticks with you nd not something most people like to talk about. It's enough that Joe brought it up.