• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond is at it again... another shooting

ClumsyCandy

imported post

I had to weigh in on this. The City of Richmond as a whole, is, unsafe to say the least. However, when you're talking about Richmond, that generally includes Henrico and parts of Chesterfield. Saying Richmond is crap is like the anti's saying because we own guns were all mass murderers. It's a group of bad people giving Richmond a bad name. Let's not condemn the name of Richmond based on the actions of one group of criminals. Every city, nationwide has its criminals. Richmond, unfortunately is not that big size wise, unlike many other very large cities. But Richmond has also been here a VERY long time as compared to many cities that are still in their infancy comparably. Let's remember some of the tradition and history that's here and try to focus on that rather than the negatives. We want people to stop focusing on the negative actions of criminals with guns when thinking about us, so lets give Richmond that same courtesy. She's a fine old city with lots to offer if you take the time to find it. And like any city, stay out of what you KNOW are the bad areas. We can't always fix whats happening there but we can keep ourselves from becoming part of the problem by not going there.

curtiswr

imported post

Henrico's up to 7, trying to play catch up to big brother it seems. Chesterfield's only got a couple I believe so that's good, relatively speaking. The problem with knowing and staying away from the bad areas and the bad people is that they are spreading to the good areas with the good people, which further reinforces my point of the thread: staying armed in and around the Richmond area is a definite yes in my mind.

ClumsyCandy

imported post

I didn't say it wasn't. But again, you are only looking at the negative. You can NOT go anywhere where there is no murder. My grandmother was murdered in a county where she was the first in a long time. Still unsolved after 15 years. But you can not judge the whole city based on the actions of a few individuals. If you look for the bad in people, you are sure to find it. I just want people to look at more than a crime rate for a city that's been here since 1737.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

curtiswr

imported post

The point of this thread was to reinforce and illustrate the idea that it is good to be armed for your own defense when in/around Richmond, much the same way the "who needs a gun..." stories do in VCDL's VA-ALERTs.

In order to reinforce and illustrate that idea, it is essential to look at the negative aspect of the city; so yes in a way, for my point, I am only looking at the negative.

Condemning the city or not was not the purpose of the thread, regardless of the direction it meandered.

And while Grapeshot's post may not highlight positive aspects of the city, it certainly says enough about it for me and the point I'm trying to make. As well, it definitely shows that it's not based on "just a few."

Yes, murder may happen anywhere and unfortunately in a lot of cases it does... which is why I carry everywhere that I legally can. But this thread is (or was originally) about Richmond and how the high crime rate shows that it's good to be armed in the city for your own good.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ClumsyCandy wrote:
I didn't say it wasn't. But again, you are only looking at the negative. You can NOT go anywhere where there is no murder. My grandmother was murdered in a county where she was the first in a long time. Still unsolved after 15 years. But you can not judge the whole city based on the actions of a few individuals. If you look for the bad in people, you are sure to find it. I just want people to look at more than a crime rate for a city that's been here since 1737.
You have a valid point Katherine. I think Curtis put it in proper perspective though.

Richmond is full of culture and heritage and in some ways, a very beautiful place, but like many beautiful places...dangerous for those that aren't prepared to care for themselves.