• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's with the ultra bad planning?

kyleplusitunes

imported post

I literally just noticed the Westland OC date is the same date as the Jackson OC picnic.

I'm kinda pissed about it also, I would have liked to attend both, however, the dates are EXACTLY the same.

How about a little better planning in the future, I'm sure I'mnot the only one who would've attended both.

lil_freak_66

imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
Same happened with the Durand Railroad Days event and the Warren Bikeride/picnic....i too, am irked

the durand event isnt a traditional event,more of a meet me out there if you want thing. its a special event for the town,and i cant change the date of that.

i actually HOPE to see alot of events overlap on dates sometimes.preferably at different times though,such as the lansing and battle creek event...and i think another event that same day

autosurgeon

imported post

Which would you rather no events or overlapping events?

Also I see no problem with overlapping events esp if they are hundreds of miles apart...

And in the case mentioned one is a festival that we did not set a date for.

DanM

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
I literally just noticed the Westland OC date is the same date as the Jackson OC picnic.

I'm kinda pissed about it also, I would have liked to attend both, however, the dates are EXACTLY the same.

How about a little better planning in the future, I'm sure I'mnot the only one who would've attended both.

Would you like to volunteer to coordinate events? Seriously. We had events coordination going on for a while, but the coordinator donating his time for it had to stop.

Since you've complained about the coordination of events, I assume you are willing to step in and solve the problem.

autosurgeon

imported post

The events coordinator has nothing to do with arranging events. His job is to post them in a central location which happens to be on the MOC website. He also bumps events threads suggests items that might be needed at an event.

He also keeps a running list of OC friendly places.

I am sure I left something or maybe several somethings out... He can add whatever I forgot.

And he has not quit... He is still hard at work.

Really I don't see what the big deal is... so you have several events to choose from... big deal... I remember when there was 1 event a month if we were lucky and those were only during the warmer months.

mikestilly

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:

Also I see no problem with overlapping events esp if they are hundreds of miles apart...

My answer to this is NO OVERLAPPING EVENTS!! When we have 100 people turn out to every event then I would agree with you. It's just plain rude at this time to overlap peoples events. Have some respect for people planning events.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:

My answer to this is NO OVERLAPPING EVENTS!! When we have 100 people turn out to every event then I would agree with you. It's just plain rude at this time to overlap peoples events. Have some respect for people planning events.

+1 me and devery would have probably made both events each with +2 had they been on different days

autosurgeon

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:

Well I disagree to some extent.

It depends on the events an where they are.

If I have an event in St Joseph and you have one in Warren or Detroit I see no problem as we are drawing from different pools of people.

If the guys in the UP want to have an event at the same time as the folks in Alpena I see no problem either.

Also there is another caviate Seminars and info booths... these can be staffed by 3 to 4 people and if those 3 to 4 people were not planning to go to any of the other events that day due to distance then now they have an opportunity to further the cause that they didn't have before.

In this state there are many festivals around the state that happen on the same weekend some of these overlapping festivals are far apart and some are close together. If we follow your plan Mike we would miss out reaching far too many people.

While I agree for picnics that are less than 100 miles apart for info booths and seminars I feel those can be effectively run with small groups and we would be missing too many opportunity if we restricted ourselves to only one per weekend in the summer.

MOC has 130+ members and growing but we have 700 or so Ocers on OCDO from MI. There is no reason to restrict ourselves nor to say to the folks that are over 100 miles from an event that they are out of luck BC the folks in Warren or the SE area are having a picnic on a certain weekend.

Finally I can understand doing this for say the SE region or the SW region or any other region. But to say that the whole state should be restricted to one event per weekend or no overlapping events is very shortsighted. There will always be event overlap.. however I see this as a positive as now 2 or 3 or however many events there that day far more people had the opportunity for education then if there was only one event.

Note this is my opinion and I am not speaking for MOC officially at this time however I will be discussing this with the board and making my position known and soliciting their positions.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Oh phooey! Every day and everywhere I go is an open carry "event".

As for get togethers with like minded open carry folks it would please me to no end to have a choice of 3 or more places to go every weekend.

And... I truly believe... given time there will be different get togethers available.. some official MOC events... some informal come if you want... and some with just friends deciding to go have lunch.

And all of those things are in the win column for promoting open carry.

WARCHILD

imported post

I for one am truly sorry if peoples feelings and pride are hurt. Not many seem to want to acknowledge that the RR days was not a prior scheduled event. In fact so what if it was. It's all about getting people out and meeting each other. Sometimes it's about distance, I now have an event to go to; I can't afford to drive to Westland so I will be going to RR days. I'm sure it's the same way for many people and some have posted as such, it's too far for them to go.

I had the same experience in Dec, the Ponderosa toy drive. It was the only weekend available for me to schedule it but there were two other events on the same day. There were only eight people who showed up but who cares about how many.
Yes I would liked to have had more, but some is always better than none.
As posted before, the first event only had three people!

Would there be as many people upset if on the 15th there was also an event in TC?
NO... because of the distance, you wouldn't care; you are not going anyway..too far!
So we have multiple events for people to choose from...time, distance, area etc...
This has even been promoted during our first year, people ask about an event in their area and were told to schedule one and people will come.
What do we tell them now; No, can't have one in Durand (or where ever), we have one going in Westland and can't step on their event? Have to schedule one for a later date and hope no one else has it covered.

Have we fallen that far? Are we so full of ourselves we want our event to be "the only show in town"?

I guess I won't be scheduling any events for this summer, it might step on somebody's toes.

JMO

B

Bikenut

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
-snip-

I guess I won't be scheduling any events for this summer, it might step on somebody's toes.

-snip-
Does that mean you are canceling our lunch and Camaro pics?

:p

WARCHILD

imported post

NO...

It's not an event, it's a private lunch; I don't want anybody else crowding us. :p

Of course there will be 3 of us so I guess that qualifies as an event...damn...sorry Jackson.:cry:

ooops that's today, my bad...hope you have a nice event Jackson...stay dry.

autosurgeon

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
NO...

It's not an event, it's a private lunch; I don't want anybody else crowding us. :p

Of course there will be 3 of us so I guess that qualifies as an event...damn...sorry Jackson.:cry:
Ah as Bikenut says Phooey:lol:

You guys have a nice lunch.. even if I wanted to I would not be good company today woke up with a fever chills and upset stomach... anyway you guys have a good time at all the meets!

WARCHILD

imported post

AHAH..gottcha... our lunch date is for Sat, May 1st @ Ponderosa here in Owosso, so if you feel bad today...you may feel better by then.

And anybody else that wants to just "show up" is welcome.