• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's with the ultra bad planning?

B

Bikenut

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
AHAH..gottcha... our lunch date is for Sat, May 1st @ Ponderosa here in Owosso, so if you feel bad today...you may feel better by then.

And anybody else that wants to just "show up" is welcome.
Uh oh.... does this mean this "lunch" is now an "event"? :p

Yooperlady and I agree.... anyone who wishes to show up for lunch at the Ponderosa in Owosso on May 1st at noon is more than welcome. But I'm only paying for Yooperlady's, mine, and Warchild's lunch... the rest of ya's are on your own!!!!!!

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

It's no big deal and bound to happen from time to time.

With that said, YES, I think we should TRY to not have 2 on the same day.

But I'm not going to get all worked up if it happens every now and then.

autosurgeon

imported post

I agree with you Doug if they are in the same general geographic area as I said before. If however they are fairly far apart I think it is a positive thing. It also depends on what type of event they are too.

DanM

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
The events coordinator has nothing to do with arranging events. His job is to post them in a central location which happens to be on the MOC website.

Right. But that's MOC.This is OCDO. Events here may or may not be MOC related. kyleplusitunes postedabout lack of coordination here. My post above stands.The coordination we used to have here, including astickied "events" post,isn't going on any more.If kyleplusitunes feels there is a problem with that he is welcome in(and I would give him a pat on the back for)stepping up and helping others, if they are interested,to reduce overlap amongst the events here and MOC's.

WARCHILD

imported post

Anyone be interested in another free fishing weekend picnic here in Owosso?
June 12th & 13th. I would rather have it on Sunday June 13th (not quite as busy).

In fact...I will buy a box of ammo (50 rnds) for the person who catches the biggest (in length) fish. :celebrate

autosurgeon

imported post

DanM wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
The events coordinator has nothing to do with arranging events. His job is to post them in a central location which happens to be on the MOC website.

Right. But that's MOC.This is OCDO. Events here may or may not be MOC related. kyleplusitunes postedabout lack of coordination here. My post above stands.The coordination we used to have here, including astickied "events" post,isn't going on any more.If kyleplusitunes feels there is a problem with that he is welcome in (and I would give him a pat on the back for)stepping up and helping others, if they are interested,to reduce overlap amongst the events here and MOC's.
Well part of the reason the stickies are gone is due to the forum owners. They feel that as there now is a state OC organization that state OC stuff should be coordinated by them...

Also MOC lists both MOC events and non MOC events on their calender. And our events coordinator does work with events planners from here to get them listed.

I just don't think any of us have the right to tell people when they can or cannot have an event... just my opinion.

taxwhat

imported post

Here is my .02 < What if there was 20 > 30 >60 events on one DAY like A Holiday ? Would one be Not in the News and/or Media ? Any Day Just pick One . What a Pack of Whiners and/or Winners !

autosurgeon

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
Here is my .02 < What if there was 20 > 30 >60 events on one DAY like A Holiday ? Would one be Not in the News and/or Media ? Any Day Just pick One . What a Pack of Whiners and/or Winners !
Good point! I would think multiple events statewide would attract more media then 1 event somewhere in the state...

mikestilly

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
Here is my .02  < What if there was 20 > 30 >60 events on one DAY  like  A Holiday ? Would one be Not in the News and/or Media ? Any Day Just pick One . What a Pack of Whiners and/or Winners !

I agree with Tax on this one. But the problem that currently exists is very little has been done in the form of promotion of these picnics and events. If events we heavily promoted everywhere it would be a great idea but posting an event on OCDO as the only form of advertisement is sure produce very little foot traffic at these events. As for MOC I've never received assistance in the area of promotion, contacting the press, or any other activities related to communication. The same goes for official MOC events. I rarely see this happen even with MOC's own sponsored events. This in my opinion is one of MOC's greatest weakness. I understand MOC has or had a media relations person but I've yet to ever meet them nor seen them get involved in contacting the press, officials, etc. I'd consider it an area for greatest impact/improvement if someone were dedicated to this position.

Mike

DanM

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
DanM wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:

Right. But that's MOC.This is OCDO. Events here may or may not be MOC related. kyleplusitunes postedabout lack of coordination here. My post above stands.The coordination we used to have here, including astickied "events" post,isn't going on any more.If kyleplusitunes feels there is a problem with that he is welcome in (and I would give him a pat on the back for)stepping up and helping others, if they are interested,to reduce overlap amongst the events here and MOC's.
Well part of the reason the stickies are gone is due to the forum owners. They feel that as there now is a state OC organization that state OC stuff should be coordinated by them...

Also MOC lists both MOC events and non MOC events on their calender. And our events coordinator does work with events planners from here to get them listed.
Right. And perhaps the "coordination"kyleplusitunes would like to step up and provide is simply to point this out regularly or do a weekly summary posthere of the events coming up in the next couple of weeks. I don't know. Whatever works best for him and anyone here who wants to schedule their events to avoid overlap. kyleplusitunes complained. I'mmerely encouraging him, if he perceives a problem,to attempt tosolve it.

I just don't think any of us have the right to tell people when they can or cannot have an event... just my opinion.
I certainly agree, so if this is about somethingkyleplusitunes or someone else wrote, I surely encourage you toquote their posts and respond to them.

autosurgeon

imported post

DanM wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
DanM wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:

Right. And perhaps the "coordination"kyleplusitunes would like to step up and provide is simply to point this out regularly or do a weekly summary posthere of the events coming up in the next couple of weeks. I don't know. Whatever works best for him and anyone here who wants to schedule their events to avoid overlap. kyleplusitunes complained. I'mmerely encouraging him, if he perceives a problem,to attempt tosolve it.

I certainly agree, so if this is about somethingkyleplusitunes or someone else wrote, I surely encourage you toquote their posts and respond to them.
That last part was a general observation... not really directed at any one person.

scot623

imported post

I agree with Mike on the point of more advertising is necessary. The Westland event is getting some publicity, but only because their police chief made an announcement about it(and got it wrong, which led to MORE publicity). When I invite my friends(even internet friends to my house, or to a park for a picnic, it's a get together...not an event. An event involves the public with marketing and advertising. All of us gathering to hang out doesn't do a lot for growing the OC movement(we already OC). Only when the public is involved in our events will gains truly be made. This is one of the areas MOC can really improve in the future.

autosurgeon

imported post

scot623 wrote:
I agree with Mike on the point of more advertising is necessary. The Westland event is getting some publicity, but only because their police chief made an announcement about it(and got it wrong, which led to MORE publicity). When I invite my friends(even internet friends to my house, or to a park for a picnic, it's a get together...not an event. An event involves the public with marketing and advertising. All of us gathering to hang out doesn't do a lot for growing the OC movement(we already OC). Only when the public is involved in our events will gains truly be made. This is one of the areas MOC can really improve in the future.
This I agree with Scott. In fact I intend to send press releases on all future events in my region.

That however is no guarantee of coverage as I found with the Portage Gander Mountain Seminar.

lapeer20m

imported post

in a perfect world, there would only be one event going on at a time, and it would be near where i live.

Unfortunately, there are only so many good weather weekends to have events, and they will occasionally overlap. I don't see the problem with that.

taxwhat

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
in a perfect world, there would only be one event going on at a time, and it would be near where i live.

Unfortunately, there are only so many good weather weekends to have events, and they will occasionally overlap. I don't see the problem with that.
This a thought provoker ! Should we allow only one Dream Cruse , One County Fair , or Only One Day For a Gun SHOW ?

WARCHILD

imported post

I also agree to a point.

The event host should be responsible for contacting any media he would like to have for coverage of his event. He knows the local media available and who to contact.
If it's not an "official" MOC event why would MOC be expected to take on the responsibility to contact the media in that area?
Just because you post your event on this forum does not make it an official MOC event. You're the host, take care of business.

For official MOC events, MOC would (and have) contact whatever media source is available in the event area to cover the event.

What/when any event is an official MOC sponsored event, is up to the board of MOC and will be determined by the board. If you wish to have an "official" MOC event, contact the appropriate people and request their support, simple enough don't you think?

JMO

FatboyCykes

imported post

At what point does a grassroots movement cease to be grassroots? When there is a coordinator or administrator or a Junior Assistant Deputy in Training for anything and/or everything? When we as OCer's get upset about there being more than one OC event on any given day in MI? I can't help but think that this couldn't be anything but good.

I dunno, just a question :/

mikestilly

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
scot623 wrote:
This I agree with Scott. In fact I intend to send press releases on all future events in my region.

That however is no guarantee of coverage as I found with the Portage Gander Mountain Seminar.

Come on now LOL. Do you expect a ton of exposure from a press releases? Re-read my post. More needs to be done and a press release per event isnt a solution that's for sure.