• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

O.C. on an Ohio campus?

Mesmeridicus

imported post

Hey guys,

I'm a member of the 2nd Amendment Club of Ohio University, and we've been throwing around the idea of an open carry demonstration on campus. Does anyone know the legality of such a demonstration? The legality of O.C. on an Ohio campus in general?

We'd inform the campus P.D. before hand, of course.

Also, does it make much difference whether you are carrying a long gun or a handgun? Are only handguns allowed?

I've been looking around for info, but haven't found all I need. Any help is greatly appreciated

eye95

imported post

Is this the Ohio University in Athens? If so, contact O'Malley on this site. He lives and works in that area. I don't know how well he knows Ohio law, but he is one more person who might be interested in working with you.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Mesmeridicus wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm a member of the 2nd Amendment Club of Ohio University, and we've been throwing around the idea of an open carry demonstration on campus
UM, why would you want to have a "demonstration"? Sounds confrontational and shows weakness.

A get together - a BBQ - an info booth at the college fair is the way to go - this whole "march" or "protest" thing is not the way to go.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Regarding the type of activity you engage in, Mike is spot on. A barbecue or picnic or some other similar normal activity is how you make people aware of their rights in a regular manner because those are activities that people acting "normally" would engage in every day. I don't regularly see marches, walks or protests around town and am not likely to pay them much attentionbut darn if I don't see folks having a picnic or barbecue on a regular basis. I can tell you from experience that carrying openly doing my ordinary activities has given me greater opportunity to talk about firearm laws with curious people than I've ever had attending a protest, march or rally.

Regarding carry on campus look at the Ohio revised code and observe for yourself how the code regulates carry on college campuses. In other words does the code address all firearms, firearms carried concealed or firearms carried openly?

Ivan Sample

imported post

I agree with the others about hosting a barbeque and give out information about OC. Educate those who don't know about OC and have some fun. You will send a strong and positive message it. Good luck and it should work out great.:D