• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HAD A FIREARM WHEN NEEDED AND USED IT IN SELF DEFENCE.

Haz.

imported post

Many years ago I was camped by a river with permission on a friends private land with my wife and two teenage daughters on a weekend fishing trip. Not long after setting up camp we heard a vehicle aproaching at high speed coming along the trackwhich ran past our camp. I was hoping it was my friend the owner of the property but as the vehicle slowedapproching our camp I saw three young men in the cab of a small flat bed truck. They stared at us but continued on. A few minutes later the same vehicle returned only this time it came directly toward our camp. I told my girls to get intoour 4X4 and lock the doors. The men got out of their vehicle and I noticed they were affected by strong drink, I could smell it on them or in their vehicle. They, in a menacing manner, asked the where abouts of thewomen they saw earlier. I replied they were my family, I did not want any troubleand with a smile Isuggested they move on.Giggling childishlythe threemoved toward me. I,standing beside my trailer still attached to my vehicle, reached over the sideboard and in one quick actiongrabbed, pumpedand exposed my loaded Remington 870 pump action 12g shotgun. The three men literally nearlysoiledthemselves, pushing, scrambling over themselves, stumbling,back tracking to their vehicle as I let one round go over their heads. I have no doubt in my mind what so ever that the day would have ended tragicly for me and my three girls hadwe not been armed. The police agreed whenI reported the matter. Sadly since then the Howard Government in Aus. banned pump action shotguns as being too dangerous for us simple minded people. I handed mine in and was compensated for it. With the compensation I was able to purchase a brand new Winchester 44 magnum short barrellever action rifle. Polies here must believe these are not as dangerous as a pump action shotgun and are leagley available to liscensed gun owners like myself.

Haz.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

Haz. wrote:
Many years ago I was camped by a river with permission on a friends private land with my wife and two teenage daughters on a weekend fishing trip. Not long after setting up camp we heard a vehicle aproaching at high speed coming along the trackwhich ran past our camp. I was hoping it was my friend the owner of the property but as the vehicle slowedapproching our camp I saw three young men in the cab of a small flat bed truck. They stared at us but continued on. A few minutes later the same vehicle returned only this time it came directly toward our camp. I told my girls to get intoour 4X4 and lock the doors. The men got out of their vehicle and I noticed they were affected by strong drink, I could smell it on them or in their vehicle. They, in a menacing manner, asked the where abouts of thewomen they saw earlier. I replied they were my family, I did not want any troubleand with a smile Isuggested they move on.Giggling childishlythe threemoved toward me. I,standing beside my trailer still attached to my vehicle, reached over the sideboard and in one quick actiongrabbed, pumpedand exposed my loaded Remington 870 pump action 12g shotgun. The three men literally nearlysoiledthemselves, pushing, scrambling over themselves, stumbling,back tracking to their vehicle as I let one round go over their heads. I have no doubt in my mind what so ever that the day would have ended tragicly for me and my three girls hadwe not been armed. The police agreed whenI reported the matter. Sadly since then the Howard Government in Aus. banned pump action shotguns as being too dangerous for us simple minded people. I handed mine in and was compensated for it. With the compensation I was able to purchase a brand new Winchester 44 magnum short barrellever action rifle. Polies here must believe these are not as dangerous as a pump action shotgun and are leagley available to liscensed gun owners like myself.

Haz.

So you admit to Brandishing and discharging a weapon?

Beerme

Banned
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Yeah, no big deal now. if it were "many years ago" the statute of limitations have long passed. :p
still doesnt make it asinine bud all he needed to do was stand there with it
If they came closer draw it on them.
no need for a round to be fired

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Haz. wrote:
...Sadly since then the Howard Government in Aus. banned pump action shotguns as being too dangerous for us simple minded people. I handed mine in and was compensated for it. With the compensation I was able to purchase a brand new Winchester 44 magnum short barrellever action rifle.

How much did you get for your 870?

How much did the Winchester cost?

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

I am glad that you were able to protect your family. It is sad that the anti-freedom types have done so much to disarm Australians. I hope that more reasonable laws will be enacted in the future.

eye95

imported post

I have zero problem with the brandishing. The discharge was, IMO, not necessary.

However, I was not there. In the heat of battle, decisions have to be made quickly. I will not fault someone who is defending his family for a decision that can be second-guessed while we sit safely at home with time on our hands.

LadyGreenEyes

imported post

Sounds like the start of a crime drama, but with a far better ending than most! No way that could have been anything but bad had you been unarmed. That's the sort of thing that will make me avoid places I can't have a gun!

LadyGreenEyes

imported post

Beerme wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
Yeah, no big deal now. if it were "many years ago" the statute of limitations have long passed. :p
Are you kidding? Three guys, a clear threat? Were that my kids, a round over their heads would be a mercy. Even the cops fire warning shots, and in this case, that's clearly what this was.

.....two days here, and two anti-gun moles spotted.....

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

eye95 wrote:
I have zero problem with the brandishing.  The discharge was, IMO, not necessary.

However, I was not there.  In the heat of battle, decisions have to be made quickly.  I will not fault someone who is defending his family for a decision that can be second-guessed while we sit safely at home with time on our hands.
+1

Haz.

imported post

Beerme wrote:
Haz. wrote:

Haz.

So you admit to Brandishing and discharging a weapon?
This happened long before liscencing and registration of firearms was introduced in Aus. and long before the Howard government came into power and at a time when firearm ownership wasthe normand people, especially in the country rather than in the cities carried firearms as normallyas we carry cell phones today.And it happened on PRIVATE PROPERTY, a large cattle station.I reported this matter to police who commented that it was fortunate I was able to defend us. The three who would have attacked us never came forward.

Haz.

imported post

HankT wrote:
Haz. wrote:
...Sadly since then the Howard Government in Aus. banned pump action shotguns as being too dangerous for us simple minded people. I handed mine in and was compensated for it. With the compensation I was able to purchase a brand new Winchester 44 magnum short barrellever action rifle.

How much did you get for your 870?

How much did the Winchester cost?
From memory, dont quote me, the shotgun was valued at about $600 I think. The lever was just under or about that price.

Haz.

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
Haz said: with my wife and two teenage daughters

I'm just wondering why three women should cower in a locked vehicle? Why were they not all armed and ready to defend themselves?

We carried firearms back in those days to hunt and for protection against ferel pigs and wild dogs, and to dispatch ferel animals. Rape, murder, home invasions became common place since firearms were banned in Aus. My girls were not armed but fortunately I had a firearm for the valid reasons mentioned above.

If the attachment works. A typical ferel pig found on properties in Aus.

Haz.

imported post

ccwinstructor wrote:
I am glad that you were able to protect your family. It is sad that the anti-freedom types have done so much to disarm Australians. I hope that more reasonable laws will be enacted in the future.

Thank you. So am I and so said the police. Aussies now havethe Shooters and Fishers Party working ontrying to get things changed.Theynow have2 seats in government and the Greens and anti-firearms advocates are livid. Politicians take notice of Votes and nothing more.

Haz.

imported post

Beerme wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:

Hi Beerme.

They were pissed, they asked in a meanacing manner where the ("f#*'n")women were and moved together toward me giggling like mindless crackheads. I previously told them the women were my family and I did not want any trouble. They ignored me. Any normal sober man could see they were interested in nothing but rape and robbery. Maybe you would offer them a beer and discuss the landscapeor maybe you would kindly offer them your youngest daughter as long as they left you alone. They were lucky I let on go over their heads. This was no teddy bears pick-nick.