• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Organic Open Carry - The uneventful 2nd Amendment

F R E E S O U L .CA

imported post

Deathwing_Kingstar wrote:
i've been OC'ing for about 2 weeks to all my daily routines as permitted by zoning regs. what i want to accomplish from a meet is to be able to educate others and to help others gain confidence in OC'ing as part of daily activities. i have no interest in just being able to socialize. i wish to see others out there actively participate in OC'ing.
is this not, what the meet ups were for? To help educate and empower people. In a perfect world everyone would be individually respected and people wouldn't be afraid of cold holstered metal but we need to keep breaking in our communities and empowering people so that its more normal to see guns around everyday on everyday people. I like your take Kingstar...Joe Cool:cool: If you want to be leaders serve others.

F R E E S O U L .CA

imported post

Deathwing_Kingstar wrote:
i've been OC'ing for about 2 weeks to all my daily routines as permitted by zoning regs. what i want to accomplish from a meet is to be able to educate others and to help others gain confidence in OC'ing as part of daily activities. i have no interest in just being able to socialize. i wish to see others out there actively participate in OC'ing.
is not this what the meet ups were for? To help educate and empower people. In a perfect world everyone would be individually respected and people wouldn't be afraid of cold holstered metal but we need to keep breaking in our communities and empowering people so that its more normal to see guns around everyday on everyday people. I like your take Kingstar...Joe Cool:cool: If you want to be leaders serve others.

PincheOgro1

imported post

MarkBofRAdvocate wrote:
I use ideological labels because ideology matters. I am a right-wing conservative who has somelibertarian leanings. Again, ideology matters and a politician who won't clearly delineate their ideology is usually a neo-Marxist (progressive)
I'm with ya on this !!!

demnogis

imported post

The (small/medium sized) group meetups serve their purpose in raising awareness and informing people of their rights. Excessively large meetups can prove to be an hinderance to the cause. The media looks at the large events like they are meant to "shock and awe" thue public. Like meets at Starbucks, this is not reccommended.

Until AB 1934 passes we should be carrying regularly through our day. Keep extra pamphlets. They hardly ever have meets in our neighboring states due to how natural it is to carry there; openly and concealed.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

demnogis wrote:
They hardly ever have meets in our neighboring states due to how natural it is to carry there; openly and concealed.

This is partly my point. Instead of scheduling these meet ups, contacting local police and the management of the establishment in advance to ask permission or alert them of your lawful activities, it should be second nature to carry as a part of your routine.

Open carry advocates in free states dont have events for the sake of being seenarmed, they have meets to socialize and reaffirm their liberty.

This is very different from whatI see the UOC meets are doing- who appear only to carry in 'safe' numbers in 'safe' venues. What happens when the event is over? Does the gun go back into the locked case or the safe at home until the next announced UOC meetup? If that is the extent of your advocacy, then you have missed the point of desentsitization of the public andmissed the point of exercising the pure liberty of the 2nd amendment.

Some of you newer members should look up older threads that detail solo open carry experiences and early police encounters. I believe it is those individual and personal interactions that have a better chance to change the public perception of gun owners. I do agree that meets have their place- but they are not to be the sole outlet of our liberty.

Livermoron

imported post

Hi Everyone,

I have to admit that I and a handful of others up here in NorCal have been largely responsible for some some of the largest UOC meetups ;). In retrospect, I wish we had done more of the "community service" incorporation sooner (such as the trash cleanup at Baker Beach in San Francisco and the Vallejo Youth Swim League Fundraiser Picnic).

Going forward, I will certainly continue to UOC solo, as I often do, and will help spread the word :). I do not think I will organize any additional meetups on a large scale unless we are clearly contributing something that would be viewed as "a positive" to the community.

I know there are a handful of us here on the forum that will say, "just keep it UOC and leave out the touchy-feely crap":banghead:. On principal I would agree. However, this (UOC) is partially a PR campaign as well, and we must be aware of this fact and put a "happy face" on our activities. After all, our message is to make others aware of certain rights that we all enjoy: among other things, The right to keep and bear arms, The right to protect ourselves and our families from harm, and the right as Americans to live in freedom.

I hope others will consider this as well. Support of our rights currently enjoyed in the form of UOC meetups is a good thing as long as there is something tangible attained in the process (IMO).

Carry On!

Livermoron :cool:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Four month old necropost? Perhaps. Self-indulgent? Yeah, a little.

I did want to readdress the problem with waiting for others to schedule an event for the sole purpose of promoting open carry, but didnt think it was really necessary to create another thread about it since this one is already here.

As has been predicted, the failure of AB1934 has instigated another spike in interest in open carry.

If you are new to the California open carry movement, I would say that instead of asking where the next big event is going to be, you should probably be educating yourselves the finer points of California law regarding carry. And if you should find a open carry veteran in your area, you should drop a discrete PM to them and see if they might be willing to meet for an orientation run. Once you have broken the proverbial virginal barrier, then you should be practicing with regularity and consistancy,... not as a one time, gun rights holiday. This repetition and persistance will have an effect over time with everyone you encounter, and while this may not change some people's perceptions about gun owners, the cumulative result will be a broader understanding that not all people who carry guns are police or criminals.

ryanburbridge

I agree with some of what was said in this post.

If you are new to UOC in CA and would like to hang out with other like minded gun owners. Organize a GUN FREE meet up. That way we don't loose our rights. It is our fault they want to take away our guns.

I have been to a couple of meet ups and enjoyed meeting with fellow gun nuts.

ryanmp1986

There's definitely two sides to the issue. Organized meetups are great for newbies, as well as great for like minded Pro-2A'ers. I disagree that organized meetups need to do some sort of community service, I see little to no benefit to that strategy other than making yourself feel better. The PCconcept of giving back is total crap.

I do agree that individual UOC is necessary and should be practiced as long as you have your personal recording devices with you and actually turned on and recording. It still amazes me how many group UOC'ers (both veterans and newbies) don't havepersonal recording devices!

Perhaps your suggestion is timely...perhaps we ought to begin a state-wide, en masse, individual open carry project.

Now just a little public service announcement, I highly doubtany of the "right people" will ever call an end to the UOC stand down. It certainly will not happen before SCOTUS rules on McDonald, and in a post 2A incorporated PRK why would anyone actually want to fight for UOC? Shouldn't the fight become LOC? Besides, they had their chance to end the stand down call post Nordyke andpre en-banc hearing...and they did not do it.

As a "newb" myself.. actually lower than that since I don't pick up my handgun until this Sunday, a meet up is more to get positive enforcement and maybe a few tips. I live in Orange County and the only reason I know about this movement is because while pumping gas I saw a man OC'ing a gun and definitely didn't look like a cop so I approached him. He told me a few sites and next thing you know, I bought a gun and been reading up on it since. I'm don't want to created a mass meet up, just enough so I can learn and see how they deal with the LEOs. Orange County has some jerk cops (not all I know, but there is always the ten percent) and being new the OC'ing I want to make sure I understand all my rights and all the laws. Even though I've been reading intensely and youtubing videos on it, it's still nerve-biting to be alone for the first time. This Sunday it looks like I will be but I'll have my recorder on me and I'll post my experience here. But I do agree that large masses is not a smart way to go because we have to slowly educate the people and not infiltrate them with huge numbers.

ryanmp1986

Four month old necropost? Perhaps. Self-indulgent? Yeah, a little.

I did want to readdress the problem with waiting for others to schedule an event for the sole purpose of promoting open carry, but didnt think it was really necessary to create another thread about it since this one is already here.

As has been predicted, the failure of AB1934 has instigated another spike in interest in open carry.

If you are new to the California open carry movement, I would say that instead of asking where the next big event is going to be, you should probably be educating yourselves the finer points of California law regarding carry. And if you should find a open carry veteran in your area, you should drop a discrete PM to them and see if they might be willing to meet for an orientation run. Once you have broken the proverbial virginal barrier, then you should be practicing with regularity and consistancy,... not as a one time, gun rights holiday. This repetition and persistance will have an effect over time with everyone you encounter, and while this may not change some people's perceptions about gun owners, the cumulative result will be a broader understanding that not all people who carry guns are police or criminals.

I think this is a good idea!!!! Any veterans in Orange County that is free on Sunday to show me the OC'ers life?

leoffensive

I have noticed that there are a number of recent postings requesting a meet up to be organized. I was going to respond to one of these however, I decided that my response really needed a topic of its own.

Our Calguns counterparts would say that these meets are what got usthe legislation that Saldana has advanced. If we are speaking of events devoid of any community service that are attended en masse for the benefit of media or to attract the Brady counteractivists... They might be right.

While the meets at the coffee shops and the mass events were exciting, the fact is that open carry in free states is not an organized one-time spectacle.

I want to encourage those who want to put boots to the ground to avoid organizing meet ups for the sole purpose of carrying firearms in public... (Say what?!?!?!)

I am I asking anyone to stand down? No. I am asking everyone to examine the reason why they want to carry a firearm in public and be honest with themselves. If the purpose is for self-defense, we should be carrying in our day-to-day activities without the need to gather with large numbers of supporters for 'dress-up' events. If you want a group to meet to justify being openly armed, I would say that your motivation is wrong- and on that basis you shouldnt be carrying at all.

When I began open carrying in 2006, I did not have the advantage of attending a gathering of up to 100 gun owners. There werent dozens of forum participants with the resources and knowledge who wanted to keep me out of jail. I solo open carried, bearing all the risk on my own.

Forum lurkers became supporters and others imitated my lead. After a couple of police encounters, meeting in a groupwas percieved as'safer'-- even Calguns suggested that solo open carry was not advised, and that group meetings were preferable to indivdual risk. In retrospect, I believe this policy of "group events only" was completely wrong. In fact, I feel that this policy bears some responsibility for AB1934.

I think we need to get back to the roots of the open carry movement- individuals taking their right to self-defense seriously, carrying as a matter of their day-to-day ritual- (after the stand down- I will be returning to my previous activities, no more LUCC).

If you dont want to go alone, go with a friend, spouse, or wingman.

If you want an event, incorporate a community serviceor act of philanthropy into it.

Otherwise, I believe the meet up for the sake of making an event of carrying a firearm, is not advised or desireable.

id carry everyday if my work allowed it(state work) and if i lived in a different city. some of you may know that santee is riddled with school zones. i never leave my house much except for work. now i do have another job which i know will not let me open carry and if i could its directly across the street from a high school and attached to a police substation. however when i do go outta santee to areas i know are totally devoid(correct word?) of schools i open carry solo.