• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Muskegon Prosecutor, Marc Curtis, bullies and misleads OCer at Gun Board meeting

sasha601

imported post

Here we go fox. Listen and judge for yourself. Lets have a quest. Lets see how many times Mr. Curtis was wrong on the Law during encounter with gun board and OCer. I decided to open the new thread because I am very troubled about his conduct, bullying tactics and misleading statements. I want new thread to have his name in it to give greater visibility.

So, how many wrong facts did you count?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nthDSiKl1y4

FatboyCykes

imported post

Wow....

Kudos to SIGfreed! Way to go brother. What an arse this Curtis guy is, would be nice to see a picture of him eating crow no? Obviously someone put him in his place, at least I hope, what with you getting your CPL back and no charges, at least at this time yes?

I hate these things, they get my heart racing every time I hear one! :banghead:

FatboyCykes

imported post

http://co.muskegon.mi.us/prosecutor/contactus.cfm

Contact Us
Muskegon County Prosecutor's Office
990 Terrace St., 5th Floor
Muskegon, MI 49442
Phone 231.724.6435
Fax 231.724.6685

Prosecution Team [align=center]LEADERSHIP[/align] [align=center]Prosecutor Tony Tague
American University Law School, Washington, D.C. "82"

Brett H. Gardner
Chief Assistant Prosecutor
Valparaiso University of Law "82"[/align] [align=center]Joseph J. Bader [/align] [align=center]Chief Trial Attorney[/align] [align=center]Notre Dame Law School "87" [/align] [align=center][/align] [align=center]
[/align] [align=center]SENIOR ASSISTANTS[/align] [align=center]Raymond J. Kostrzewa, University of Detroit School of Law "91"[/align] [align=center]Timothy M. Maat, Wayne State University School of Law "93" [/align] [align=center]Charles F. Justian, Thomas M. Cooley Law School "83"[/align] [align=center]Dale J. Hilson, Thomas M. Cooley Law School "99" [/align] [align=center]Robert F. Hedges, University of Michigan Law School "84"

Marc E. Curtis, Thomas M. Cooley Law School "02"[/align] [align=center]Matt J. Roberts, Thomas M. Cooley Law School "99" [/align] [align=center]ASSISTANTS[/align] [align=center]Paula A. Baker, Thomas M. Cooley Law School "93"[/align] [align=center]James L. Corbett, Mercer University School of Law (Walter F. George) "93"[/align] [align=center] Rachael R. McEnhill, Michigan State University College of Law "06"[/align] [align=center]Terrence E. Dean, Wayne State University School of Law"86"[/align] [align=center]Alisha L. Riedl, Thomas M. Cooley Law School "08" [/align] [align=center]Kathryn H. Leonard, Michigan State University College of Law "07" [/align]

EM87

imported post

Zig said in another thread that they had no legal way to suspend his CPL (or CCW permit, as they kept calling it :banghead: ). They need to be made aware that what they did was illegal and that they cannot suspend a CPL just because they feel like it. The proper course of action, if they weren't sure what the law was, would have been to complete their investigation THEN make a decision.

sasha601

imported post

EM87 wrote:
Zig said in another thread that they had no legal way to suspend his CPL (or CCW permit, as they kept calling it :banghead: ). They need to be made aware that what they did was illegal and that they cannot suspend a CPL just because they feel like it. The proper course of action, if they weren't sure what the law was, would have been to complete their investigation THEN make a decision.

You are right on, EM87, right on. For anybody who want write e-mails try these:

curtisma@co.muskegon.mi.us for Marc Curtis (prosecutor who was speaking at gun board meeting)

tagueto@co.muskegon.mi.us (Chief Prosecutor, Mr. Curtis,s boss)

gardnerbr@co.muskegon.mi.us (Chief Assistant Prosecutor, another boss)

Yooper

imported post

I would have read him this section out loud:

Sec. 234d. (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises
of any of the following:
a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
b) A church or other house of religious worship.
c) A court.
d) A theatre.
e) A sports arena.
f) A day care center.
g) A hospital.
h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act,…
(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession
of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
b) A peace officer.
c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

Then asked, "Am I currently licensed to carry a concealed pistol in this state?"

Obviously (hopefully) they would have said yes.

Then I would have asked, "So, you agree, that according to the general firearms laws, the CPL law excepted, that as long as I have a CPL I am exempt from the places where firearms are prohibited?"

Hopefully, they would have said "Yes"

Then read them 28.425o out loud

"Sec. 5o. (1) Subject to subsection (4), an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(f), shall not carry a concealed pistol on the premises of any of the following:"

Then asked, "sir, we agreed that I was licensed to carry a concealed pistol correct?" Hopefully he would have answered "Yes". Next question, "the law clearly states, that someone licensed under the act shall not carry a CONCEALED pistol on the premises..., Sir, was my pistol concealed?" He would have had to answer "no".

"So, as we agreed to, the general firearms laws prohibit someone from carrying any firearm into those places so listed, unless exempt by having a CPL, and, we agreed that the CPL law clearly states that nobody can carry a CONCEALED pistol into those places listed in the CPL law, and since we agreed, that my pistol was NOT concealed, tell me again why I'm here"

My rendition of monday morning quarterbacking, over all, I think you did a great job of standing up for what you believe is (and actually is) right.

sevenplusone

imported post

I for one enjoyed this audio. SIGfreed, they way you maintained your calm and collected demeanor was nothing short of amazing. I just wish we had the tape of the conversation where they figured out they had no grounds to do what they did.

EM87

imported post

Whoever put up the youtube video needs to fix something ASAP. It says at the beginning of the first video that "It is LEGAL in Michigan to open carry a holstered handgun in a hospital." This is correct ONLY IF THE OPEN CARRIER HAS A CPL. This needs to be changed ASAP because it is misleading to the viewers and could potentially get someone in legal trouble.