• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waycross, GA Walmart

Neeslycrunch

imported post

I was in Waycross, GA yesterday afternoon and decided to run into Walmart real quick. I was on my way to eat with some friends and wanted to pick up a few things real fast. Well, I start thru the door, and the People Greeter stops me because I'm OCing. He asks me to wait until management can come check my GFL. I wait for several minutes and finally decide to leave since my friends were already at the restaurant. The Greeter told me he was sorry for the wait, and complained that this wasn't the first time management had taken their sweet time to come check a GFL.

I am planning on contacting Walmart's corporate offices to complain. I realize it is private property and Walmart can make its own policy.However, there is no sense in making someone wait for that long for management to check a GFL. Plus, I've OCed in the Walmarts in Douglas, Fitzgerald, and Macon with no problem at all.

rmodel65

imported post

hmm....i OC all the time into this walmart never had a problem waycross is more laid back than brunswick as most people in trucks are driving around with shotguns in their windows. the greeter probably hadnt ever seen it and wasnt sure what to do

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

I probably would have told the greeter that I was in a hurry and I would be in the chip aisle (or wherever) if they needed me.

I can, as a Wal-Mart employee, assure you that the door greeter does not have the authority to detain you or ask you to leave.

Neeslycrunch

imported post

I OCed into the Fitzgerald Walmart today. The Greeter did a double take when she saw my gun, but she didn't say anything.

tkruf

imported post

I agree. The door checker does not have authority to detain you for your GFL to be checked. Actually, LEO is the only one you are required to show your GFL to. You do not even have to show it to the store manager.

Kingfish

imported post

tkruf wrote:
I agree. The door checker does not have authority to detain you for your GFL to be checked. Actually, LEO is the only one you are required to show your GFL to. You do not even have to show it to the store manager.
Welcome to OCDO!!!

You are right. You don't have to show it and they don't have to let you in either. Their store, their rules.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

kingfish wrote:
Welcome to OCDO!!!

You are right. You don't have to show it and they don't have to let you in either. Their store, their rules.
And their (our, whatever) rules are that it is up to manager discretion. The door greeter does not have the legal authority vested in him by Wal-Mart to ask anyone do do anything but "Have a nice day."

If you want to be polite and wait on a manager that is your personal choice. Otherwise, if they want my money, they will leave me alone until I break a law. For a laugh, call 1-800-WALMART and tell them a door greeter refused you entry into the store because of the way you were dressed. You might even get a gift card out of it.

B1911

imported post

Hmm pordon me. I know I'm from another state but I thought walmart allowed oc its. A large corp and like starbucks their policies mirror state law if its legal to open carry in the state it is allowed in the store, again I'm in another state just browsing other states post to see what's going on in oc world and was confused

aadvark

imported post

Solid Snake .45,

I have spoken with the People in Bentonville, Arkansas, and they confirmed that they mirror State Law in regards to Firearms.

I like your Internet name by the way..., as it mirrors Metal Gear!

aadvark

B1911

imported post

lol thanks thats just where I came up with the name and the 45 is from my OC 1911

aadvark

imported post

My 1911 is a .40.

Would not you agree that1911's are betterthan a ColtSOCOM or a H&KSOCOM?

AL Ranger

imported post

On April 25 of this year, I received this response from Wal-Mart.

Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally permitted by their state to carry the handgun.

As a private property owner, Walmart has the authority to ask customers to remove their handgun or leave the store on a case-by-case basis if customers or Walmart associates express concerns about the handgun.

If a customer says they were told by management that they were not allowed carry their handgun in the store, please ask for more information as to why or what reason was given and proceed with a regular remedy ticket as you normally would.

Sincerely,
Walmart Customer Care

ram 150

imported post

Re Wal-mart. I hope Gov signs new law as it will stop Wal-mart from enforcing its policy of not allowing its contract securityfrom even having a weapon in their personal vehicle or having a weapon on Wal-mart property at any time, with or with out a permit even when off duty & that Ga law allows car carry. they also will not allow security to do any thing to stop someone breaking company rules or assaulting someone. (They & the security co. are afraid of the bad guy suing. never mind the safety of the officer & customers).
I am a former security officer asigned to Wal-mart

mzmtg

imported post

tkruf wrote:
Actually, LEO is the only one you are required to show your GFL to. 

There is no GA law that requires one to present one's GFL to a police officer upon request.

groats

imported post

mzmtg wrote:
tkruf wrote:

There is no GA law that requires one to present one's GFL to a police officer upon request.

True - however, declining to show one when asked would (IMHO) create reasonable suspicion to take you downtown,
because:

This law does not permit, outside of a person's home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm by any person unless that person has on his or her person a valid license issued under Code Section 16-11-129
http://georgiapacking.org/law.php

Sure, you could get out of the charge once they frisked you and found your license - but exactly what would you have accomplished?

rmodel65

imported post

groats wrote:
mzmtg wrote:
tkruf wrote:

True - however, declining to show one when asked would (IMHO) create reasonable suspicion to take you downtown,
because:

This law does not permit, outside of a person's home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm by any person unless that person has on his or her person a valid license issued under Code Section 16-11-129
http://georgiapacking.org/law.php

Sure, you could get out of the charge once they frisked you and found your license - but exactly what would you have accomplished?

not if you are carrying openly it doesnt because lack of being licensed is an element of the offense and not an affirmative offense like it is when you carry concealed

davald

Vidalia,GA Walmart

I live in Vidalia,Ga. I OC in Walmart,Lowes and almost anywhere else I go and no one
has ever asked me for my GFL.