• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The 1st Great Maine OC Picnic 4/25/10

denwego

imported post

I just heard a news report about the picnic here on the local news radio in Houston a few minutes ago as I was driving to Starbucks. I've got to give y'all a round of thanks, because it got a lot of people calling in to the radio station to say "if they can do it in Maine, why can't we do it in Texas?" Awesome awesome job, and many thanks, Mainiacs!
texasflag.gif

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

You cannot buy this kind of positive publicity.

Focus was on honest, legal everyday people just going through there lives normally and for the most part the media gets it.

Great thing was seeing LE protecting the picnic goers and the rest of the public from the protesters - sent them to a neutral corner for a time-out. :lol:

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Hightower207 wrote:
wow lil' ole' Maine was mentioned in Texas?!?! Amazing!!!
Doubt that there is a state in the union that isn't aware of what you accomplished on Sunday.

Yata hey

denwego

imported post

It was a good little radio segment, aye. I forgot to mention earlier that they made a slight goof: the host stated that if you were carrying a handgun openly in a holster, you needed a permit if it were loaded (rather than if you were carrying loaded in a car)... I recognized Maine's law and their goof on it even as I was driving, although I had no way to immediately call in and talk about that. It's not a surprising to hear that in Texas, considering one needs a CHP to carry here in public in any meaningful way.

Hendu024

imported post

shanebelanger wrote:
I love how the media keyed on the guy in the patriots jacket... He should've kept his calm and talked much more civilly. Just my opinion but look at this: http://www.wmtw.com/video/23263456/index.html It really made us look like the bad guys. Hopefully the rest of the story counteracted it a little.
I agree. I saw that as well and cringed a little bit. There's always 'that guy' though, you just have to deal with it. Sorry I couldn't be in my home state for the event, I'll be back this summer for a little while, OC'ing as usual :)

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Hendu024 wrote:
shanebelanger wrote:
I love how the media keyed on the guy in the patriots jacket... He should've kept his calm and talked much more civilly. Just my opinion but look at this: http://www.wmtw.com/video/23263456/index.html It really made us look like the bad guys. Hopefully the rest of the story counteracted it a little.
I agree. I saw that as well and cringed a little bit. There's always 'that guy' though, you just have to deal with it. Sorry I couldn't be in my home state for the event, I'll be back this summer for a little while, OC'ing as usual :)
Thanks for the support either way! I stepped in front of Dan Skolnik as he tried to incite an argument with the very same man a little bit later, although I missed this altercation. After i stepped in front of Dan, told him that we were going to enjoy our peaceful bbq and that he had no reason to be over with us trying to incite problems and start fights he simply backed up, turned around and left.

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Great job, Shane, and everyone who was involved. Sometimes it's not hard to look like the sane ones, huh?

Screaming, yelling, pulling their hair out, and us just sitting there smiling. :)

GoldCoaster

imported post

I'm very impressed, and Shane you have done a great job with this. I've hit the FB page too.

Last time I came up to Maine I brought my pistol but didn't OC, I really only brought it up there to show my friend who has a similar one.

If I had still been a resident I'd have been right there with you.

Str8shooter1975

imported post

DOWANT.jpg

redwhitebluecountry.jpg

youndoldandpuppies.jpg

mixeddress.jpg

We got there a little early and had to head out around 3:30. :DNice meeting whoever y'all were. Great weather, conversation, and work by the PD to keep the crazy out of our hair. I overheard some press talking with someone about how angry the protesters were. hehe, maybe there's hope for some of our reporters yet.

Although WMTW's poll and QoftheDay were a little, leading, in tone. "No arrests were made" lolwut?Oh well, whatcha gonna do.

There was more press than I'd thought. Next time, guys, do this lady a favor and get your chicks to OC. I was a frigging magnet. LOL, there were only about four of us that I saw, and I'm including the bow and arrow. No pic of that girl, dangit. That was cool.

Anyway, great denwego wrote:
I just heard a news report about the picnic here on the local news radio in Houston a few minutes ago as I was driving to Starbucks. I've got to give y'all a round of thanks, because it got a lot of people calling in to the radio station to say "if they can do it in Maine, why can't we do it in Texas?" Awesome awesome job, and many thanks, Mainiacs!
texasflag.gif
That is too cool. I've always thought it odd that you can't OC in TX.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

One of the protesters actually came up to me and said "WE DON"T WANT TO BE LIKE TEXAS WHERE EVERYBODY HAS A GUN" I calmly looked at him, smiled and said sir, you can't even OC in Texas. he kinda blushed and moved away with an "oh"

caddydaddy

imported post

shanebelanger wrote:
One of the protesters actually came up to me and said "WE DON"T WANT TO BE LIKE TEXAS WHERE EVERYBODY HAS A GUN" I calmly looked at him, smiled and said sir, you can't even OC in Texas. he kinda blushed and moved away with an "oh"
That's almost as funny as the guy on the news who was complaining about "us people" with automatic weapons that shoot "thousands of rounds a minute"!
Dumbass, even an M-16 only shoots 800 rounds a minute, and the "evil" AK-47, even less!

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

caddydaddy wrote:
shanebelanger wrote:
That's almost as funny as the guy on the news who was complaining about "us people" with automatic weapons that shoot "thousands of rounds a minute"!
Dumbass, even an M-16 only shoots 800 rounds a minute, and the "evil" AK-47, even less!
unfortunately, the sheeple who don't know better will think he's correct simply because he is on the TV!

melinuxfool

imported post

caddydaddy wrote:
shanebelanger wrote:
And of course, the best question is this:
If you have a gun with a 30 round magazine that fires 800 rounds per minute, how many rounds will you actually fire in a minute?

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

melinuxfool wrote:
caddydaddy wrote:
shanebelanger wrote:
And of course, the best question is this:
If you have a gun with a 30 round magazine that fires 800 rounds per minute, how many rounds will you actually fire in a minute?
Wait, WAIT! DON'T HELP ME! I know this one, i KNOW this ONE! 32Rounds per minute! yes! if you take the Coriolis effect into the account and the average dew point on a suburban black top tar road where obviously this test will be conducted and you factor in the person holding the gun being 5'7" tall plus the gun weighing at least 25lbs since it's black and scary! yup 32. final answer :p hahahaha... i had to.