Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Armed man arrested at NC airport as Obama departs

Post imported post

The story doesn't specify OC, but since folks knew he had a gun...?

Armed man arrested at NC airport as Obama departs

ASHEVILLE, N.C. - An Ohio man has been charged after authorities spotted him with a gun in a North Carolina airport parking lot as Air Force One was departing Sunday afternoon.

Joseph McVey, 23, is charged going armed in terror of the public, a misdemeanor, said Asheville Regional Airport Police Capt. Kevan Smith. Airport police saw McVey get out of a car about 2 p.m. in the rental car return lot and he had a gun, Smith said. He was taken into custody immediately and was being held at the Buncombe County jail.

Security was heightened at the airport because President Barack Obama was leaving after vacationing in the state, headed to the memorial service for the 29 West Virginia coal miners killed in an explosion. The suspect was nowhere near the president's plane and was in a public area.

Obama also visited 91-year-old evangelist Billy Graham's home after spending the weekend in Asheville.

McVey's car had strobe lights like a police car might, but the suspect is not in law enforcement, said Smith.

The investigation into what McVey was doing with a gun and why his car was equipped with strobe lights is continuing, Smith said. Local police were in charge of the investigation.

There was no answer at the jail to check if McVey had an attorney.

Obama also visited 91-year-old evangelist Billy Graham's home after spending the weekend in Asheville.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36771668

Any of our North Carolina folks know any more about this?

Post imported post

$100,000 bail for a misdemeanor????? I smell a democrate RAT!

Post imported post

x-sheeple wrote:
    $100,000 bail for a misdemeanor????? I smell a democrate RAT!
    That's what I say, also posted in ohio forum. Charged whith "going armed in terror of the public"...WTF!! Does that law even exist? This is total BS!

Post imported post

http://www.citizen-times.com/article...100425016/1009

and yep in NC gattop is a charge,,not much of one but when they dont have anything else thats what they use

Post imported post

So what constitutes "gattop"? and is $100,000 reasonable?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I got a gun. I got strobe lights, lots of them, a siren too. I am a hick, plain and simple. Must be an anti hick thing. Probly a first responder like many others, why question the strobe lights at all. Anyways, story leaves alot to be desired on facts, such as was he holding a gun or was it holstered. Thought that was just our local hick paper that left out the facts in a story and made it completely biased to the papers managements views. Guess it is all over

Post imported post

Did anyone else catch this guy's name, and think this whole story is a little fishy? Especially considering the timing, and all the Oklahoma City hoopla in the media and their trying to tie the Tea Party and 2A folks to that event?

I smell a "false flag", folks...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    Did anyone else catch this guy's name, and think this whole story is a little fishy? Especially considering the timing, and all the Oklahoma City hoopla in the media and their trying to tie the Tea Party and 2A folks to that event?

I smell a "false flag", folks...
    Yeah wasn't MSNBC's piece on Timothy McVey last week outta nowhere then this???

Post imported post

http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/04/...c-airport.html

ASHEVILLE, N.C. -- An armed man spotted at a North Carolina airport parking lot just after Air Force One departed Sunday told an officer he wanted to see the president and had a car equipped with police gear, including a siren and flashing lights, authorities said.

Joseph Sean McVey, 23, of Coshocton, Ohio, is charged with going armed in terror of the public, a misdemeanor, said Asheville Regional Airport Police Capt. Kevan Smith.
    Security was heightened at the airport because President Barack Obama was leaving after spending the weekend vacationing in Asheville. He was headed to a memorial service for 29 West Virginia coal miners killed in an explosion.

At about 2 p.m., airport police saw McVey get out of a maroon car with Ohio plates and that he had a sidearm, Smith said. Both airport police and the Secret Service questioned him and he was taken into custody. The suspect was nowhere near the president's plane, which had just departed, and was in a rental car return lot that is open to the public, Smith said.

His car was equipped with clear LED law enforcement-style strobe lights in the front and rear dash, Smith said. The car also had a mounted digital camera in the front window, four large antennas on the trunk lid, and under the steering wheel was a working siren box. Smith said McVey was not in law enforcement.

When McVey got out of the car, he was listening to a handheld scanner and radio that had a remote earpiece, Smith said. Police said he was monitoring local agencies and had formulas for rifle scopes on a note in his cup holder. Police did not immediately elaborate on what the formulas might mean and Smith was not available to comment late Sunday.

McVey gave authorities an Ohio driver's license, but a computer check failed to show the number was valid, police said. His hometown of Coshocton is about halfway between Pittsburgh and Columbus, Ohio.

When Officer Kaleb Rice asked him what he was doing, McVey told him he heard the president was in town and wanted to see him.

Rice removed the firearm and took McVey into custody. He was being held at the Buncombe County jail on $100,000 bond.

The investigation into what McVey was doing with a gun, with formulas for rifle scopes and why his car was equipped with police gear was continuing, Smith said. The Secret Service had no comment on the arrest, deferring to airport police.

A jail officer said it didn't appear McVey had an attorney. A person who answered a phone listing for Joseph McVey in Coshocton said he had no idea about an arrest.

Post imported post

Maybe volunteer fire dept? This just seems really odd. If his weapon was holstered, then going armed to the terror of the public would not apply... although, that 'law' seems to have a lot of gray area for LE.

Post imported post

And I would say his last name probably didn't help either..............

Post imported post

I am with you about the fire department also. NC is an open carry state. What does the article mean about police gear anyway? Some of the guys in my volunteer fire department are hardcore...they have antennas for ham radio, a scanner, fire radio, etc. And maybe the guy is an avid hunter. Who knows. There are tooooooooooo many assumptions made about him and his business there. Don't know about GATTTOP either. Who was he threatening ??? Toooooo many assumptions!!!

Post imported post

With all available evidence, it looks like they just decided to freak out becausehe was open carrying. Unless they have other evidence which has not been disclosed, nothing they listed is grounds for a GATTTOP chargeor $100,000 bail.

Post imported post

WNCTarheel wrote:
    With all available evidence, it looks like they just decided to freak out becausehe was open carrying. Unless they have other evidence which has not been disclosed, nothing they listed is grounds for a GATTTOP chargeor $100,000 bail.
    Yep...a good 2A lawyer could have a heyday with this!

Post imported post

random stuff like this deters many people from OCing, from what I can surmise.

We really need to step it up in NC with taking police officers who wrongfully arrest citizens to answer for their crimes in a court of law.

Post imported post

None of this adds up with me either.

Who was he threatening in order to charge GATTTOTP? the rental car guy, watching the lot

Misdemeanor charge with a 100K bail? WTF ! I hope i never litter in NC.

police sirens and lights, and antennas? this sounds like conspiracy to me.

They just did the story last week about Timothy McVey and the Tea Party being on similar parallels, "becareful not to incite the Tea Party, you might end up with another Tim McVey", then this guy (no coincidence his last name is Mcvey, IMHO) shows up in NC looking for the president? It all sounds like too much conspiracy to me. Or someone (ie. Bill Clinton) looking to say "told ya so."

DONT DRINK THE KOOL-AID.

Post imported post

it says he helped local LEO's in his area,which would explain the clear lights,which arent illegal to have anyways...they're the same as amber,i have them.

says he is a HAM enthusiast,that explains the antennas

says he is a storm chaser...which even further explains the use of over the counter lights,HAM antennas and the dash cam.Siren could easily have been just merely an electric air horn,or even an actual siren,which are over the counter in many states,and often used by storm chasers.

and the scope formula's...he was (im assuming) OC a handgun so he probably has a rifle at home.

as long as he didnt attempt to go into the sterile area of the airport while armed....WTF did he do illegal?

if everything adds up the way i mentioned before...this guy could have a huge civil rights violation case.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

we have a great one here in MI,but im not sure if he is permitted to do legal work in NC(they do that stuff by state,correct?)
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

More info from the Asheville Citizen-Times on Mr. McVey.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article...BAMA/100426001

ASHEVILLE — An Ohio man arrested Sunday at Asheville Regional Airport with a gun and police scanners around the time President Barack Obama flew out on Air Force One wrote on one Web site that he planned to become a police officer.

A variety of social networking and personal Web sites also show that Joseph Sean McVey is a HAM radio enthusiast.

Click the link for the rest of the article.

I wonder if a misdemeanor (if he is convicted)will bar him from becoming a policeman?

Sounds like a case of open carrying going badly for the young man. Hope he gets a good lawyer. I don't think the GATTTP charge will stick if he gets a decent criminal defense attorney.

See what Rugerp345 wrote about GATTTOP.

Downloasd and read STATE V. HUNTLEY. The judge in that case stated explicity: 1) Simply wearing a gun in a holster in a peacable manner is not GATTOTP. 2) A man has every right to carry his handgun for any lawful purpose, recreation or pleasure. 3) It is the evil intent that constitutes GATTOTP.

I also recommend you download the NC flyer from the NC forum. When you run across the cop who informs you that he "could take you to jail for GATTOP" be polite, say "yes sir", and request a supervisor. In the whole 16 weeks of BLET they spend about 15 minutes talking about carrying handguns, so most of the rookies and newer guys will be uneducated. Most of the older and experienced cops will have found out by nowthat OCing is legal in NC....

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/42072-1.html

Finally, according to a publication from the NC Attorney General's Office,

Going Armed To The Terror Of The People

By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to arm himself/herself with any unusual and dangerous weapon, for the purpose of terrifying others, and go about on public highways in a manner to cause terror to others. The N.C. Supreme Court states that any gun is an unusual and dangerous weapon for purposes of this offense. Therefore, persons are cautioned as to the areas they frequent with firearms.

from the December 2007 publication North Carolina Firearms Laws,

Publication Website: http://www.ncdoj.com. Once into the site, click on “Crime & Law Enforcement,” located in the top center of the page; then click on “Concealed Handguns,” located on the bottom left of the page.

I think it will be hard for the prosecution to prove Mr. McVey intended to terrorize the public.

Post imported post

TheFreeman wrote:
    Maybe volunteer fire dept? This just seems really odd. If his weapon was holstered, then going armed to the terror of the public would not apply... although, that 'law' seems to have a lot of gray area for LE.
    Volunteer fire or rescue.

VERY COMMON in rural areas. Perfectly lawful. The only lights which are unlawful (to my knowledge) are red and blue. And, if they were not in operation, there is no violation at all.

There is only gray area for those who would choose to ignore the rule of law. Hopefully the magistrate and judge realize the impropriety taken by the officers and move to dismiss any and all associated charges.

Slidell Jim wrote:
    Who was he threatening in order to charge GATTTOTP? the rental car guy, watching the lot
    I'd like to know what "unusual and dangerous" weapon he was carrying. The sidearm doesn't count.

In an airport parking lot? Well that fails the "goes about on public highways" test.

As stated above: I smell a rat.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

Firearms count for GATTOP when weilded in a terrifying manner ( not properly holstered or slung)

Post imported post

wylde007]I'd like to know what "unusual and dangerous" weapon he was carrying.Â* The sidearm doesn't count.

In an airport parking lot?Â* Well that fails the "goes about on public highways" test.

As stated above: I smell a rat.
    [/quote]

Yes, per State v Huntley a firearm is an unusual and dangerous weapon. The highways clause has been misused before.

State v Huntley
    "A gun is an "unusual weapon," wherewith to be armed and clad."

I'll cross post this from CSF.

From the airport press release. Nothing really new here.

http://www.flyavl.com/news-releases/...rt-police.html

Parking map. He was close to the terminal in the rental area.

http://www.flyavl.com/parking/parking.html

It's owned by the city of Asheville and likely falls under this. Not sure why they would use GATTTOTP though, instead of charging him with something else. If a city prohibits firearms in the building they can also prohibit them in the parking lot of those buildings per here, section f.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...14-409.40.html

City of Asheville ordinance

Sec. 12-42. Firearms and weapons.
    No person shall possess, use or carry any firearm, gun, rifle, pistol, air rifle, spring gun or compressed air rifle or pistol or other similar device or weapon which impels or discharges with force any bullet, shot or pellet of any kind, including arrows with metallic tips or sharp tips of any nature, designated to penetrate and propel a bow or spring device, in any park or other city-owned facility. Further, no person shall possess, use or carry any knife, other than an ordinary pocket knife, which means a small knife, designed for carrying in a pocket or purse and which has a cutting edge and point entirety enclosed by its handle and that may not be opened by throwing, explosive or spring action, or a kitchen knife, when it is used or intended to be used for its ordinary purposes, in any park or other city-owned facility. This section shall not apply to any law enforcement officer of any governmental agency or body charged with the duties of protecting life or property or enforcing laws or regulations while engaged in the performance of his/her official duty nor to any participant in a city-sponsored archery program or event.

Post imported post

Yes, a sidearm passes the "unusual and dangerous" test, but unless he was both intent on terrorizing and going about on public highways, the other two prongs fail.

Post imported post

My question is that if he was not charged with brandishing, how could he be charged with "GATTTOP"? Sounds like an over reaction from the police. We all know that t his story is going to fade from the mainstream when they realize that they have nothing to convict him with.

Post imported post

We don't have a brandishing statute in NC that I am familiar with.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast