• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carrying at 19

Corkey 13

imported post

just curiouse im a member of the USAF and like the fact that im able to defend myself in my state. but i keep hearing mixed reviews about weather or not i can carry at my age if you could please clarify for me about what age that is that would be great. thanks again for all your time.

-corkey 13

mqondo

imported post

You can open carry in Utah if you are over 18. You just have to make sure that you don't carry it loaded. You also have to be aware that you can't be within 1000 feet of a school. There are a couple other things as well. I'm sure others will chip in.

Rottie

imported post

Corkey 13 wrote:
just curiouse im a member of the USAF and like the fact that im able to defend myself in my state.

-corkey 13
Corkey 13, would love to help, but you do not specify what State you are asking about.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Corkey 13 wrote:
i live in Salt Lake City Utah.
Bear in mind that while it is rarely (if ever?) enforced, the gun free school zone law makes most of urban and suburan Utah officially off limits to permit-free open carry. Sadly, this is one area where we need to do a lot of work as Utah's definition of a school is far more expansive the even the federal definition.

Utah GFSZ law includes K-12, plus all preschools and day care centers, plus all post secondary schools (including colleges, universities, trade school vocational schools, etc), PLUS any area being temporarily used for a school activity (such as a park, a hotel ballroom, the capital, etc).

Please be very careful about where you carry until such time as you can get a permit.

Charles

Corkey 13

imported post

thank you very much. my only intentions of carrying was when im up in the woods or on my way driving to them, also going up to the range.other then that i'll wait to get my CCW.

swillden

imported post

Corkey 13 wrote:
thank you very much. my only intentions of carrying was when im up in the woods or on my way driving to them, also going up to the range.other then that i'll wait to get my CCW.
Another option you have is to get a permit from a state that issues them at age 18. Maine is one that many have successfully obtained.

The Maine permit will allow you to carry fully loaded in Utah, as well as to conceal. It also exempts you from the Utah Gun-Free School Zone Act, which would allow you to carry legally on university campuses. It does not exempt you from the federal Gun-Free School Zone Act, though as far as anyone here can fine, that has never been enforced in the 14 years it's been on the books.

Corkey 13

imported post

would i have to go to maine to get one or is their other means as far as getting one?

younggun20

imported post

Corkey 13 wrote:
just curiouse im a member of the USAF and like the fact that im able to defend myself in my state. but i keep hearing mixed reviews about weather or not i can carry at my age if you could please clarify for me about what age that is that would be great. thanks again for all your time.

-corkey 13
I have OCed since I was 19 and have never looked back. Still have not got my CWP only due to my own laziness, but still have had no real issues and very few questions from others.

redreed

imported post

I'm sure you know that you cannot carry on base.Unless your official duties require it.

Ubless of course things have changed since I last heard.