• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Epic Failure

Sparky508

imported post

Went to Win-Co tonight with my daughter to grab a few things for dinner tonight.

This old boy comes up and asks me if that is a firearm. I tell him that it is, and smile. Then he asks me, "Whyare you carrying it like that?"

Well, I guess wasn't in to much of a mood tonight, so my response was, "Why should I hide it? Washington is an open carry state."

His reply was to inform me that it was illegal, that I was brandishing, and it was intimidating, therefore it was against the law.

I of course told him that as long as it was holstered it wasn't brandishing, andapologized ifhe felt intimidated.

It appeared to me that he wasn't going to hear a word I had to say and as he walked away, he told me that he had already called the cops.
(Who of course never showed up.)

So I finished my shopping, andheaded for home, all pissed off, for not having my wits about me for not being prepared to verbally tie this asshat into a knot. :banghead:

Iguess you can't win em all.

amzbrady

imported post

You know, I would bet that the term "Pistol Whip" was created with the start of an asshat pissing off someone with a gun who didnt want to file paperwork for shooting them. Course I guess a pistol whipping whould have made you brandish and he definitly would have been intimidated.

nofoa

imported post

Like you said the guy seemed like no matter what you said he wasn't going to listen. Maybe he will be bothered enough to look up the law again.

You were right he was wrong.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I am glad you were open carrying and handled yourself well.

I don't apologize for how people "feel" though, it isn't our fault they have hoplophobia.

heresolong

imported post

Sparky508 wrote:
I would say you did win. You kept your cool, you educated him as to the facts, and the confrontation ended. There is not really a better outcome as he obviously was ignorant and had no intention of recognizing that fact. The only thing that could have gone better was if you had been able to give him a flyer, but my guess is he wouldn't have taken it anyway.

Sparky508

imported post

I have to say one of the things that really threw me, was when he used the verbiage,

"brandishing", and "cause for alarm"

I kept thinking, during and after the fact, that this freakin knob had eitherread enough to be misinformed or thathe was a localLE transplant or something?

Really weirded me out as I haven't had a negative experience where I didn't come out on top, or at least seemed to get the point out.

99% of the time its been,"You can do that?" or the rare manager type, just kind of checking me out real sheepishly. Always ended up being a positive thing in the end, mostly conversational, never confrontational.

I guess I'm just crying, cause I lost my 1st pissing match to some ass clown.

He done went hurt my sensitive little feeling.......:cry:

David.Car

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Things like that tend to bug me for quite a while too. Try to let it go. Hopefully, he did call the cops, but sounds like he didn't. :cuss: Wuss.

Correction.

Hopefully he DID call the cops and they asked the right questions that led them to respond that he was legally carrying and there was no need to dispatch anyone.

Bersa.380

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
I am glad you were open carrying and handled yourself well.

I don't apologize for how people "feel" though, it isn't our fault they have hoplophobia.

Hoplophobia from the Greek hoplon, or weapon, is defined as the "fear of firearms"[1][/suP][2][/suP][3][/suP] and as the "fear of armed citizens".[4][/suP]

Firearms instructor and writer Colonel Jeff Cooper claimed to have coined the word in 1962[5][/suP] to describe a "mental disturbance characterized by irrational aversion to weapons".[6][/suP] Although not a mental health professional, Cooper employed the term as an alternative to slang terms, stating: "We read of 'gun grabbers' and 'anti-gun nuts' but these slang terms do not (explain this behavior)." Cooper attributed this behavior to an irrational fear of firearms and other forms of weaponry. He stated that "the most common manifestation of hoplophobia is the idea that instruments possess a will of their own, apart from that of their user."[7][/suP] Writing in an opinion piece, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review columnist Dimitri Vassilaros asserted that the term was intended by Cooper as tongue-in-cheek.[8][/suP]

The meaning and usage ascribed by Cooper falls outside of the medical definitions of true specific phobias. For example, specific phobias require that the person be aware and acknowledge that their fear is irrational, and usually causes some kind of functional impairment.[citation needed][/suP] True medical phobias of firearms and other weapons can exist, but are unusual.[9][/suP]

The term hoplophobe has been used to encourage constituent letter writing and to raise funds by at least one gun rights advocacy group. They have employed the term hoplophobe to characterize their opponents as outrageous fear-mongerers, and as being irrationally fearful.[10][/suP]

ChuckUFarley

imported post

Sparky508 wrote:
Went to Win-Co tonight with my daughter to grab a few things for dinner tonight.

This old boy comes up and asks me if that is a firearm. I tell him that it is, and smile. Then he asks me, "Whyare you carrying it like that?"

Well, I guess wasn't in to much of a mood tonight, so my response was, "Why should I hide it? Washington is an open carry state."

His reply was to inform me that it was illegal, that I was brandishing, and it was intimidating, therefore it was against the law.

I of course told him that as long as it was holstered it wasn't brandishing, andapologized ifhe felt intimidated.

It appeared to me that he wasn't going to hear a word I had to say and as he walked away, he told me that he had already called the cops.
(Who of course never showed up.)

So I finished my shopping, andheaded for home, all pissed off, for not having my wits about me for not being prepared to verbally tie this asshat into a knot. :banghead:

Win-Co sucks anyway

Sparky508

imported post

It was the Win-Co in Graham, and the approaching individual was a customer.

And yes, while Win-Co does suck, with their long lines and their questionable customer base :shock:

they are cheap, and other than this one time, I have never had a problemopenly carrying in their store.

Have actually had a couple of very nice encounters while doing so.

amzbrady

imported post

Only employees can tell you to leave, if you dont, you can be criminal trespass. Gotta get yourself some OCDO flyers to hand out when someone approaches you. The general public is just that, the general public, some of which can be generally annoying.

Window_Seat

imported post

RCW 9.41.270: Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm — Unlawful carrying or handling — Penalty — Exceptions.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.
Again, here we have an unclear & ambiguous section regarding the carrying of firearms.

No, I'm not a lawyer, no now that I've gotten that out of the way...

The "OR(s)" I specify should have been an "AND", because now a prosecutor can use it to say "He warranted alarm" simply by virtue of the fact that you or I carried in a belt holster inside of Cabela's without even touching it or coming into eye contact with anyone.

Any person who in their right or "not so right" mind can call the cops and say "He is scaring the sheep with his gun", and that would be enough to make a prosecutor very happy about his occupation, and effectively destroy your life beyond recognition, no? A person could say "He might not have intimidated me, but he "CERTAINLY WARRANTED ALARM" for sure.:banghead:

What needs to be done in the next session is that the "OR(s)" need to be replaced with "and", & the "EITHER" needs a strike-through so as to stop the abuse by those who are simply anti, and enjoy lying to the Police & Prosecutors.

Erik.

amzbrady

imported post

Window_Seat wrote:
RCW 9.41.270: Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm — Unlawful carrying or handling — Penalty — Exceptions.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.
Again, here we have an unclear & ambiguous section regarding the carrying of firearms.

No, I'm not a lawyer, no now that I've gotten that out of the way...

The "OR(s)" I specify should have been an "AND", because now a prosecutor can use it to say "He warranted alarm" simply by virtue of the fact that you or I carried in a belt holster inside of Cabela's without even touching it or coming into eye contact with anyone.

Any person who in their right or "not so right" mind can call the cops and say "He is scaring the sheep with his gun", and that would be enough to make a prosecutor very happy about his occupation, and effectively destroy your life beyond recognition, no? A person could say "He might not have intimidated me, but he "CERTAINLY WARRANTED ALARM" for sure.:banghead:

What needs to be done in the next session is that the "OR(s)" need to be replaced with "and", & the "EITHER" needs a strike-through so as to stop the abuse by those who are simply anti, and enjoy lying to the Police & Prosecutors.

Erik.
I'll sign the petition

Glock17

imported post

Sounds like you got through this one pretty good. I would probably studder through these kind of encounters. I know that people mean well but if they don't know the law then why do they approach people acting like they do? But I think you handled it brilliantly and could have been nasty with this individual if you wanted. It seems like they didn't even know what brandishing means. What a shame people are so weak minded. Cheers