• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Beginner's pistol/ Gun liscence

lawhejr

imported post

I am thinking about getting a pistol but just turned 18. I was wondering what sort of pistol would be good to get for a beginner preferably cheap and also where in Battle Creek to go for a gun training class to carry a concealed weapon. I know you don't have to have a licence to own a gun but I would still like the class.

MarineSgt

imported post

lawhejr wrote:
I am thinking about getting a pistol but just turned 18. I was wondering what sort of pistol would be good to get for a beginner preferably cheap and also where in Battle Creek to go for a gun training class to carry a concealed weapon. I know you don't have to have a licence to own a gun but I would still like the class.

Talk to Joel or Jared Fulton at the Southside Sporstmans Club in Battle Creek. Here is the website: http://www.southsidesportsmanclub.com/

They do all sorts of firearm classes as well as the CPL class. There is also a gun shop there and they can help you find something in your price range. If you tell us how much you want to spend on a "cheap" pistol we can give you some ideas.

lawhejr

imported post

Unfortunately I don't really know what "cheap" would be since I only just started looking at guns seriously. Probably no more than $200 but I have no idea...

EM87

imported post

I would love to recommend a great all-around beginner's pistol to you, but unfortunately there is no such thing. Every person will have a different level of comfort with each individual gun. The best way to go about finding a first pistol is to handle as many as you can. Find one that feels comfortable in your hand.

As for caliber, 9mm is always a great choice. It's cheap, doesn't have a ton of recoil like larger calibers, but powerful enough to use as a self defense caliber (and many do!)

You won't be able to apply for a CPL until you turn 21, but you MAY be able to take the course. I'm not sure. I would suggest, however, a beginner's pistol course instead. That will teach you basic firearm safety and operations.

Lastly, if you don't know already, you can't buy a pistol from a dealer until you're 21. It has to be a private sale at your age.

I hope this information helps!

EM87

imported post

lawhejr wrote:
Unfortunately I don't really know what "cheap" would be since I only just started looking at guns seriously.  Probably no more than $200 but I have no idea...

You won't find much at that price. I'd recommend saving a a few hundred more, if your finances allow. You can find some great pistols for $400-$500.

Savage.Detroit

imported post

lawhejr wrote:
I am thinking about getting a pistol but just turned 18.  I was wondering what sort of pistol would be good to get for a beginner preferably cheap and also where in Battle Creek to go for a gun training class to carry a concealed weapon.  I know you don't have to have a licence to own a gun but I would still like the class.

Well since your just 18 and you can not get a CPL until 21, I wouldn't worry about a concealed weapon or CPL class. CPL class certificates are only good for so long. It is still a good idea to get training but most of the CPL type classes are kind of worthless in that regard.

Also, you must note that a FFL, like a gunstore, can not sell you a pistol unless you are 21 which means you will have to purchase a pistol from a private sale. Go over to MiGunowners.org and check their classified section.

Best thing to do is try out as many handguns as you can. I am 90% sure you can't rent a handgun from an FFL when under 21 but maybe someone else can confirm. You might have to beg someone that has a handgun you like to take you along with them when they go to the range.

MarineSgt

imported post

I would agree that 9mm is a GREAT choice for a first pistol. I bought a Taurus PT111 Millenium for my wife and she loves it. I actually conceal carry it. You can get them from $250-$350 depending. Take a look at the firearm for sale forum here.

My first pistol was a Glock 19 which is a compact Glock model in 9mm.

craigm

imported post

Savage.Detroit wrote:
CPL class certificates are only good for so long.
The certificates do not have an expiration date, and Michigan law doesn't require that certificate to be earned in any specific timeframe. I do highly recommend taking some sort of refresher course every so often, but it's not legally mandated.

Savage.Detroit

imported post

craigm wrote:
The certificates do not have an expiration date, and Michigan law doesn't require that certificate to be earned in any specific timeframe.  I do highly recommend taking some sort of refresher course every so often, but it's not legally mandated.

Sorry, you are right. I was thinking it was 6 months but that is only for renewals and not a new CPL app (3 hours of review /1 hour range time within 6 months).

22-250

imported post

craigm wrote:
Savage.Detroit wrote:
CPL class certificates are only good for so long.
The certificates do not have an expiration date, and Michigan law doesn't require that certificate to be earned in any specific timeframe. I do highly recommend taking some sort of refresher course every so often, but it's not legally mandated.

Yep + 1

Bronson

imported post

.22s make great first pistols. All the skills you need to learn in regards to safe gun handling and shooting can be learned with a .22. You can pick up a used Taurus .22 revolver for a couple hundred bucks and shoot the snot out of it for super cheap. Not to mention that Taurus will still honor the warranty on any gun you buy used while most other gun makers only honor the warranty for the original owner.

.22sare cheap to buy, cheap to feed, reliable, fun, and a great training firearm...I recommend them highly.

Bronson

malignity

imported post

lawhejr wrote:
Ok I did not know you had to be 21 to purchase or to get the permit.  This helps quite a bit thank you.

You can get a permit to purchase a handgun at 18, not 21. You cannot however use that purchase permit to purchase from a firearms dealer, only a private seller. Hopefully that helps some?

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

.22s are loads of fun, and cheap to operate.

9mm is absolutely the smallest defensive round, but if youre thinking ahead, you might know that someone being shot at will usually try to hide behind something, at which point a 9 wont do a whole lot for you.

As far as a cheap gun goes, you could get a hi point, but other than getting teased relentlessly, you get what you pay for.

WARCHILD

imported post

If you find a pistol you want though, you can always have someone who's 21 or older buy it and then transfer it to you.

NEVER suggest this!!!:uhoh:
That is an intentional straw purchase which is illegal.

MarineSgt

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
If you find a pistol you want though, you can always have someone who's 21 or older buy it and then transfer it to you.

NEVER suggest this!!!:uhoh:
That is an intentional straw purchase which is illegal.
It's not illegal as long as he buys it and then registers it. Once it is registered he can sell it to anyone he wants, with a PP permit.

A straw purchase happens when someone buys a gun for someone else who cannot own a firearm. This action happens to conceal the identity of the true buyer. That is what is illegal.

1245A Defender

imported post

the idea of straw purchase always causes a ruckus....

IF!! you find a gun at a dealer you want to own,,, CONVINCE a friend to buy one, to see IF they like it...
in a few days ,,,when they decide they dont really like the gun,,, then you OFFER to buy it from them!!!

if it is done this way,, it is not a straw purchase!!

WARCHILD

imported post

Agree.... my only point is this type of activity should NEVER be discussed on an open forum. Given the state of the legal system in this country; I would not want to be a test case on any type of straw purchase. Especially since I will be judged by some one else on the definition of a straw purchase.

This info should always be done via PM and keep it off the forum.

JMO

FatboyCykes

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
.22s are loads of fun, and cheap to operate.

9mm is absolutely the smallest defensive round, but if youre thinking ahead, you might know that someone being shot at will usually try to hide behind something, at which point a 9 wont do a whole lot for you.

As far as a cheap gun goes, you could get a hi point, but other than getting teased relentlessly, you get what you pay for.
Nonsense. Cite?

ETA: http://www.google.com/search?q=9mm+...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a