• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

check this out, seems fishy

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/04/25/armed-man-arrested-airport-obama-departs/

ASHEVILLE, N.C. -- An Ohio man has been charged after authorities spotted him with a gun in a North Carolina airport parking lot as Air Force One was departing Sunday afternoon.
Joseph McVey, 23, is charged with going armed in terror of the public, a misdemeanor, said Asheville Regional Airport Police Capt. Kevan Smith. Airport police saw McVey get out of a car about 2 p.m. in the rental car return lot and he had a gun, Smith said. He was taken into custody immediately and was being held at the Buncombe County jail.
Security was heightened at the airport because President Barack Obama was leaving after vacationing in the state, headed to the memorial service for the 29 West Virginia coal miners killed in an explosion. The suspect was nowhere near the president's plane and was in a public area.
Obama also visited 91-year-old evangelist Billy Graham's home after spending the weekend in Asheville.
McVey's car had strobe lights like a police car might, but the suspect is not in law enforcement, said Smith.
The investigation into what McVey was doing with a gun and why his car was equipped with strobe lights is continuing, Smith said. Local police were in charge of the investigation. The Secret Service had no comment on the arrest, deferring to airport police.
A jail officer did not have a hometown listed for McVey and said it didn't appear McVey had an attorney. His bond was set at $100,000.

Cobra469

imported post

Wondering if the "strobe lights" they are referring to are amber strobes not uncommonly used by the construction industry.Did anybody ask if he was a sharpshooter? After all carrying a pistol in a public area at a great distance from Air Force One or the Presidents secured area is hardly a direct threat. While I understand that in the name of "National Security" it may be necessary to investigate the incident I am not yet seeing anything that would warrant an arrest. After all he may have had legitimate business there. The story is too breif to properly make any judgements at this time but does make one very curious.

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

UPDATE!!!
Still dont think they had enough to arrest this guy. The pigs are hard at work again violating rights.

ASHEVILLE, N.C. -- An armed man spotted at a North Carolina airport parking lot just after Air Force One departed Sunday told an officer he wanted to see the president and had a car equipped with police gear, including a siren and flashing lights, authorities said.
Joseph Sean McVey, 23, of Coshocton, Ohio, is charged with going armed in terror of the public, a misdemeanor, said Asheville Regional Airport Police Capt. Kevan Smith.
Security was heightened at the airport because President Barack Obama was leaving after spending the weekend vacationing in Asheville. He was headed to a memorial service for 29 West Virginia coal miners killed in an explosion.
At about 2 p.m., airport police saw McVey get out of a maroon car with Ohio plates and that he had a sidearm, Smith said. Both airport police and the Secret Service questioned him and he was taken into custody. The suspect was nowhere near the president's plane, which had just departed, and was in a rental car return lot that is open to the public, Smith said.
His car was equipped with clear LED law enforcement-style strobe lights in the front and rear dash, Smith said. The car also had a mounted digital camera in the front window, four large antennas on the trunk lid, and under the steering wheel was a working siren box. Smith said McVey was not in law enforcement.
ogunmannc_small2_190x107.jpg
April 25: Joseph Sean McVey is seen in this mug shot provided by the Buncombe County Sheriff's Office.
When McVey got out of the car, he was listening to a handheld scanner and radio that had a remote earpiece, Smith said. Police said he was monitoring local agencies and had formulas for rifle scopes on a note in his cup holder. Police did not immediately elaborate on what the formulas might mean and Smith was not available to comment late Sunday.
McVey gave authorities an Ohio driver's license, but a computer check failed to show the number was valid, police said. His hometown of Coshocton is about halfway between Pittsburgh and Columbus, Ohio.
When Officer Kaleb Rice asked him what he was doing, McVey told him he heard the president was in town and wanted to see him.
Rice removed the firearm and took McVey into custody. He was being held at the Buncombe County jail on $100,000 bond.
The investigation into what McVey was doing with a gun, with formulas for rifle scopes and why his car was equipped with police gear was continuing, Smith said. The Secret Service had no comment on the arrest, deferring to airport police.
A jail officer said it didn't appear McVey had an attorney.

AaronS

imported post

White strobe lights, a camera mounted on the dash, four large antennas on the trunk, a siren, and a scanner. This guy is a cop want to be for sure.

"McVey gave authorities an Ohio driver's license, but a computer check failed to show the number was valid"... I think this would be great grounds (if you look at the full picture) to bring this guy in for a bit of questioning. At the same time, I also know that wecan't always trust whatwe read, so I have to wait to hear the rest of this story before I can come out and call this guy a nut job.

Cobra469

imported post

Everything short of the siren could be easily explained. Even the siren is understandable if he is a firefighter and meets the appropriate requirements to have such. Don't agree with the charges or the bail limits from the information provided. But at the same time it does appear that there just might be more to this individual than we are hearing about. Wouldn't have suprised me if they had arrested him under theexcuse of "National Security."

Is there enough cause for further investigation? Yes. Should he have been charged with the offenses that he was? No. Just my opinion.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Hmm, where is it written that you can not legally have these items? Where is it written that you can not have forumlas for rifle scopes?

Where is it written that you can not possess a firearm in a state where the president is visiting?

Why would you give the police a fake drivers license? I can see some one giving a fake drivers license to a bar tender but not a cop. There could be a simple explanation for the license issue.

I think this is nothing more than a reaction over the 2A March and the gathering of gunners in Virginia. Just because the guy OC's doesn't mean he was considering doing any harm to the president. Obama wasn't even there, his flight already left.

I think this will get thrown out. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I guess if this guy is a terrorist then so is Protias. Sorry Protias, just being sarcastic.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

Spartacus wrote:
Was the car a Honda? I think Protias oughta get in on this thread!

Protias has a Hyundai.

Is having all those lights/sirens illegal? I thought I could have anything I want as long as I didn't use them.