• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Iowa OC W/O permit

GWbiker

imported post

So, when is it going to happen? Also, what about "Shall Issue" permit status??

IA_farmboy

imported post

GWbiker wrote:

No idea on any unlicensed open carry law. The constitutional carry bill died by a narrow vote. It will likely come up again so vote for people you think that will support such a law. Unlicensed open carry is already lawful outside city limits and on private property but you will need a permit to keep it loaded and available in your car so unload and stow while on the road.

The shall issue bill is on the governor's desk. With the legislature out of session there is a slim to none chance of a veto override if he chooses to veto or allow it to expire at the end of the week.

GWbiker

imported post

IA_farmboy wrote:
GWbiker wrote:

No idea on any unlicensed open carry law. The constitutional carry bill died by a narrow vote. It will likely come up again so vote for people you think that will support such a law. Unlicensed open carry is already lawful outside city limits and on private property but you will need a permit to keep it loaded and available in your car so unload and stow while on the road.

The shall issue bill is on the governor's desk. With the legislature out of session there is a slim to none chance of a veto override if he chooses to veto or allow it to expire at the end of the week.

Interesting.

Arizona allows legal OC without a permit and in near future legal CC without a 5 year permit. Arizona also is a "Shall Issue" CCW permit state.

So, why do you travel to the Arizona OC subforum and preach to us on AZ OC issues when there's gun law related work to be done in Iowa?

Straight_Shooter

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
IA_farmboy wrote:
GWbiker wrote:

Interesting.

Arizona allows legal OC without a permit and in near future legal CC without a 5 year permit. Arizona also is a "Shall Issue" CCW permit state.

So, why do you travel to the Arizona OC subforum and preach to us on AZ OC issues when there's gun law related work to be done in Iowa?

GW -

1) Congrats on your new law . . . many of us were pushing this yearforrecognition of the 2Ahere in Iowa, but the NRA and it's local "affiliate," Iowa Carry, refused to support it (other than lip service). They just kept saying the same old mindless nonsense about "you can't get it passed here right now" (the NRA has a history of trying to slow down "Constitutional carry" . . I talked to the gal in Alaska whosponsored the bill thereand she told me the NRA was her worst enemy).

In spite of the NRA, our "no compromise group," Iowa Gun Owners, heroically put a tremendous amount of pressure on the victim disarming group inDes Moines and managed to take the vote to a5 vote margin in the House, and 6 in the Senate. If the NRA and IC hadbacked the legislation, by actively engagingtheir members to lobbyfor it,these few votes would have beenpretty easy to get.

2) Please be patient with IA_FB . . . I understand your angst with those who are stuck in the statist midset to one degree or another, butsome of usare trying to develop more manly men here in Iowa (which is very hard to dowhen you live in one of thebiggest nanny states around!). . . and I suspect that exposure to realmen in AZ could only help that end.

Again . . . CONGRATS on being one of the early states to recover your second amendment freedom!!!

SS

IA_farmboy

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
IA_farmboy wrote:
GWbiker wrote:

Interesting.

Oh, I see. You weren't actually interested in Iowa law but you were just looking for a reason to troll. Well, you got me. Happy now?

Oh, and I answered your question in the Arizona forum. It seems you missed it. Perhaps you should go back and look through that thread again.

SigSauer232

imported post

Straight_Shooter wrote:
In spite of the NRA, our "no compromise group," Iowa Gun Owners, heroically put a tremendous amount of pressure on the victim disarming group inDes Moines and managed to take the vote to a5 vote margin in the House, and 6 in the Senate. If the NRA and IC hadbacked the legislation, by actively engagingtheir members to lobbyfor it,these few votes would have beenpretty easy to get.

SS
The House & Senate members knew what the vote was going to be before they voted. They all knew that the IGO bill was not going towin a majoritysosome could vote for it with no fear of it actually being passed. If the NRA and IC had pushed for the IGO bill nothing would have changed in Iowa this year. The Dems were running scared, but not that scared.

Straight_Shooter

imported post

SigSauer232 wrote:
Straight_Shooter wrote:

SS
The House & Senate members knew what the vote was going to be before they voted. They all knew that the IGO bill was not going towin a majoritysosome could vote for it with no fear of it actually being passed. If the NRA and IC had pushed for the IGO bill nothing would have changed in Iowa this year. The Dems were running scared, but not that scared.
Yeah . . . I see what you mean . . . why support the second amendment when the anti-gun Democrats don't?You pretty much summarize the NRA / Iowa Carry philosophy with that one . . . But thanks for the acutely perceptive "insider" political analysis . . . it is hard to believe that you don'tdo political comentary for a living!

BTW . . . I assume you will be campaigning for all the Democrats (like Clel Baudler)that voted for the NRA / Iowa Carry bill and voted against recognition of the second amendment in Iowa . . . After all, you Iowa Carry people keep touting your bill passing as "support for the second amendment." But tell me . . . . how exactly does "you have to get training and beg for permisssion from the government to carry arms" equate to "shall not be infringed?"

You IC guys need tokeep wading in your BS . . . the anti-gun sheriffs in this state are already saying they still have "plenty of discretion in denying permits" under your silly new law. You may not have accomplished what you think you have.

SS

Straight_Shooter

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
Interesting.

By the way GW . . . you can see from the above that we have a long way to go in Iowato catch up to Arizona . . . too manygirly menin this state.

SigSauer232

imported post

Straight_Shooter wrote:
But tell me . . . . how exactly does "you have to get training and beg for permisssion from the government to carry arms" equate to "shall not be infringed?"
Aren't you and IGO begging for permission from the state? Why are you waiting onthe House & Senate to pass a bill for you? Sounds like an infringement to me. You're evidently just all hat and no cattle.

Straight_Shooter

imported post

SigSauer232 wrote:
Straight_Shooter wrote:
But tell me . . . . how exactly does "you have to get training and beg for permisssion from the government to carry arms" equate to "shall not be infringed?"
Aren't you and IGO begging for permission from the state? Why are you waiting onthe House & Senate to pass a bill for you? Sounds like an infringement to me. You're evidently just all hat and no cattle.

At least I have the hat . . .

In point of fact, NO . . . neither IGO nor I are begging the legislature to pass a bill. The bill to recognized the second amendment in Iowawas introduced, and the anti-self defense Democrats, along with RINO's Baudler and Tjepkes, voted against it. The IGO membership all know very clearlyhow these people voted, and IGO, just like its parent organization, GOA, willadvocatethe removal ofthose traitors to their oathto uphold theConstitution in June and November. All the NRA / Iowa Carry has accomplished is to givethem cover in those elections, because they will say, as they already are, that they "supported the second amendment" with this ridiculous change in the CCW law. As you point out (though sarcastically and not with conviction), the lawcontinues toinfringe on Iowan's second amendment rights.

I know the concept of holding legislators accountable is foreign to Iowa Carry / NRA types, but if you reflect on it for a while, you might begin to understand that it is how the American system of government is supposed to work. I would point out that, compared to your suggestion of armed insurrection, this is not only legal, but is very effective.

While you are correct that the state is infringing on Iowan's second amendment rights,your suggestion ofarmed insurrection is not legal, and, depending on the circumstances, is also immoral. IGO, and defacto, I, have taken the most aggresive, lawful and moral path to restoring our second amendment rights in Iowa, with the very tools that were given to us by the founders. We, unlike Iowa Carry and the NRA, are not compromising away our rights with the anti-self defense Democrats. We are taking a principled stand to fight for them in a lawful way.

Of course, the first step in restoring our rights and freedoms is recognizing that we have lost them in the first place. Perhaps someday, you IC types will stop running around saying things like "the (anti-gun) Democrats supported the second amendment by passing our bill." . . . . nothing of the sort has happened at all.

SS

aadvark

Just do not forget though..., Open Carry in Motor Vehicles throughout Iowa, regardless of whether or not you are in a City or Unicorporated Area, requires a Iowa Permit.
[OMIT]

Last edited:

aadvark

JD:

I was unaware that the text of The 'Shall-Issue' Law becomes effective on January 1, 2011.

I will correct the omission above on my previous Thread.

aadvark

Last edited:

JD

JD:

I was unaware that the text of The 'Shall-Issue' Law becomes effective on January 1, 2011.

I will correct the omission above on my previous Thread.

aadvark

Cool.

It should also be mentioned that while the entire state won't be shall issue till 1/1/11 that some sheriffs that were not permit friendly have all ready bit the bullet and starting issuing permits or removing previous restrictions.

aadvark

That is good to hear, becuase; Iowans deserve to be able to Defend themselves and their Families whilst in Public without the need to fear any sort of Retaliation from Local Sheriff's Offices who may be gruding of our Second Amendment Protections.

Osceola County Sheriff Douglas Weber should be the '[Sheriff] Poster Child' of the new 'Shall-Issue' Policy throughout Iowa State.