• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Iowa OC W/O permit

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
After 1/1/2011 that will include any states license to carry, I believe. All states LTC will be accepted then correct?

That is correct:

724.11A
A valid permit or license issued by another state to any nonresident of this state shall be
considered to be a valid permit or license to carry weapons issued pursuant to this chapter,
except that such permit or license shall not be considered to be a substitute for an annual permit
to acquire pistols or revolvers issued pursuant to section 724.15.

SFC Stu

SigSauer232 wrote:

At least I have the hat . . .

In point of fact, NO . . . neither IGO nor I are begging the legislature to pass a bill. The bill to recognized the second amendment in Iowawas introduced, and the anti-self defense Democrats, along with RINO's Baudler and Tjepkes, voted against it. The IGO membership all know very clearlyhow these people voted, and IGO, just like its parent organization, GOA, willadvocatethe removal ofthose traitors to their oathto uphold theConstitution in June and November. All the NRA / Iowa Carry has accomplished is to givethem cover in those elections, because they will say, as they already are, that they "supported the second amendment" with this ridiculous change in the CCW law. As you point out (though sarcastically and not with conviction), the lawcontinues toinfringe on Iowan's second amendment rights.

I know the concept of holding legislators accountable is foreign to Iowa Carry / NRA types, but if you reflect on it for a while, you might begin to understand that it is how the American system of government is supposed to work. I would point out that, compared to your suggestion of armed insurrection, this is not only legal, but is very effective.

While you are correct that the state is infringing on Iowan's second amendment rights,your suggestion ofarmed insurrection is not legal, and, depending on the circumstances, is also immoral. IGO, and defacto, I, have taken the most aggresive, lawful and moral path to restoring our second amendment rights in Iowa, with the very tools that were given to us by the founders. We, unlike Iowa Carry and the NRA, are not compromising away our rights with the anti-self defense Democrats. We are taking a principled stand to fight for them in a lawful way.

Of course, the first step in restoring our rights and freedoms is recognizing that we have lost them in the first place. Perhaps someday, you IC types will stop running around saying things like "the (anti-gun) Democrats supported the second amendment by passing our bill." . . . . nothing of the sort has happened at all.

SS

Clell Baudler was fighting for Iowa gun rights long before StraightShooter came along. Politics is the art of the possible. Carry in Iowa without a permit was not possible. I lived in Iowa for 20 years and they are not ready for that yet!

Last edited:

IA_farmboy

The NRA is backing an amendment to the Iowa Constitution that should do away with any licensing for open or concealed carry. At least that is how I interpret it.

The NRA would like Iowans to add the following words to the state Constitution: “The right of individuals to acquire, keep, possess, transport, carry, and use arms to defend life and liberty and for all other legitimate purposes is fundamental and inviolable. Licensing, registration, special taxation, or any other measure that suppresses or discourages the free exercise of this right is forbidden.”

Read the whole thing here:
http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/...for-more-gun-rights-for-iowans-lobbyist-says/

The Iowa Firearms Coalition has a few more legislative actions going. Those include a castle doctrine bill and a constitutional carry bill.

Read their announcement here:
http://www.iowacarry.org/forums1/index.php?showtopic=20116

My assumption is that the IFC and NRA endorsed constitutional amendment and constitutional carry law are redundant but I believe this is intentional. A constitutional carry law is based on the federal constitution and, being legislation, it would be quicker to make unlicensed carry of weapons legal. The flaw with legislation is that the same (relatively) quick process can be undone by the same (relatively) quick process.

An amendment to the Iowa Constitution is a much longer process and creates state level protections to the right to self defense. The lengthy process makes the amendment less likely to happen but it also makes repeal just as difficult should it pass since one amendment to the constitution can only be removed by another amendment.

I believe the intent is to pass a constitutional carry law as soon as possible while starting the process for a constitutional protection to the right to self defense. That should bring immediate relief to the infringements on our rights while also giving us the means to make it very difficult for future legislation to recreate those infringements.

I have been following this for only a few years now but from what I can tell people have been complaining for decades that the NRA has not been active in Iowa. While I am appreciative of the NRA showing up now I have to wonder what took them so long.

amaixner

Yup, that's how it looks to me also. A constitutional change would require the courts to examine the constitutionality of ALL arms-related bans, restrictions, and laws in the state -- it's something that could help fix our messed up laws and bans.

aadvark

amaixner:

It would probably be best to start with Iowa Code 724.4, as it pertians to Carrying Weapons.

aadvark

Last edited: