• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are you part of the militia?

Do you consider yourself to be part of the 'militia'?

• Yes, I am an able bodied person between the ages of 18 and 45. (Militia act of 1792)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, although I am not between the ages of 18 and 45.

• Yes, I am a member of a locally organized militia group.

• Yes, I am a member of the National Guard or the Army Reserves. (Militia act of 1903)

• No, it is not my duty to be part of an organized militia.

• No, the state does not organize a militia. Any other 'militia' would be unauthorized.

• No, other or unspecified reason.

• Total voters

Hunterdave

imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
Wow! There've been some great comments in this thread. :) I wish more people would vote, but I think the trend would hold out. I agree that the most likely event one would need to prepare for would be a natural disaster, and I would like to think that the kind of people who are responsible gun owners would be the type of people to volunteer aid in the event of such a disaster. One of my regrets is not saying 'to hell' with my job and going to Louisiana to help in the aftermath of Katrina. I'm glad to say that I have matured quite a bit in the years since.

I agree that things like CPR and First Aid classes, Blood Drives, Self Defense training, and even Police fundraisers:shock: would be things we should do to help our community while getting the word out about Open Carry. The same things that would help to create an organized militia that society would accept, are the same types of things we should already be doing as community conscious individuals.

Just my $0.02
Would have been a colossal waste of time. Most people worth a damn were out the
next day cleaning up and doing for themselves and not waiting for someone to
"rescue" them. Most of what you saw on tv was bull%$#. I know I was there!

Volunteering is a great thing, just be sure you know what your volunteering for!

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Hunterdave wrote:

Volunteering is a great thing, just be sure you know what your volunteering for!
Just because someone is self-reliant doesn't mean they can't use a helping hand. Should we refuse to help anyone on the grounds that some people take advantage? I'm not that disillusioned yet. ;)

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
Hunterdave wrote:

Just because someone is self-reliant doesn't mean they can't use a helping hand. Should we refuse to help anyone on the grounds that some people take advantage? I'm not that disillusioned yet. ;)
I am a Salvation Army bell ringer:lol:

eye95

imported post

mcdonalk wrote:
Hunterdave wrote:

Exactly. Some people will take that hand up and work harder to build a better life. Others will take it as a handout and think that they now need to work less in the expectation of future handouts.

There really is no way to know who is who before you help them. So, when you get a chance, you just help.

Hunterdave

imported post

I was specifically referring to Katrina and N.O. Mcdonalk said he wished he would
have quit his job and gone to help in N.O. after Katrina.I was there trying to
"help". Twenty of us took our boats to help "rescue" people , only one hour
into this, we had been shot at 7 times, bottles thrown at us dozens of times and
cursed out to many times to count. " You mf'in white people why yall aint come
get us down from here".After an hour and a half of this we finally said to hell with
this and all 20 of us loaded up our boats and left. Hardly worth quitting your job for.

My wife has several uncles and extended family in N.O. Some left for the storm
and some prepared and stayed. As soon as the storm was over all the neighbors
helped each other saw limbs out of the streets and off their property and the
houses that were flooded, when the water went down, they all pitched in and
gutted them. In a week everything in the neighborhood was cleaned up
and ready to start rebuilding. They didn't stand around waiting for somebody
to bring them food and water or somebody to come clean up their stuff.
Hell, they didn't even wait for road crews to clean the streets, they did it
theirselves !

What you saw on tv about this was bunk! Even Fox News got in on the hype.

I'm all for helping people , just be sure you help the one that might help
you or someone else if the roles were reversed,not the ones that would
knock you in the head and take your wallet if you were incapacitated.

And no, sometimes you can't know who to help , but when they're shooting
at you, that's a big clue that they're not on your team!!

sraacke

imported post

I served a couple of years as a SSgt/E6 in the Louisiana State Guard back around 1996 or 1997 if I remember correctly. Mainly reported to the State Emergency Operations Center once a month and trained in Emergency Management tracking software and tested the RACES radios. It was pretty boring. I understand that during the responce for Katrinia members of the Texas State Guard and the Alabama State Defence Force were deployed here to assist. Based on the AARs I heard about they did a really good job.

Several states have State Defence Forces aka State Guards or State Military Reserves. More on SDFs can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Defense_Forces

steveman01

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
Militia's prior to the Militia act of 1792 ..were just normal everyday people. Farmers, blacksmiths, etc..... The Government now considers Militia's to be home grown terrorist & extremists....heck the ATF now teaches it's agents that the Founding Fathers were TERRORISTS for gods sake !!!! what the hell is that ??!!

The founding fathers are National hero's not terrorist's.

This Police state Government we now have in America is making our founding fathers spin in their graves, the founding framers have to be completely dumbfounded & awe stuck that we are not revolting against it now.

+1

The founders new this would happen, it would not suprise them. They just prayed we would be able to stop it. Unfortunaltley we tried but lost (the civil war). As Ben Franklin said "were a republic as long as you can keep it". Frankly I'm one of those radical's ya'll speak of, and beleive we should give it a second go. I think the founders would have been with me on this. The truth is the majority beleived the founders to be terrorist, and still do.

I thought about trying the SDF thing but didn't seem appealing with no weapons or combat training. Justhow do they plan on defending? CPR and baking girl scout cookies is not my cup of tea.:DMaybe it's not that bad.

Anyone willing to give there experience(what they do/train)with the SDF?

But the Mods and most on this site don't like this kind of talk so this will probly be my last post. Somehow they figure OC and Freedom don't go hand in hand. This site looks more and more like the NRA(the enemy)only without the funds.

IDK maybe i'll just watch fromnow on and chime in when no one's looking.;)