• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mlive.com - Another successful Michigan Open carry Inc. picnic at Vandercook Lake County Park

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2010/04/more_than_20_gun-rights_suppor.html

SNIP

More than 20 gun-rights supporters attend 'open-carry' gathering in Vandercook Lake
By Jake Bolitho
April 26, 2010
Hamburgers, hot dogs and baked beans weren’t the only items on hand at a Sunday afternoon picnic in Vandercook Lake.

The rainy weather didn’t prevent more than 20 gun-rights supporters from gathering in Vandercook Lake County Park for an “open-carry” gathering.

The picnic was sponsored by the nonprofit organization Michigan Open Carry. Organizers said they aimed to educate people of the legality of openly carrying a handgun in Michigan. A similar event was last summer at Sparks Foundation County Park.

“I believe any gun control law is unconstitutional,” said Jackson resident and Michigan Open Carry member Gordon Cannon, who carried a 9 mm handgun.

“I carry it to protect my children ... We’re not just a bunch of hicks and rednecks.”

In Michigan, any person over age 18 without a criminal record may openly carry a registered firearm while holstered in most public places.

. . .

Michigan is one of 44 states that allow open carrying of a handgun, while the practice has been long banned in the other six states.

EM87

imported post

Good article. I posted some correct information in the comments section to counteract some of the incorrect information being given there.

lil_freak_66

imported post

Mike wrote:
http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2010/04/more_than_20_gun-rights_suppor.html

SNIP

More than 20 gun-rights supporters attend 'open-carry' gathering in Vandercook Lake
By Jake Bolitho
April 26, 2010
Hamburgers, hot dogs and baked beans weren’t the only items on hand at a Sunday afternoon picnic in Vandercook Lake.

The rainy weather didn’t prevent more than 20 gun-rights supporters from gathering in Vandercook Lake County Park for an “open-carry” gathering.

The picnic was sponsored by the nonprofit organization Michigan Open Carry. Organizers said they aimed to educate people of the legality of openly carrying a handgun in Michigan. A similar event was last summer at Sparks Foundation County Park.

“I believe any gun control law is unconstitutional,” said Jackson resident and Michigan Open Carry member Gordon Cannon, who carried a 9 mm handgun.

“I carry it to protect my children ... We’re not just a bunch of hicks and rednecks.”

In Michigan, any person over age 18 without a criminal record may openly carry a registered firearm while holstered in most public places.

. . .

Michigan is one of 44 states that allow open carrying of a handgun, while the practice has been long banned in the other six states.

Some(including me) could take offense to that,some of us take pride in being redneck!
:D