• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

They called it a 'ruckus' but it was symptom of a plague

Dave Workman

imported post

They call it a 'ruckus' but it is a symptom of a plague

Late Saturday night in Seattle shots were fired and a 15-year-old boy was hit in the leg.

The incident led to a shutdown of Martin Luther King Way, police rounded up six people, including some for outstanding warrants, and at least one gun was confiscated...

... I would estimate 75 percent of those in attendance were armed, and many of them openly. These people are often portrayed as right wing kooks, lunatic rednecks and worse, yet with all of those guns, nobody suffered so much as a scratch. What a contrast between them and the knuckleheads at that south Seattle party Saturday night.

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m4d26-They-call-it-a-ruckus-but-it-is-a-symptom-of-a-plague

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/2dusbjp

Dave Workman

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Good article Dave. Sad to see violence erupting on a street named after someone so profound and who stood for "PEACE and UNITY".

Well, that's a good point.

At least there was no problem at Saturday's armed rally!

;)

Thanks for your generous remarks abut my screed.

amzbrady

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
Good article Dave. Sad to see violence erupting on a street named after someone so profound and who stood for "PEACE and UNITY".

Well, that's a good point.

At least there was no problem at Saturday's armed rally!

;)

Thanks for your generous remarks abut my screed.
Also sad to say, I think alot has to do with upbringing, ethics, and morals...

DEROS72

imported post

Did anyone notice any LE around our rally? There weren't any I could see because they know they never have a problem with us.

Dave Workman

imported post

Couple of state troopers cruising arund out on the main street. No Olympia PD that I could see.

Norman

imported post

I saw 2 state troopers, waved to one and got a polite smile and a wave back. I don't think they were even checking on us, as opposed to doing their normal routine. I had heard through the LE grapevine that they weren't particularly worried and were paying closer attention to artswalk and procession of the species than they were us.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Aryk45XD wrote:
I saw a couple state troopers guarding us there. I believe I read that the capitol is under state jurisdiction.

Saw the same but under the impression it is there regular job being the state capitol and not because of us.

I think law enforcement knows our type of crowd usually polices ourselves pretty well.

amzbrady

imported post

I wouldnt think that they would need to watch a group of law abiding citizens that openly carry for self defense, unlike gang members who hide their illegal weapons to commit crimes. Unlike the Brady Complainer's who think it's more normal to hide your weapons and would prefer not to see them. I personally cant see where there is any more or any less danger if the gun is visibal or not. I would think it is more in who has controlofthe gun.

gsx1138

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Did anyone notice any LE around our rally? There weren't any I could see because they know they never have a problem with us.
I saw the pictures. There was a couple of CIA operatives posing as OC'ers. They wanted to make sure America was safe. :shock:

k.rollin

imported post

I'll agree on the point that the media portrayal of the incident is lacking, and that there was a lot of bad parenting and poor decisions made by the parents of the people involved in the so-called ruckus as well as those present, but I see no problem with an 18 year old having a handgun. I was 18 when I got my first handgun; I traded my 1983 Yamaha DT100K Enduro for a Ruger Redhawk in .41 Magnum and a 12 ga. Winchester 1200. Since then I've bought a Ruger Mk. II and a Smith & Wesson M&P 40; I turn 21 on July 1st.

Dave Workman

imported post

k.rollin wrote:
I'll agree on the point that the media portrayal of the incident is lacking, and that there was a lot of bad parenting and poor decisions made by the parents of the people involved in the so-called ruckus as well as those present, but I see no problem with an 18 year old having a handgun. I was 18 when I got my first handgun; I traded my 1983  Yamaha DT100K Enduro for a Ruger Redhawk in .41 Magnum and a 12 ga. Winchester 1200. Since then I've bought a Ruger Mk. II and a Smith & Wesson M&P 40; I turn 21 on July 1st.

That's not the point.
Whether you see no problem is irrelevant. The statute would need to be changed because currently, the law simply doesn't allow teens to be carrying guns to parties on Saturday night.

So far, however, it hasn't been established who pulled the trigger at this event. We don't really know if it was a teenager or some young adult. That probably doesn't matter to the 15-year-old kid who got shot.

k.rollin

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
k.rollin wrote:
I'll agree on the point that the media portrayal of the incident is lacking, and that there was a lot of bad parenting and poor decisions made by the parents of the people involved in the so-called ruckus as well as those present, but I see no problem with an 18 year old having a handgun. I was 18 when I got my first handgun; I traded my 1983 Yamaha DT100K Enduro for a Ruger Redhawk in .41 Magnum and a 12 ga. Winchester 1200. Since then I've bought a Ruger Mk. II and a Smith & Wesson M&P 40; I turn 21 on July 1st.

That's not the point.
Whether you see no problem is irrelevant. The statute would need to be changed because currently, the law simply doesn't allow teens to be carrying guns to parties on Saturday night.

So far, however, it hasn't been established who pulled the trigger at this event. We don't really know if it was a teenager or some young adult. That probably doesn't matter to the 15-year-old kid who got shot.
I am aware of the fact that the law would have to be changed. I just took issue with the use of the quotation, as I interpreted it as young adults shouldn't be able to have handguns, although the main point of it was the failed parenting. I focused on one specific part of the article rather than the piece in it's entirety.