• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Enjoying Broomfield, but OC is a mix

Pace

imported post

Getting a few weird stares in Broomfield and around the area, but in general pretty good. Never had many problems in AZ and honestly, even in Las Vegas, less.

Is it the area?

luv_jeeps

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Probably the area. I live in Thornton, close to both Broomfield and Westminster, and I could see you getting some weird looks from some of the folks that live in the area. I would say it's mostly about demographics, since it's mostly middle or upper middle class folks that live there.

cscitney87

imported post

Don't expect anyone here to drop to their knees with their mouth wide open. You'll even see a cop or two while OC in Broomfield. Constantly cruising through the large strip mall parking lots; many of which are connected by inner roads. It's not rare to be walking in and out of a Papa Johns only to see the cop circle your very parking lot the entire time you are inside.

lopoetve

imported post

yeah, I carry around there all the time - people look at you strange, but there's nothing they'll do about it.

mahkagari

imported post

But we want people to do things about it. Things like open their minds and see it as a normal thing. Things like OC themselves. Things like, if they're of a criminal bend, to realize that maybe their victims aren't as helpless as they might suspect.

mahkagari

imported post

But we want people to do things about it. Things like open their minds and see it as a normal thing. Things like OC themselves. Things like, if they're of a criminal bend, to realize that maybe their victims aren't as helpless as they might suspect.

mahkagari

imported post

Pace

imported post

Well, I am hoping to meet when I get a second with the Broomfield Police about the whole OC issue.

cscitney87

imported post

Pace wrote:
Well, I am hoping to meet when I get a second with the Broomfield Police about the whole OC issue.
This again? Honestly how many times does somebody have to tell you? Ugh!

Go ahead and have your chat with Broomfield PD; it's of no concern to us. Broomfield PD will tell you not to Open Carry... You will cite State Laws... Broomfield PD will refute; and you will come back here and post another "I can't OC in Broomfield" thread.

Dude you need to really get a grip. Either you are Open Carrying or you are not. Don't pussyfoot around the issue. Broomfield; just like every other city in Colorado; is clearly legally and officially Open Carry.

Just keep your eyes peeled for properly posted signs that prohibit open carry legally. No; the city of Broomfield does not have a posted sign at every public entrance to the city.

cscitney87

imported post

Posted: Sun Apr 18th, 2010 01:04 am
Quote Reply
Pace wrote: "Now I'm getting ticked off -- here I am in Broomfield, and you telling me that some people think we can't OC?

What is the official word?
"
The only city that has imposed a legal ordinance is Denver as per the 2004 Meyers Decision. This isn't to say that you won't have people call you in and that you won't have LEO contact, but there is nothing that can be done about you carrying anywhere you want (except already prohibited areas like government buildings and schools). Anywhere that bans carry must post signs at all entrances open to the public and/or employ full time security with metal detectors that all people have to pass through to enter the facility.

Unless, of course, I've completely misinterpreted everything I've read and heard. But I'm pretty sure state preemption includes all cities and counties outside Denver...

Posted: Mon Apr 19th, 2010 12:56 pm
Edit Quote Reply
Pace wrote: "9-72-020 Possession and use of weapons.
(A) It is unlawful for any person to possess an illegal weapon.
(B) Except in a person's dwelling, place of business, or on property under such person's ownership or control, it is unlawful for any person to possess the following:
(1) A firearm or gas or mechanically operated gun;

(E) Defenses.
(1) It is an affirmative defense to a violation of subsections (A) and (B) that the defendant was carrying the weapon pursuant to a concealed weapons permit valid under state statutes.
"Colorado Local Ordinance Summary Important Note: On March 18, 2003, Article 11.7 in Title 29 of the Colorado Revised Statutes took effect. Section 29-11.7-103 voids any previously enacted local ordinance that prohibits the “sale, purchase, or possession of a firearm that a person may lawfully sell, purchase, or possess under state or federal law.” Colorado also adopted legislation regarding the carrying of firearms in private vehicles (Section 18-12-105.6(2), effective March 18, 2003), and concealed weapons (Section 18-12-201(1)(e), effective May 19, 2003). The local ordinances listed here were adopted prior to the effective dates of these new state laws.

Broomfield (§ 9-72-020) indirectly regulates guns on public property by making it unlawful to possess firearms anywhere except “in a person’s dwelling, place of business, or on property under such person’s ownership or control...."
There are a number of affirmative defenses, including where "the defendant was carrying the weapon pursuant to a concealed weapons permit" or where "the weapon was unloaded...and properly cased."

http://www.lcav.org/states/colocalord.asp

Last edited on Mon Apr 19th, 2010 12:57 pm by cscitney87
cscitney87

Posted: Sat Apr 3rd, 2010 08:51 am
Quote Reply
Finally, moved! Took a few days, and thanks goodness not much broken furniture!

In Broomfield, already spoke to the good folks at the Sheriff/Police Department and hopefully they won't bother me when I OC.

Posted: Wed Sep 30th, 2009 03:48 pm
Edit Quote Reply
I traveled to Broomfield, from Lakewood, for the first time today. I called ahead to the Broomfield non-emergency police department number, to gain a better understanding of their ordinances. Pertaining to Broomfield, I requested information regarding any ordinance, including disorderly conduct, that may prohibit the open carry of fire arms. I was told that an officer of the law would contact me shortly with an answer.

I got a callback on 303 4386400 from an officer (can't recall the name) and I was asked about my inquiry. I told the officer that I was made aware, by my lawyer, that the state of Colorado allows the open carry of fire arms anywhere except where posted by signage, except in Denver county where it's banned all together (paraphrasing my response). I asked him if there were currently any local bans on the open carry of fire arms and how a disorderly conduct charge could be used to restrict open carry. He said he would look into it and call me back.

Ten minutes later
303 4645858, sounded like the same officer, no introduction. I was told that currently, applying to public land (not private), Broomfield has an ordinance that says that anyone having a fire arm on their person is considered to be concealing the fire arm, therefor is required to have a permit to open carry Or conceal carry any fire arm in Broomfield. I was told that the only exceptions to this were in direct transport to and from a gun smith or shooting range.

I asked if Colorado State laws preempts this local ordinance and he reiterated his first response by telling me that I cannot just carry my fire arm around in public.

Pace

imported post

cscitney87 do you have some sort of condition which makes you write three posts to my one post? I meet with local departments mainly to educate them about the issue, among other things, and address legal issues about OC and other firearms issues.

Pace

imported post

To some degree yes. Despite non-attorneys saying that you can do it, and that it's probably the law, that doesn't help if you are arrested and have to hire an attorney.

GlockFanatic943

imported post

So your not trying to "educate" the police, you simply want to go in there and hear it from an officers mouth that " yes mr._____ you have the right to openly carry a firearm.. I dont blame you, its hard just walking around town UOC when everyone (average joe) says you can except the police. especially when jail is held over your head for making one wrong move..