• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Enjoying Broomfield, but OC is a mix

Pace

imported post

No, usually when you speak to small departments and their local city attorney, and point out the issues, they are more likely to send out notices.

ZackL

imported post

Pace wrote:
No, usually when you speak to small departments and their local city attorney, and point out the issues, they are more likely to send out notices.
I think your best bet would be to simply print of the statutes that are applicable to carry around with you and have a lawyer that you can trust in your cell phone. In all honesty, I would just open carry where legal and not worry about it.

groovedrummer

imported post

Pace wrote:
To some degree yes. Despite non-attorneys saying that you can do it, and that it's probably the law, that doesn't help if you are arrested and have to hire an attorney.
I have been stopped, talk to a bit, and let go in Bloomfield.

It took about 5-10 minutes.

Im not in jail.

I never called a lawyer.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was detained for OC by the Castle Rock Police more than a year ago. The next day I started on a crusade to get my concerns addressed and to try to get them to admit that they were wrong. I met with the immediate superior of the officers who detained me (a Sergeant) , and he treated me even worse. I then filed formal complaints and my case was assigned to a Lieutenant.

Over the next few days I emailed this Lieutenant everything regarding my case, the law, court decisions, evaluations from lawyers, everything. They said they would get back to me in 30 days. More than 60 days later, and after multiple calls from my State Senator's office, they finally responded. Guess what they said? "We reviewed the matter very carefully and we believe that the officers in question acted in accordance with the law and our department policies."

News Flash - Most police departments will NEVER admit that they are wrong, nor will they ever tell you that you can legally do something that they don't like.

As much as I sympathize with you and your wanting to "know" that what you are engaging in is perfectly legal, you're probably wasting your time. They don't want you to OC, hence they won't tell you it's legal. They best thing you can do is arm yourself (pardon the pun) with the knowledge of the law and an impartial observer (audio/video recorder) when you go out OCing.

zach

imported post

entartet17 wrote:
Dynamite Rabbit wrote:
You have to remember that most of the people here are out-of-state transplants, MANY from California. Colorado's changed...
+1

That's a great point
Well, I moved here from Kalifornia 3 years ago(after living there 36years), so don't judge all of us by the few kooks that make the news. I will say my disclaimer is that I didn't live in LA or SF.

Now, Open Carry On.....(which is what I was doing in Castle Rock today, Kohls and StarBucks). Found out one of the fellow dads on my daughters soccer team is a Police Chief, he's the only 1 that said something to me about my carry today, and all he wanted to know what what I was carrying. :)

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

zach wrote:
Found out one of the fellow dads on my daughters soccer team is a Police Chief, he's the only 1 that said something to me about my carry today, and all he wanted to know what what I was carrying. :)
Really? Which agency if you don't mind me asking?

Pace

imported post

Yeah? Really? Should I link to the last post by the owners OpenCarry.org giving me a personal reference?

Because I speak to the police about issues, I am somehow now a traitor? How about at the next meeting, I come and we can have a personal conversation.

cscitney87 wrote:
Thanks for all your input everyone. I'm glad Pace's true colors shine through.

Pace

imported post

Good idea.

ZackL wrote:
Pace wrote:
I think your best bet would be to simply print of the statutes that are applicable to carry around with you and have a lawyer that you can trust in your cell phone. In all honesty, I would just open carry where legal and not worry about it.

cscitney87

imported post

Pace wrote:
Yeah? Really? Should I link to the last post by the owners OpenCarry.org giving me a personal reference?

Because I speak to the police about issues, I am somehow now a traitor? How about at the next meeting, I come and we can have a personal conversation.

cscitney87 wrote:
Thanks for all your input everyone. I'm glad Pace's true colors shine through.
Who ever said that? Certainly I was not inferring so. "Pace's true colors shine through" is obviously a simple saying for "now we know what his intentions are"

and your intentions were to educate the Broomfield PD.

Nothing menacing about my statement. I cannot help you, though, if you choose to see things in such light.

And I don't come to open carry meetings; sorry. But hey if you see me out and about don't be afraid to say hello. That always goes for anybody.

cscitney87

imported post

Pace, how old are you?

Edit: Ugh.. don't take that as a menacing question. I'm not provoking you. Just asking a question.. very popular one at that.

Kingfish

imported post

I think it was a poor choice of words but I caught the meaning (that Pace is actually doing us all a service.)

Can't we all just get along?

cscitney87

imported post

kingfish wrote:
I think it was a poor choice of words but I caught the meaning (that Pace is actually doing us all a service.)

Can't we all just get along?
lmao exactly. I was saying it as a good thing. Thanks for the backup

Yes we certainly can. That's why I go out of my way to take pictures, crop them, and post them here. I like people to know who I am and that I'm out there doing the do for Open Carry. I would love to finally meet someone else openly carrying. I've never seen anybody else, ever; open carrying. What a day that will be! :lol:

Pace

imported post

Hey sorry about that, I've had people here accuse me of being a french communist :)

best,