• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Birmingham City Council Meeting Tuesdays at 9:30am

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

I will be attempting to attend a Birmingham City Council Meeting tomorrow morning at 9:30am at City Hall openly armed, as is our right. If I am told I cannot attend armed, I will put it in the car just to get into the meeting to raise this very issue to the City Council.

I'm sick of people putting up whatever little illegal sign they want. City Hall and all public buildings are public places.

IfI still had my voice recorder, I could thenarchive what I'm sure will be continued ignorance on the part of our elected officials.

Wish me luck and anyone else from the area is welcome to attend. They might just start getting tired of seeing me every week from now on until this is fixed.

REB

imported post

Please let us know how it goes and by all means get some type of recording device or better yet get someone else to record what happens.

Good Luck!

FedFirefighter

imported post

I think that is a great idea, I,m glad to see people actively trying to lawfully bring the laws front and center. I agree though, you might have better luck if you are followed by someone filming. I've met you and know you will represent us all with a great deal of knowledge and professionallism. Good Luck!

cowboy67

imported post

If they make you take your pistol to the car, make sure you keep your holster on at your side just to make a statement.

2ndly, Just a thought, but doesn't the city record their meetings for their minutes that would be available through a FOIA request??

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Open to the public - there's a part at the end where the public can speak. McDonalk, we're staging up across from city hall in the parking lot of the Birmingham Library on 21St. N. at 9:15am if you wanna go. Should be me, David, and Tim.

Birmingham Library - Central

2100 Park Place

Birmingham, AL 35203

Parking in the back. Quick directions, from southside, get on 21st going north. Which is not hard cuz it's a one way. After you hit northside, start looking for the library on your right, turn right immediately before it, and park in the lot on your left behind the library.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Cool, I'll try to pick up a cheap holster at Bass Pro on the way. Or do you think I should wear my knife sheath? Would it have the same effect?

Nah, I'll get a holster. Need one for the UAB SCC empty-holster protest on the... 12th I think?

HungSquirrel

imported post

This won't end well, but I applaud your fortitude. I wish I were in a better position to assist in such an event.

I wonder if they'll try to get you under the demonstration law? That would be interesting.

Kirbinator

imported post

I'd offer to bike over and video if someone has a camera but knowing my f***ed up luck, I'd get arrested for disorderly conduct for refusing to stop taping. I don't have bail money at the moment.

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Me and Tim met up around 9:30am in the staging area, and proceeded over to City Hall OC'ing.

We passed a Civil Rights sign that read "One day, we'll be able to go into doors we were previously denied."Talk about ironicrighteous fury!

Well, we took a deep breath, went in the door with a big red sign that said "NO guns, knives, or other weapons permitted." And....

.......nothing.

I introduced myself and said we'd like to attend the city council meeting armed. The security lady said "Well, you need to speak to them." The cops behind her.

They simply said, without even getting up, that "yeah, no weapons are permitted in City Hall." That was it. We said we'd be right back, and put the weapons in the truck.

Left the empty holsters on, and returned to attend the meeting. We were too late to get on the docket to speak, but next week we'll get there earlier. The mayor and the entire city council was there doing all their "serious business." There were about 100 people and media in the audience. We had some strange looks from the people inside at our holsters, but the two police at the entrance doors were nice.

We watched the proceedings for awhile, to familiarize ourselves with the place and it's goings on, and then left.

Pretty much a non-issue on their side, but we did have our Civil Rights violated on the way in by being disarmed. Sad, but the whole event was an overall success, in that none of our concerns about being arrested or tazed were founded.

Anyone else is welcome to empty holster carry with me and Tim, next Tuesday at 9am sharp, that is when I'll be giving the speech. The more supporters there, the better.

That full moon last night pumped me up.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Just don't go armed, camera, and burkas, or they might get suspicious.
I'm off tuesday and just watched Kumar escape from gitmo, so I can evade
them in B'ham.
They got Larry for wearing the sack, had nothing to do with the bribes.

What time is the public comment section? They can't have any more money to
spend after what they borrowed last week.
I'm off because I need to be in huntsville, but they will do a prisoner transfer I hope.:lol:

But there is no way they can argue public demonstration, when all you are
doing is redressing the government with your grievances as the law allows.
It's not our fault they grieve so many at once:banghead: