Thread: nonresident OC

Post imported post

I'm from Canada and I've been issued a temp permit by the ATF to import firearms into the US.

Can I oc in those states that allow oc? I'm refering to Alaska, Vermont, Arizona & New Mexico.

Post imported post

You'd probably have better luck asking this in the appropriate state forums. I know you can OC in Virginia though.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

AFAIK you must be a US Citizen to possess a firearm in most states... but as stated you should probably check local laws to be sure.

Post imported post

actually NO YOU DO NOT have to be a citizen. Just a legal resident. UNLESS you have a BATF Form 6NIA

Post imported post

vegasche1023 wrote:
    actually NO YOU DO NOT have to be a citizen. Just a legal resident. UNLESS you have a BATF Form 6NIA
    I know you have a citation to go with that, because not having one could be considered giving legal advice.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Banned

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    vegasche1023 wrote:
    I know you have a citation to go with that, because not having one could be considered giving legal advice.
    Actually, one cannot cite negative law. It would have to be codified that one had to be a citizen to own a gun or to get a license. I have read extensively in the AL code and nothing I have read says that you have to be a citizen to own a gun or to get a license.

I can't speak for any other State.

It would be the person contending that citizenship is necessary to keep or bear who would have the onus of citing the law.

Post imported post

My mom is a legal resident and has purchased multiple handguns from FFLs. I have a friend who is an ATF agent. He said that it depends on the state. I can tell you(confirmed by Maricopa County sheriff's deputy) that you would be able to OC in AZ. I am not a lawyer, so this is not legal advice. Just what I could come up with from internet, friends and PD.

Post imported post

It would likely depend upon which state.
    In Ga, for example, you can carry in your car
    if you are not ineligible (of age, not here illegally, etc)

You cannot carry a handgun on your person unless you have a license from a state that Ga has a reciprocal agreement with, and I don't know that Canada even issues a handgun license.

Unfortunately, every state is different. You'll need to pack 2 lawyers for every gun.