• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Was told open carry isn't legal in PA

NicF

imported post

I am from MI working in Northumberland, PA and was just told by a Northumberland twp. officer that open carry is not legal in the state of PA. He said that LEO are the only people allowed to open carry in the state? I was just asking him what the cpl laws are in the state and where i cannot carry concealed and oc came up and that is what I was told? How wrong is this guy?

NicF

imported post

thank you, i thought that is what i read everywhere else on this site but when LEO tells you something like that i always figure its worth putting the question out there

jahwarrior

imported post

open carry to the police station, and ask to speak to the officer who told you that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jahwarrior72 wrote:
open carry to the police station, and ask to speak to the officer who told you that.
That response I like. :lol:

Yata hey

Steve in PA

imported post

NicF wrote:
I am from MI working in Northumberland, PA and was just told by a Northumberland twp. officer that open carry is not legal in the state of PA. He said that LEO are the only people allowed to open carry in the state? I was just asking him what the cpl laws are in the state and where i cannot carry concealed and oc came up and that is what I was told? How wrong is this guy?
He has no clue as to what he is talking about. Next time you run into him, ask him if he took last year's MPOETC updates. The updates where they explain to LEO's like him........that open carry is 100% legal in PA.

david.ross

imported post

Are you sure the person who you contacted wasn't in the sheriff's department? I spoke with the supervisor on duty and he was completely understandable in regards to open carry.

NicF

imported post

no..i don't believe it was the sherrifs department. They just hand an office in the Northumberland twp offices. I don't remember his name but i think i will go back and get it!!!

david.ross

imported post

There is Northumberland Borough and Northumberland County, no TWP far as I'm aware.

I find it hard to believe someone at the PD told you opencarry was unlawful. The supervisor was asking around seeing if someone was talking to open carry with an individual. The detective I spoke with on the second phone call with the PD stated there was a small discussion, nobody has heard any person asking about open carry. Of course the individual you spoke with could've been on another shift.

NicF

imported post

ok...the office that i was at is located at the corner of ridge rd. and geise rd. i don't believe that is northumberland burough but the address is northumberland for the post office. The office also housed the other services ( road commision, building inspector, etc.) . my discussion with the officer was about conceal carry but i mentioned open carry and that is when he told me that the only person that could open carry in PA was a LEO. I mentions that open carry is legal in MI and that is as far as our discussion on open carry went. I asked no more questions about it because he said it wasn't legal!! shorter kinda skinny white guy that was driving an unmarked black car it was monday at about noon i believe.

OK...now i was just corrected by my uncle....it is point township!!!!! sorry for the confusion!!!!

david.ross

imported post

NicF,

Thank you for being prompt, I'll give them a call. The sheriff's office will also stop telling people open carry is unlawful, but I'll have to call the sheriff's tomorrow.

People giving misinformation only hurts everyone from both sides, yet some people in the group(open carry group) are quick to blame law enforcement in the entirety.

NicF

imported post

sorry for the confusion...i was not trying to blame the wrong department, was just confused on which department that it was. and i do not blame all officers or departments for the wrong doing of one individual. And i am not out to get that man in trouble in any way. he was very nice and polite in our conversation. unfortunately he is apparently misinformed. that is the only issue that i was looking to get solved. our conversation on conceal carry was very informative and helpful for my stay here in PA. thank you for all of your help. i appreciate what you are doing.

david.ross

imported post

NicF,

I spoke with an individual at the Point Twp PD who will look in to the encounter. The officer who called back knows open carry is lawful and is unsure to whom you were talking, but he will look at the roster for Monday.