• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Instructor says "go for it"

AGust82

imported post

I took an NRA safety course with my wife this weekend and to my surprise, the instructor strolled in open carrying. I discussed it with him a little and discovered that he's on our side. And he wasn't even aware of this site or the CCDL. Finally, an informed person telling newbie gun people about their actual rights instead of their own opinions on the issue. Aside from that, he runs a very good course and I highly recommend him. He's out of Naugatuck, if anyone's interested I'll give you his number.

stacks04

imported post

i hope you gave him the websites on paper so he could visit them. if not an email with them would be good. i know i forget something like a website as soon as i hear it, but if i write it down i always go to it to check it out.

PFI

imported post

If you are talking about the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting course. The Class that is required to apply for your Connecticut Carry permit.

Everyone should know that there is no live AMMO allowed in the room where the Basic Pistol shooting class is held.

If indeed a Instructor came to a class room with a loaded Firearm he clearly needs to go to a refresher Class there is no live AMMO allowed in the Training room. Ammo is only allowed when and were you are doing the shooting part of the Program. This also applies to Live rounds of Ammo in your pocket.

On Bottom of each page in the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course the Words in very large Letter's read

No Live Ammunition in the Classroom !

Carrying a loaded Firearm into the classroom is clearly not allowed
Per NRA Lesson Plan 1-5

AGust82

imported post

Good catch PFI. The gun was empty. He unholstered and used it as a teaching aid for the class, but it was his carry gun before and after the class, the ammo and magazines being left in his vehicle.

stacks04

imported post

PFI wrote:
If you are talking about the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting course. The Class that is required to apply for your Connecticut Carry permit.

Everyone should know that there is no live AMMO allowed in the room where the Basic Pistol shooting class is held.

If indeed a Instructor came to a class room with a loaded Firearm he clearly needs to go to a refresher Class there is no live AMMO allowed in the Training room. Ammo is only allowed when and were you are doing the shooting part of the Program. This also applies to Live rounds of Ammo in your pocket.

On Bottom of each page in the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course the Words in very large Letter's read

No Live Ammunition in the Classroom !

Carrying a loaded Firearm into the classroom is clearly not allowed
Per NRA Lesson Plan 1-5
pfi, not trying to argue your point, i am just concerned that the nra doesnt allow the instructor to be armed and in defense of his life or those of his students during a training class? it seems kinda odd. i can understand not having live ammo for the training guns, but not to be left defenseless.

PFI

imported post

Think of it this way

The NRA has there set of Rules for holding the BASIC Pistol Class (NO live ammo in the classroom)

You have your Rights as a Permit holder, In this case an Instructor (if you are one)
but you must follow the NRA Rules set forth for holding a Basic Pistol Class.

If you feel your life and the life of any Student is in danger do not hold the class or
hold the class behind a locked door so that you and your students feel safe.

The state has locations that you cannot use your Right to protect your self with your firearm, hell you cannot even carry it in some locations.

The NRA has the Students and the Instructor's SAFETY at the top of the list

The NRA does not allow any one that is just starting out to handle a firearm and live Ammo at the same time at the beginning of the Basic pistol class

Think of how bad this would be for the NRA and the Instructor and mostly the person that may be shot. The Media would have a field day. I for one do not ever want to see that day.

Remember the Course is objective based. Students must accomplish the learning objectives before proceeding to the more complex tasks, with out risk to them self or others.

This Program has worked for many years, I hope all Instructors follow the basic rules when it come's to this Matter.

The NRA does not require Instructors to attend any new safety course's. I for one believe that updated training is a good thing for both the Instructor and the Students.

Teaching is a fleeting resource, as with many other activities one must use a skill or risk loose it.

Sorry for getting off track on the Question but Safety when it is applied to firearms is step # ONE

SO no live ammo in the Classroom, only at the range part of the Course.