• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Want to carry in a school zone with out fear of arrest

Summit_Ace

imported post

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I would think that if such legislation was passed it would be a good thing for OC. The reason being in my opinion it would be a sure fire case to argue under the equal protection clause.

estcrh

imported post

Summit_Ace wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong here, but I would think that if such legislation was passed it would be a good thing for OC. The reason being in my opinion it would be a sure fire case to argue under the equal protection clause.
I agree, just getting anti gun people and politicians to see that the average citizen can walk past a school with a gun and not suddenly start shooting everything in site is a good start. The opposite of this is.....whats to keep them from making the school zones even larger??? 2000ft..whole neighborhoods...or even cities...this is a start back to sanity and I will take anything I can get at the moment.... without WHINING that its not enough!

Summit_Ace

imported post

What really erks me is when people post a topic like this and you have someone get all bent cause it is not directly about open carry. It still effects us.

estcrh

imported post

barf wrote:
estcrh wrote:
barf wrote:
This thread regarding concealed carry legislation is inappropriate for an open carry site. 

Your advice to users here to retain a concealed carry permit for open carry is inappropriate. 

thread-pic%20%28161%29.gif
Noun 1. barf - the matter ejected in vomiting
vomit, vomitus, puke
body waste, excrement, excreta, excretory product, excretion - waste matter (as urine or sweat but especially feces) discharged from the body
Verb 1. barf - eject the contents of the stomach through the mouth; "After drinking too much, the students vomited"; "He purged continuously"; "The patient regurgitated the food we gave him last night"
be sick, puke, regorge, retch, sick, throw up, upchuck, vomit, vomit up, disgorge, cat, spue, spew, regurgitate, chuck, honk, purge, cast
egest, excrete, eliminate, pass - eliminate from the body; "Pass a kidney stone"
Yes, I understand estcrh - you apparently lack sufficient mental capacity to back up what you say, you don't understand your rights as a citizen, and you need to ask the government for permission to carry a firearm.  All admirable traits for an inner-city Democrat from New Orleans.
Projectile vomiting (barfing, puking) in children can be a frightening experience for parents. This is a form of vomiting where the stomach (or really stupid thoughts)contents are forcibly pushed out of the body through vigorous vomiting. Projectile vomiting can strain the esophagus and stomach (and our intelligence). While projectile vomiting can be a short-lived event(lets hope so in this case) in many children, it can also be an indication of serious health(mental health) issues. Dehydration is a significant risk, particularly if the vomiting continues over a period of several days or longer and is accompanied with fever(delusions) and diarrhea (of the mouth).

georg jetson

imported post

Summit_Ace wrote:
What equal protection clause?

estcrh

imported post

Summit_Ace wrote:
What really erks me is when people post a topic like this and you have someone get all bent cause it is not directly about open carry. It still effects us.
I thought EVERYONE who has an interest in gun rights would stick up for each other. My friends who do not want to open carry still defend our right to do it...this issue needs to be pushed back any way it can.

If you can not legally carry a concealed weapon in a school zone you certainly cant carry one openly..and that means that a huge area of the French Quarter is a no mans land..as well as many other neighborhoods in every L.A. city and town. Only an IDIOT would not understand that this would be an important victory for ALL gun owners. If concealed is allowed the next step would be open carry as well....

derf-fan-182

imported post

georg jetson wrote:
estcrh wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:
SB 81 passed the committee favorably and now goes to the Senate floor.
Great news, hopefully everyone who wants to get our rights back to walk in our own neighborhoods without becoming a criminal just for legally carrying a gun will send some emails!!!
First off... thanks XD for the update... good news...

Unfortunately, this is not getting "rights" back. This is getting permission in lieu of a right. The state of La. still thinks it can regulate Art 1 sec 11 beyond "concealed on the person".

We should definitely send the correspondence to our representatives because you fight any way you can, but the war still rages. I'm optimistic on the outcome of the war though... we seem to have some real fighters here in La.
+1

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have strongly disliked the "Firearm Free School Zone " law as long as I have been carrying. I live 1050 feet from a school. Although I can walk in front of my house without troulble, I can't walk around the block (like to walk the dog) while carrying. So I do hope that these bills become law. Perhaps some people will come to see that it is not the gun, but the person who wields it that may be a problem.

But I know we cannot convince everyone. The most ardent anti-gunners and the hopelessly hoplophobic will never come around. Anyone who watched the testimony at the House Criminal Justice Committee yesterday saw ample evidence of that.

Some of the anti-gun questions and some of the anti-gun testimony stood boldly against all arguments of logic - the finest was when the woman from the Department of Education simply ignored the fact that under current law, a gun owner whose property abuts a school can sit in his backyard facing the school and hold all of the guns he wants; and there's nothing that can be done to stop him (unless, of course, he actually threatens someone with the guns). Her reply was that she understood that but didn't want to pass a law that would bring guns any closer to children than they are now.

estcrh

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
I have strongly disliked the "Firearm Free School Zone " law as long as I have been carrying.  I live 1050 feet from a school.  Although I can walk in front of my house without troulble, I can't walk around the block (like to walk the dog) while carrying.  So I do hope that these bills become law.  Perhaps some people will come to see that it is not the gun, but the person who wields it that may be a problem.

But I know we cannot convince everyone.  The most ardent anti-gunners and the hopelessly hoplophobic will never come around.  Anyone who watched the testimony at the House Criminal Justice Committee yesterday saw ample evidence of that. 

Some of the anti-gun questions and some of the anti-gun testimony stood boldly against all arguments of logic - the finest was when the woman from the Department of Education simply ignored the fact that under current law, a gun owner whose property abuts a school can sit in his backyard facing the school and hold all of the guns he wants; and there's nothing that can be done to stop him (unless, of course, he actually threatens someone with the guns).  Her reply was that she understood that but didn't want to pass a law that would bring guns any closer to children than they are now.
People who think the they have some sort of mythical right to open carry any were they want are delusional if they think they are going to walk in one of these invisible "zones" with out any problems. This concerns ALL of us as there are schools every were both public and private.

The 2 schools near me are Catholic schools. The fact that such a law could be passed in the first place shows how easy it would be to erode our so called "rights" even further any time some politicians decide to, no matter what you think the constitution says.

derf-fan-182

imported post

estcrh wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:
I have strongly disliked the "Firearm Free School Zone " law as long as I have been carrying. I live 1050 feet from a school. Although I can walk in front of my house without troulble, I can't walk around the block (like to walk the dog) while carrying. So I do hope that these bills become law. Perhaps some people will come to see that it is not the gun, but the person who wields it that may be a problem.

But I know we cannot convince everyone. The most ardent anti-gunners and the hopelessly hoplophobic will never come around. Anyone who watched the testimony at the House Criminal Justice Committee yesterday saw ample evidence of that.

Some of the anti-gun questions and some of the anti-gun testimony stood boldly against all arguments of logic - the finest was when the woman from the Department of Education simply ignored the fact that under current law, a gun owner whose property abuts a school can sit in his backyard facing the school and hold all of the guns he wants; and there's nothing that can be done to stop him (unless, of course, he actually threatens someone with the guns). Her reply was that she understood that but didn't want to pass a law that would bring guns any closer to children than they are now.
People who think the they have some sort of mythical right to open carry any were they want are delusional if they think they are going to walk in one of these invisible "zones" with out any problems. This concerns ALL of us as there are schools every were both public and private.

The 2 schools near me are Catholic schools. The fact that such a law could be passed in the first place shows how easy it would be to erode our so called "rights" even further any time some politicians decide to, no matter what you think the constitution says.
I have not seen where anyone here has stated that they have a mythical right to open carry anywhere they want - actually, quite the opposite if you read some of the posts here. And I hardly think this concerns all of us if the bill only applies to concealed permit holders.

You seem to be out of your swim lane on this.

estcrh

imported post

Your Lawyer wrote:
estcrh wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:
I have strongly disliked the "Firearm Free School Zone " law as long as I have been carrying.  I live 1050 feet from a school.  Although I can walk in front of my house without troulble, I can't walk around the block (like to walk the dog) while carrying.  So I do hope that these bills become law.  Perhaps some people will come to see that it is not the gun, but the person who wields it that may be a problem.

But I know we cannot convince everyone.  The most ardent anti-gunners and the hopelessly hoplophobic will never come around.  Anyone who watched the testimony at the House Criminal Justice Committee yesterday saw ample evidence of that. 

Some of the anti-gun questions and some of the anti-gun testimony stood boldly against all arguments of logic - the finest was when the woman from the Department of Education simply ignored the fact that under current law, a gun owner whose property abuts a school can sit in his backyard facing the school and hold all of the guns he wants; and there's nothing that can be done to stop him (unless, of course, he actually threatens someone with the guns).  Her reply was that she understood that but didn't want to pass a law that would bring guns any closer to children than they are now.

I have not seen where anyone here has stated that they have a mythical right to open carry anywhere they want - actually, quite the opposite if you read some of the posts here.  And I hardly think this concerns all of us if the bill only applies to concealed permit holders.

"Just because you live in a fantasy world and need to have a master give you permission to carry a gun doesn't mean others here have to do the same." What do you call this statement?...and your right...his law only concerns people who are concerned about the rights of EVERYONE who owns or wants to own a gun..for those of you that ONLY care about your ability to open carry or your OWN personal gripe and nothing else then I suggest you just do not read or post here as this does not concern you. Your the one SWIMMING in your own little private pool with out any concern for anyone other than your self. There seems to be a never ending supply of selfish, self concerned, ignorant jerks here! Go post your own thread!

derf-fan-182

imported post

estcrh wrote:
Your Lawyer wrote:
estcrh wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:

I have not seen where anyone here has stated that they have a mythical right to open carry anywhere they want - actually, quite the opposite if you read some of the posts here. And I hardly think this concerns all of us if the bill only applies to concealed permit holders.

"Just because you live in a fantasy world and need to have a master give you permission to carry a gun doesn't mean others here have to do the same." What do you call this statement?...and your right...his law only concerns people who are concerned about the rights of EVERYONE who owns or wants to own a gun..for those of you that ONLY care about your ability to open carry or your OWN personal gripe and nothing else then I suggest you just do not read or post here as this does not concern you. Your the one SWIMMING in your own little private pool with out any concern for anyone other than your self. There seems to be a never ending supply of selfish, self concerned, ignorant jerks here! Go post your own thread!
By virtue of you posting on an Internet forum, you invite comments. You must realize this, correct?

The statement you provided hardly constitutes a mythical right to open carry everywhere, it simply contrasts one difference between concealed and open carry.

This is a specialized interest forum regarding open carry and you have posted an item regarding concealed carry. You should expect some lively feedback.

georg jetson

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:

Did anyone bring up the point that the La. state legislature does NOT have the power to regulate open carried firearms, therefore prohibiting concealed carry near a school is a moot point?

ö

imported post

Your Lawyer wrote:
estcrh wrote:
Your Lawyer wrote:
estcrh wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:

By virtue of you posting on an Internet forum, you invite comments. You must realize this, correct?

The statement you provided hardly constitutes a mythical right to open carry everywhere, it simply contrasts one difference between concealed and open carry.

This is a specialized interest forum regarding open carry and you have posted an item regarding concealed carry. You should expect some lively feedback.
I miss MEM.

estcrh

imported post

georg jetson wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:

Did anyone bring up the point that the La. state legislature does NOT have the power to regulate open carried firearms,  therefore prohibiting concealed carry near a school is a moot point?
Well then, lets see you or ANYONE here who BIGTALKS try to open carry in a school zone and let us know how that turns out..ok?

estcrh

imported post

Your Lawyer wrote:
estcrh wrote:
Your Lawyer wrote:
estcrh wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:

I have not seen where anyone here has stated that they have a mythical right to open carry anywhere they want - actually, quite the opposite if you read some of the posts here.  And I hardly think this concerns all of us if the bill only applies to concealed permit holders.

By virtue of you posting on an Internet forum, you invite comments.  You must realize this, correct?

This is a specialized interest forum regarding open carry and you have posted an item regarding concealed carry.  You should expect some lively feedback.
"Did anyone bring up the point that the La. state legislature does NOT have the power to regulate open carried firearms, therefore prohibiting concealed carry near a school is a moot point?" Well, how about this well informed statement then??

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

georg jetson wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:

Did anyone bring up the point that the La. state legislature does NOT have the power to regulate open carried firearms, therefore prohibiting concealed carry near a school is a moot point?

No, and I'm convinced such a presentation would have gone in one ear and out the other of the people who opposed the bill. Rep. Wooton several times pointed out the example of the guy in the next yard and pointed out that he did not have to be licensed in any way. He followed that with a statement to the effect that CHP holders are among the most trustworthy people in the state - they've been investigated, found clean, and are statistically less likely to commit ANY crime than the general population.

Those in opposition were not impressed, but did offer that perhaps the zone was too big and could be reduced to 500 feet as a compromise. Rep. Wooton said no, that it makes no sense to criminalize the guy at 500 feet, but not the guy a 510 feet. He stressed that this was not a "guns on campus" bill.

Overall it is a step in the right direction - and to that effect, it shouldbe somethingOCers should discuss here.

ö

imported post

um, estcrh your posts don't make any sense. you have a ccp permit right? maybe the legislature should focus more on establishing some sort of psychological test before they hand out ccp permits.