• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Want to carry in a school zone with out fear of arrest

estcrh

imported post

Here is your chance, while these bills deal with concealed carry in a school zone it is a start...contact the state reps and support this important first step to getting our rights back. From the NRA>>>> Louisiana: Right-to-Carry Reform Needs Your Support
On Tuesday, April 27, the Senate Judiciary B Committee will hold a hearing on Senate Bill 81 at 9:30AM in Room E. This legislation, introduced by State Senator Daniel Martiny (R-10), would exempt concealed carry permit holders from the 1,000 foot “Gun Free School Zone.” State Representative Ernest Wooton (R-105) introduced the companion bill, House Bill 556, which is scheduled to be heard by the Committee on Administration of Criminal Justice Wednesday, April 28, at 9:30AM in room HCR-6.
State law prohibits any individual from possessing a firearm within approximately a quarter mile of any school property, even concealed carry permit licensees. An individual does not have to know that they’re within the 1000 foot zone and the penalty for violation of this statute is a felony.
Although the current state prohibition does not apply to possession of a firearm on or in private property (e.g. home, automobile, land, or place of business), it has very real impact on law-abiding Louisianans’ ability to protect themselves and their families in everyday situations, such as walking the dog or walking home at night from work.
Please contact members of the Senate Judiciary B Committee and the House Committee on Administration of Criminal Justice TODAY! Respectfully urge them to support SB 81 and HB 556. Contact information for the committee members is listed below.
Senate Judiciary B Committee
Senator Daniel Martiny (Chairman)
(504) 834-7676
martinyd@legis.state.la.us
Senator David Heitmeier (Vice-Chairman)
(504) 361-6356
heitmeid@legis.state.la.us
Senator John A. Alario, Jr.
(504) 340-2221
alarioj@legis.state.la.us
Senator Norby Chabert
(985) 858-2927
chabertn@legis.state.la.us
Senator Lydia P. Jackson
(318) 676-7029
jacksonl@legis.state.la.us
Senator Eric LaFleur
(337) 363-5019
lafleure@legis.state.la.us

Senator Karen Carter Peterson
(504) 568-8346
petersonk@legis.state.la.us
House Committee on Administration of Criminal Justice

State Representative Ernest Wooten (R-105) Chairman
(504)393-5649
larep105@legis.state.la.us

State Representative Damon J. Baldone (D-53) Vice Chairman
(985)876-8872
larep053@legis.state.la.us

State Representative Roy Burrell (D-2)
(318)676-7137
larep002@legis.state.la.us

State Representative Mickey James Guillory (D-41)
(337)457-0194
larep041@legis.state.la.us

State Representative Lowell C. Hazel (R-27)
(318)767-6082
hazelc@legis.state.la.us

State Representative Frank A. Howard (R-24)
(318)256-4135
howardf@legis.state.la.us

State Representative Walt Leger, III (D-91)
(504)556-9970
legerw@legis.state.la.us

State Representative Joseph P. Lopinto III (R-80)
(504)456-3806
lopintoj@legis.state.la.us

State Representative Barbara Norton (D-3)
(318)632-5887
nortonb@legis.state.la.us

State Representative Jonathan W. Perry (R-47)
(337)893-5035
perryj@legis.state.la.us

State Representative Gary Smith, Jr. (D-56)
(985)764-9122
larep56@legis.state.la.us

State Representative Charmaine Marchand Stiaes (D-99)
(504)942-7835
larep099@legis.state.la.us

State Representative Ricky J. Templet (R-85)
(504)361-6013
templetr@legis.state.la.us

State Representative Ledricka Johnson Thierry (D-40)
(337)948-0369
thierryl@legis.state.la.us

State Representative Mack A. "Bodi" White, Jr. (R-64)
(225)791-2199
larep064@legis.state.la.us

James Cannon

imported post

I'm very curious as to what to tell them in an email. I fully support this, and have been watching the status of these bills as they update, but I have no idea what would be the most effective way to communicate my support in a way that is respectable in their eyes. I want them to take my message seriously.

estcrh

imported post

James Cannon wrote:
I'm very curious as to what to tell them in an email.  I fully support this, and have been watching the status of these bills as they update, but I have no idea what would be the most effective way to communicate my support in a way that is respectable in their eyes.  I want them to take my message seriously.
I emailed every one on the list, I explained how the current law could accidentally make me a criminal just for trying to keep myself safe, and that I was a law abiding tax paying citizen who was trying to deal with living in a dangerous city with a lot of crime all around were I live.

School zones were meant to keep students safe from criminals and not meant to turn tax paying, law abiding citizens into criminals in their own neighborhoods.

estcrh

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
SB 81 passed the committee favorably and now goes to the Senate floor.
Great news, hopefully everyone who wants to get our rights back to walk in our own neighborhoods without becoming a criminal just for legally carrying a gun will send some emails!!!

georg jetson

imported post

estcrh wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:
Great news, hopefully everyone who wants to get our rights back to walk in our own neighborhoods without becoming a criminal just for legally carrying a gun will send some emails!!!
First off... thanks XD for the update... good news...

Unfortunately, this is not getting "rights" back. This is getting permission in lieu of a right. The state of La. still thinks it can regulate Art 1 sec 11 beyond "concealed on the person".

We should definitely send the correspondence to our representatives because you fight any way you can, but the war still rages. I'm optimistic on the outcome of the war though... we seem to have some real fighters here in La.

estcrh

imported post

georg jetson wrote:
estcrh wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:

Unfortunately, this is not getting "rights" back. This is getting permission in lieu of a right. The state of La. still thinks it can regulate Art 1 sec 11 beyond "concealed on the person".

We should definitely send the correspondence to our representatives because you fight any way you can, but the war still rages. I'm optimistic on the outcome of the war though... we seem to have some real fighters here in La.
Ok Mr NEGATIVE!! were not getting our rights back..boo hoo...we are getting PERMISSION!! Unless you are willing to spend YOUR own personal money to try to fight for your rights then this is as good as it gets for the time being, just write to these people whatever you think this will do for you.

Nikki_Black

Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
imported post

estcrh wrote:
georg jetson wrote:
estcrh wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:

Ok Mr NEGATIVE!! were not getting our rights back..boo hoo...we are getting PERMISSION!! Unless you are willing to spend YOUR own personal money to try to fight for your rights then this is as good as it gets for the time being, just write to these people whatever you think this will do for you.
Dude, chill. I'm waiting to see what happens with all of this. Hoping for more good news.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It still has to pass the entire Senate and then go through the process in the House. The is an identical bill in the House - HB 556 - which will be heard in the House Criminal Justice Committee on Wednesday morning. I think it will also pass, but there are enough anti-gunners on this committee that it could be a problem.

The LSA President posted on BayouShooter.com that the Education lobby is seeking to modify the bills to ensure that they do not permit campus carry. I've read both bills, and they seem pretty straightforward to me in already doing that. We need to keep vigilant on this to see what modifications get put forward.

Any amendments added on the floor of either chamber will have NO public debate or input, so contact your Rep/Sen and tell them where you stand now.

barf

imported post

estcrh wrote:
georg jetson wrote:
estcrh wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:

Just because you live in a fantasy world and need to have a master give you permission to carry a gun doesn't mean others here have to do the same. Why don't you take your crap posts to a concealed carry forum, because that seems to be all you post here on OPENcarry.org.

estcrh

imported post

barf wrote:
estcrh wrote:
georg jetson wrote:
estcrh wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:

Just because you live in a fantasy world and need to have a master give you permission to carry a gun doesn't mean others here have to do the same.  Why don't you take your crap posts to a concealed carry forum, because that seems to be all you post here on OPENcarry.org.
Puke vomit???

estcrh

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
It still has to pass the entire Senate and then go through the process in the House.  The is an identical bill in the House - HB 556 - which will be heard in the House Criminal Justice Committee on Wednesday morning.  I think it will also pass, but there are enough anti-gunners on this committee that it could be a problem.

The LSA President posted on BayouShooter.com that the Education lobby is seeking to modify the bills to ensure that they do not permit campus carry.  I've read both bills, and they seem pretty straightforward to me in already doing that.  We need to keep vigilant on this to see what modifications get put forward. 

Any amendments added on the floor of either chamber will have NO public debate or input, so contact your Rep/Sen and tell them where you stand now.
XD-GEM were are you getting your info, can you post a link? As you know my neighborhhood has 2 schools within a few blocks of each other making the whole damn place a school zone. This bill would help a lot of people to protect themselves without having to worry about being arrested on their own street. You were at the 8th dist police meeting were Lt Selby warned (threatened) anyone who wanted to carry a gun in the Quarter about the school zones I believe.

The 8th district police use these school zones to intimidate anyone who brings up the subject of open carry or concealed carry. Since the Quarter is 13 by 6 blocks the 2 school zones take up a lot of this space, and no one really knows were the borders of these zones are, add to that the fact that many houses are in the zone so people here are worried about walking out their doors and being automatically in a school zone.

I am sure there are plenty of other people all over the city who have the same problem and would start to carry a weapon to protect themselves in their own neighborhood if they could do it WITHIN THE LAW!!!!!!

barf

imported post

estcrh wrote:
barf wrote:
estcrh wrote:
georg jetson wrote:
estcrh wrote:
XD-GEM wrote:

Just because you live in a fantasy world and need to have a master give you permission to carry a gun doesn't mean others here have to do the same. Why don't you take your crap posts to a concealed carry forum, because that seems to be all you post here on OPENcarry.org.
Puke vomit???
Another quality post by estcrh. Why does he continue to dodge any issues or questions posed to him? Why does he need a master to give him permission to carry a gun? Why does he continue to post concealed carry information on an open carry site?

fail_thread.jpg

estcrh

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
The Louisiana Shooting Association is hosting a blog.  You can get to it at either of these links, the first is the LSA home page where you can find a link, the second is the mirrored site at Bayoushooter.com.

http://www.louisianashooting.com/

http://www.bayoushooter.com/legislation/

LSA President Dan Zelenka has also posted in some of the forums on BayouShooter.com.
XD-GEN, thanks for the info, I am sure any RATIONAL open carry or concealed carry individual will support this effort to keep gun owners from becoming criminals. No one who is not a criminal deserves to go to JAIL for simply walking into some invisible make believe zone!! I support ANY bill that helps ANYONE WHO CARRIES AT ALL. read this if you do not understand the importance if the bills>>>>>>>

"Senate Bill 81 (CCH carry within 1,000′ of school) cleared the Senate Judiciary B committee this morning without objection from the committee members though it was clear they were hearing the concerns of higher education that the bill might lead to problems.

HB556, along with the other firearm bills noted in yesterday’s post, will be heard Wednesday morning and is identical. It would really be helpful for the committee members of the House Administration of Criminal Justice to hear from you, the legitimate firearms owners about how you feel on this bill.

Remember folks, these bills address the problem a law abiding citizen who has a permit would face should he/she be out of their car, but within 1,000′ of a school they don’t even know about. Current law makes this a 5 year felony and lack of knowledge of the presence of the school is NOT a defense provided under the existing law. It also doesn’t matter whether school is in session or not.

When plotted on a map, these zone cover an average of two to three city blocks. Do you know what is three blocks away when your car has a flat tire when traveling through a different city? You’d better if you don’t feel like lending your support to get this bill passed."

barf

imported post

This thread regarding concealed carry legislation is inappropriate for an open carry site.

Your advice to users here to retain a concealed carry permit for open carry is inappropriate.

thread-pic%20%28161%29.gif

estcrh

imported post

barf wrote:
This thread regarding concealed carry legislation is inappropriate for an open carry site. 

Your advice to users here to retain a concealed carry permit for open carry is inappropriate. 

Noun 1. barf - the matter ejected in vomiting
vomit, vomitus, puke
body waste, excrement, excreta, excretory product, excretion - waste matter (as urine or sweat but especially feces) discharged from the body
Verb 1. barf - eject the contents of the stomach through the mouth; "After drinking too much, the students vomited"; "He purged continuously"; "The patient regurgitated the food we gave him last night"
be sick, puke, regorge, retch, sick, throw up, upchuck, vomit, vomit up, disgorge, cat, spue, spew, regurgitate, chuck, honk, purge, cast
egest, excrete, eliminate, pass - eliminate from the body; "Pass a kidney stone"

barf

imported post

estcrh wrote:
barf wrote:

Noun 1. barf - the matter ejected in vomiting
vomit, vomitus, puke
body waste, excrement, excreta, excretory product, excretion - waste matter (as urine or sweat but especially feces) discharged from the body
Verb 1. barf - eject the contents of the stomach through the mouth; "After drinking too much, the students vomited"; "He purged continuously"; "The patient regurgitated the food we gave him last night"
be sick, puke, regorge, retch, sick, throw up, upchuck, vomit, vomit up, disgorge, cat, spue, spew, regurgitate, chuck, honk, purge, cast
egest, excrete, eliminate, pass - eliminate from the body; "Pass a kidney stone"
Yes, I understand estcrh - you apparently lack sufficient mental capacity to back up what you say, you don't understand your rights as a citizen, and you need to ask the government for permission to carry a firearm. All admirable traits for an inner-city Democrat from New Orleans.