• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Everett Officer Acquitted

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

It is nice to see justice handed down. The officer protected law-abiding citizens from a drunk lunatic behind the wheel of a high performance machine.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011709224_copshooting27m.html

"EVERETT — Everett police Officer Troy Meade was found not guilty Monday of second-degree murder and first-degree manslaughter in the fatal shooting of a drunken man in a car last summer."

gsx1138

imported post

Gotta say I have little sympathy for drunk drivers but I'm sure the jury heard more about what happened than we ever will from the media. If they went with not guilty then so be it.

By the way, 7 out of 8 shots connecting is amazingly good for a LEO.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
Gotta say I have little sympathy for drunk drivers but I'm sure the jury heard more about what happened than we ever will from the media. If they went with not guilty then so be it.

By the way, 7 out of 8 shots connecting is amazingly good for a LEO.

7 out of 8 is good, even if it was nearly point blank range..for an LEO.

The jury obviously did hear things that we definately did not hear. You blow a .26 you kinda get what is coming to you when trying to drive.

Norman

imported post

I'm not entirely sure that the cop is a stand-up kind of guy, but the drunk sounded like a real waste of human skin. The jury handed down a verdict, so I accept what they did. I can't say I feel sorry for the driver though.

ChuckUFarley

imported post

Was there ever any doubt, this states LEAhave shown time and again to becorrupt.I am not saying all cops are corrupt, so for those of you who want to jump on the "No LEO bashing" bandwagon you can stop right there. From all the verdicts coming out from other LEOs who were charged and got off Scott free, or who weren’t charged at all when they should have been, this verdict shouldn’t surprise anyone.

I hope the family fairs better in their lawsuit.

gsx1138

imported post

ChuckUFarley wrote:
Was there ever any doubt, this states LEA are so damn corrupt.I hope the family fairs better in their lawsuit.

Perhaps you have insight that we don't. Care to share it? Because it wasn't any LEA that found this man not guilty, it was a jury. And from the recording I heard of the trial the Prosecuter went after that guy pretty hard.

Not that I really care, because as far as I'm concerned anyone driving that drunk is at least an attempted murderer.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

I have a funny feeling that if it was any one of usthat fired those shots, the verdict would have been different.

This is only the beginning for this officer. Now he'll face civil charges.

joeroket

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
I have a funny feeling that if it was any one of us that fired those shots, the verdict would have been different.

This is only the beginning for this officer.  Now he'll face civil charges.
Not if the jury returns with a self-defense answer.

XD45PlusP

imported post

joeroket wrote:
okkid wrote:
I just new they would let him go for murder because hes a cop. BS

That is an ignorant statement. How is it that you knew this?
Why would it be ignorant if that's how he feels? He's entitled to his opinion. He's not stating it as fact. Just cause you don't like it....

joeroket

imported post

XD45PlusP wrote:
joeroket wrote:
okkid wrote:
I just new they would let him go for murder because hes a cop. BS

That is an ignorant statement. How is it that you knew this?
Why would it be ignorant if that's how he feels? He's entitled to his opinion. He's not stating it as fact. Just cause you don't like it....
Still ignorant nonetheless.

Norman

imported post

Opinions can be ignorant. The jury was given their information, and made a decision. To say that the jury made the decision because he was a cop, and not very a million other possible reasons, without knowing for sure (ie being on the jury) then you have made an ignorant comment. okkid has no idea what the jury was going through back there. Only the jury knows that.

Matt85

imported post

i do my best not to bash police officers onlineand i dont think we are provided with enough info to say he was right or wrong.

however i will say this, as far as i know bothLEOs and civiliansare not aloud to use deadly force unless lives are in immediate danger (correct me if im wrong). as far as i know both LEOs and civilians have the same rights when it comes to lethal force.

If he was not a police officer, would the trial have gone differently?

-matt

okkid

imported post

Because evertime they go to court they always walk away no matter what thats why I said it and I mean it and if that is not ok with you well thats not my problem.

Im just sick of all the bs with cops getting away with being thugs with a badge.

okkid

imported post

Matt85 wrote:
i do my best not to bash police officers onlineand i dont think we are provided with enough info to say he was right or wrong.

however i will say this, as far as i know bothLEOs and civiliansare not aloud to use deadly force unless lives are in immediate danger (correct me if im wrong). as far as i know both LEOs and civilians have the same rights when it comes to lethal force.

-matt
Yes

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Matt85 wrote:

-matt

Slight correction, life and limb is not the only time lawful use of deadly force is allowed. Again for those who can'tcomprehend this, I am not endorsing this, just stating whats allowed by law.

Also non LEO are allowed more leeway in this reguard according to the law....

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.040

Notes:Legislative recognition: "The legislature recognizes that RCW 9A.16.040 establishes a dual standard with respect to the use of deadly force by peace officers and private citizens, and further recognizes that private citizens' permissible use of deadly force under the authority of RCW 9.01.200, 9A.16.020, or 9A.16.050 is not restricted and remains broader than the limitations imposed on peace officers." [1986 c 209 § 3.]

kschmadeka

imported post

I saw this coming. Same thing happened in the Elio Carrion case. All the prosecutor had to do was help the defense attorney stack the jury inthe defendant'sfavor. Thus he gets thebest of both worlds,the appearance of going after the murdering cop, while still protecting the man in blue like he's expected by them to do.

The family will win something in the civil suit, but that's all the justice they'll get.