• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Everett Officer Acquitted

Bersa.380

imported post

I know and fully understand that LEO bashing is against the rules on this site, and if I get banned for saying this ... ... so be it.

Everett Police Officer Troy Meade was found not gulity of murder today ... this is one big step forward for police officers to get more aggressive and shoot your sorry butt and then scream in court "I feared for my life"

Facts: Meade was frustrated with an unarmed drunk that he tazed twice. His fellow officer heard him say: "time to end this, enough is enough" before he shot him 7 times. This is un-freaking-believable, I have followed this story since it started "Officer Meade lied under oath"

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20100426/NEWS01/100429882

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2009/10/everett_officer_troy_meade_cha.php

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2010/04/troy_meades_murder_trial_hinge.php

ChuckUFarley

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
ChuckUFarley wrote:
Was there ever any doubt, this states LEA are so damn corrupt.I hope the family fairs better in their lawsuit.

Perhaps you have insight that we don't. Care to share it? Because it wasn't any LEA that found this man not guilty, it was a jury. And from the recording I heard of the trial the Prosecuter went after that guy pretty hard.

Not that I really care, because as far as I'm concerned anyone driving that drunk is at least an attempted murderer.

No special insight needed, if it was you or me, we would be getting a pineapple shoved up our asses in prison, and the prosecutor would have gone all out. Although you are correct, I do not know the info given to the jury, but it is the same every time, if there is a cop that comes out as a witness against another cop, they still amazingly find them not guilty. This is not insight it is fact.

The prosecutors, the DA, the Judge 9 out of 10 times direct the trial to favor the cop, look at the case of thesheriff that beat the 17 yo girl, trial was thrown out because they couldn’t agree since the court pushed it as self defense.

Or how about the Seattle cop who put that Kid into a coma, not even a slap on the wrist.

If it was you or me or anyone else, self defense in a case like this wouldn’t hold water and you know it.

gsx1138

imported post

I don't know enough about the case so I have to go with the jury. Otherwise there's a lot of assumptions being made. And I'm sure if the officer did really make that statement it would've come up in court. Despite all of that the statement may have been made before the drunk was trying to run him down. Too many assumption here and not enough factual information.

Bersa.380

imported post

joeroket wrote:
XD45PlusP wrote:
joeroket wrote:
okkid wrote:
I just new they would let him go for murder because hes a cop. BS

That is an ignorant statement. How is it that you knew this?
Why would it be ignorant if that's how he feels? He's entitled to his opinion. He's not stating it as fact. Just cause you don't like it....
Still ignorant nonetheless.
I followed the whole story from the start and until now ..... I am not going to go into detail regarding what I've read, as you can do that yourself, OK ... But .... YES, after reading it all one gets the feeling Officer Troy Meade got off because he is a cop, Karma will catch Officer Meade, it may not be tomorrow, next week, or next year, but it will catch him.

okkid

imported post

Bersa.380 wrote:
joeroket wrote:
XD45PlusP wrote:
joeroket wrote:
okkid wrote:
I just new they would let him go for murder because hes a cop. BS

That is an ignorant statement. How is it that you knew this?
Why would it be ignorant if that's how he feels? He's entitled to his opinion. He's not stating it as fact. Just cause you don't like it....
Still ignorant nonetheless.
I followed the whole story from the start and until now ..... I am not going to go into detail regarding what I've read, as you can do that yourself, OK ... But .... YES, after reading it all one gets the feeling Officer Troy Meade got off because he is a cop, Karma will catch Officer Meade, it may not be tomorrow, next week, or next year, but it will catch him.
Yes it will!

Bersa.380

imported post

ChuckUFarley wrote:
No special insight needed, if it was you or me, we would be getting a pineapple shoved up our asses in prison, and the prosecutor would have gone all out. Although you are correct, I do not know the info given to the jury, but it is the same every time, if there is a cop that comes out as a witness against another cop, they still amazingly find them not guilty. This is not insight it is fact.
The prosecutors, the DA, the Judge 9 out of 10 times direct the trial to favor the cop, look at the case of thesheriff that beat the 17 yo girl, trial was thrown out because they couldn’t agree since the court pushed it as self defense.
Or how about the Seattle cop who put that Kid into a coma, not even a slap on the wrist.
If it was you or me or anyone else, self defense in a case like this wouldn’t hold water and you know it.
Egg-zacky

erps

imported post

Our justice system is based on the presumption of innocence and then deciding whether the state proved guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. I suppose convicting on an internet forum would be quicker though.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

erps wrote:
Our justice system is based on the presumption of innocence and then deciding whether the state proved guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. I suppose convicting on an internet forum would be quicker though.
As unfortunate in this particular situation may be in terms of holding police accountable for bad acts, the jury box is the only protecting that all persons charged with a felony or gross misdemeanor from bad convictions. There is once a saying: One would rather have 10 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man declared guilty. It may be considered flawed and odious to those of us who wants justice against bad cops, but this serves as a court example for the rest of us: Given the nature of the self defense statute, we can point to this situation if any of us ever face a circumstance similar to this for us acting in this manner.

erps

imported post

kschmadeka wrote:
After this, if I were on Christopher Monfort's jury, I would vote to convict him. Of discharging a firearm in city limits, and nothing more.
Be careful, your lack of integrity is showing.

The sixth amendment of our constitution:

[size="+1"][/size]
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed,
Do you pick and choose the parts of the constitution you respect?

BTW, Tim was a friend of mine. Imagine someone making a comment like you made about the person accused of killing your friend of family member.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

kschmadeka

imported post

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, all accounts are that he was one of the good ones and I don't question that. But the problem with law enforcement is institutional. I used to do nightclub security in Arizona where the law held clubs accountable for the actions of drunk drivers. I got a lot of practice taking keys, dragging drunks out of cars, etc. It's not that hard. I say this without reservation, Troy Meade is a murderer, and he was acquitted by a jury that was stacked in his favor, not impartial, and law enforcement is now celebrating his acquittal.

This is the kind of case that drives and compounds anti-LE sentiment, the kind that created Monfort and all his copycats. I take it you work in law enforcement, if so what is your view on holding Troy Meade into account? When law enforcement really starts to hold their own peoplein account, that's when people like Monfort will stop being created.

erps

imported post

if so what is your view on holding Troy Meade into account?
I only knew what I read in the papers and it sounded bad. I also know that judging a situation from an air chair is a heck of a lot different that reacting to a situation as it unfolds. It wasn't too long ago that we had (edit) some members of this forum who would have shot that unarmed girl who was assaulting another girl in the bus tunnel. I don't recollect you calling anyone in that scenario a murderer.

When law enforcement really starts to hold their own people in account, that's when people like Monfort will stop being created.
people who hate will find an excuse to act on their hate, whether it's because of a perceived unjust jury decision or because someone cut them off in traffic.

sirpuma

imported post

Just remember, the jury based it's verdict on evidence, evidence which the officer and his agency provided to the court. I don't trust any of them. I would need to see all the evidence provided in the court case and then have actually witnessed it myself before I can say one way or another. But a cop who clearly makes a statement like "it's time to end this" before pumping 8 shots at a mans back, 1 which scores a head shot says to me he meant to kill the guy. And to fire 8 shots while he's in a vehicle hitting him a total of 7 times when the vehicle the supposedly moving at such a rate that it's an imminent threat to the cop just smells funny. I don't know about you guys, but hitting a moving target is very hard. Hitting a moving target inside a vehicle in the head is very very difficult. This cop, in my opinion, intended to kill that man. But not having watched to see how much of a threat the drunk really was, I can't say if it was justified.

kschmadeka

imported post

erps wrote:
I only knew what I read in the papers and it sounded bad.

You're darn right it sounded bad. Also undisputed except by Meade himself. You're entitled to your own opinion, without need for a jury. So what is it?

I also know that judging a situation from an air chair is a heck of a lot different that reacting to a situation as it unfolds.

Please don't give me "heat of the moment." Eight rounds into the back of an unarmed man who poses little to no threat is not the sort of decision that requires an entire split second to make.

It wasn't too long ago that we had several members of this forum who would have shot that unarmed girl who was assaulting another girl in the bus tunnel. I don't recollect you calling anyone in that scenario a murderer.

Don't recall participating in that thread, and sure don't remember anyone advocating shooting unarmed girls. That thread is a little to long to review at the moment, but you can feel free to cite. I also don't recall anyone here having shot anyone at alland thus any need to call them a murderer.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"
people who hate will find an excuse to act on their hate, whether it's because of a perceived unjust jury decision or because someone cut them off in traffic.

Whether anyone likes it or not, Monfort wasn't scum, he was a prettystraight-up guy. You can review his own flyers to see what drove him, it was out-of-control law enforcement.

To be clear, I have no wish for any more like him to spring up. But to be further clear, following and analyzing shooting trends is a large part of what I do, and this case could easily cause it to start up again. If I were to make a recommendation to law enforcement, it would be to distance themselves from this decision and shun Troy Meade. Returning him to work in Everett could be a mistake.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

If officer Meade committed a crime he would have been found guilty. Seven rounds in the back seems like a lot, then again sometimes it take more than a couple of shots to stop someone, especially if they are blowing a .26.

The drunk man was posing a threat, he was seated in his sport car with a BAL of .26, angry, not complying and attempting to drive away.

Citizens have way more latitude than an LEO. I think in a self-defense situation we have much more latitude than any of us would want to be test cases in exercising--at least I would not want to be a test case.

I think itisWorkman that says "do not be a test case." I am sure it was him, not that Ayoob guy. Would I shoot a man in the back seven times, HELL NO...then again, I was not there.

A person DOES NOT have to be armed in order to pose a threat. Some say the drunk was not a threat, he was a huge threat, he was wielding a vehicle..even more dangerous than a gun IMO.

erps

imported post

You're darn right it sounded bad. Also undisputed except by Meade himself. You're entitled to your own opinion, without need for a jury. So what is it?
I would have accepted the jury's verdict whether it was guilty or not guilty. The verdict would not have influenced me to act in an unethical manner in the future either way.

Please don't give me "heat of the moment." Eight rounds into the back of an unarmed man who poses little to no threat is not the sort of decision that requires an entire split second to make.
The man was in possession of an instrument capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death. As far as considering decisions made while the incident is unfolding rather than from an arm chair, I recognize there is a difference. The law does too.

You seem to have an ax to grind. You've already stated publicly a bias so strong that it would cause you to act unethically. Why should I rely on your interpretation of this incident?

Whether anyone likes it or not, Monfort wasn't scum, he was a pretty straight-up guy.
I know a lot of straight up guys. None of them are suspected of ambushing other people. I hope Monfort get's a fair trial.