• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School property carry

mikestilly

imported post

SIGfreed wrote:
Ok, so even though a school is public property they can still ask you leave as if it private? Can someone please list the relevant statutes?

The question was asked above which pertains to preemption or not. Hence Zig's post above with link. It's been bounced around quite a bit it looks to be a gray area which I don't want to be a test case for. Considering that I help fund that school I'd like to refuse to leave but I'm not willing to push the limits on it.

lil_freak_66

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
SIGfreed wrote:
Ok, so even though a school is public property they can still ask you leave as if it private? Can someone please list the relevant statutes?

The question was asked above which pertains to preemption or not. Hence Zig's post above with link. It's been bounced around quite a bit it looks to be a gray area which I don't want to be a test case for. Considering that I help fund that school I'd like to refuse to leave but I'm not willing to push the limits on it.

ive seen students ofschools be charged with trespassing when they go to other schools(even of the same public school district) to see friends after classes get out.

i think they can require you to leave if you do not have a reason to be there.

this is just based off my first hand experience of watching people get ticketed for trespassing in public schools.

maustin195

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
SIGfreed wrote:

MCL 123.1102 only restricts certain "Local Units of Government" - those being Cities, Townships, Counties, and Municipalities.

A School District is not listed - and is a completely separate unit of government from a City, County, etc.

Therefore, a School District may restrict carry on property they control.
Who would have the legal authority to ask you to leave?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

maustin195 wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
SIGfreed wrote:

MCL 123.1102 only restricts certain "Local Units of Government" - those being Cities, Townships, Counties, and Municipalities.

A School District is not listed - and is a completely separate unit of government from a City, County, etc.

Any authority of the school. Principal, Vice Principal, Superintendant, etc.

The law itself doesn't say - it would be a determination of the courts as to whether or not an individual telling you to leave would be notice of trespass or not.

G

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
maustin195 wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
SIGfreed wrote:

The law itself doesn't say - it would be a determination of the courts as to whether or not an individual telling you to leave would be notice of trespass or not.
I think you're wrong.

If that were the case then sprinklerguy28 would have been told to leave. Instead they found that what he does is lawful and they can't do anything about it.

Read his thread again. It's pretty cut and dry. No gray areas at all.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/40511.html

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MIKEHUNT wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
maustin195 wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
SIGfreed wrote:

I think you're wrong.

If that were the case then sprinklerguy28 would have been told to leave. Instead they found that what he does is lawful and they can't do anything about it.

Just because they don't know they can ask him to leave, doesn't mean that they can't ask him to leave.

I agree that Sprinklerguy was not breaking any laws.

G

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
MIKEHUNT wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
maustin195 wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
SIGfreed wrote:

I think you're wrong.

Just because they don't know they can ask him to leave, doesn't mean that they can't ask him to leave.

You don't think that if they could have, that the 3 police officers there, including the resident dare officer who most certainly would have had the "authority", would have?

Don't you think that after conferring with the city attorney that if they could have just told him not to do it that they simply would have?

No. They didn't because they knew they couldn't. Simple as that.

And of course he wasn't breaking any laws. That's obvious. If he had been he would have gotten arrested in a NY minute.

maustin195

imported post

MIKEHUNT wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
MIKEHUNT wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
maustin195 wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
SIGfreed wrote:

I think you're wrong.

You don't think that if they could have, that the 3 police officers there, including the resident dare officer who most certainly would have had the "authority", would have?

Don't you think that after conferring with the city attorney that if they could have just told him not to do it that they simply would have?

And of course he wasn't breaking any laws. That's obvious. If he had been he would have gotten arrested in a NY minute.
I really believe you to be correct. I wonder what happened from the other post when they supposedly were going to ask the AG for an opinion.

G

imported post

maustin195 wrote:
MIKEHUNT wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
MIKEHUNT wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
maustin195 wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
SIGfreed wrote:

I think you're wrong.

I really believe you to be correct. I wonder what happened from the other post when they supposedly were going to ask the AG for an opinion.
Sprinklerguy28 got a phone call and then some background documentation. The city attorney did not feel that clarification from the AG was necessary because the statutes were quite clear that he was acting lawfully. The PD went so far as to invite him to participate in the training of not only their officers, but also the local school officials.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MIKEHUNT wrote:

Like I said, the act itself is lawful. I don't believe a school district to be preempted, however.

MCL 380.11 is the law that organizes a school district as a local unit of government created directly by the State. As such, it would need to be explicitly listed by MCL 123.1102 in order to be preempted by the state.

Further, MCL 380.11a(3) provides:

(3) A general powers school district has all of the rights, powers, and duties expressly stated in this act; may exercise a power implied or incident to a power expressly stated in this act; and, except as provided by law, may exercise a power incidental or appropriate to the performance of a function related to operation of the school district in the interests of public elementary and secondary education in the school district, including, but not limited to, all of the following:

(a) Educating pupils. In addition to educating pupils in grades K-12, this function may include operation of preschool, lifelong education, adult education, community education, training, enrichment, and recreation programs for other persons.

(b) Providing for the safety and welfare of pupils while at school or a school sponsored activity or while en route to or from school or a school sponsored activity.

(c) Acquiring, constructing, maintaining, repairing, renovating, disposing of, or conveying school property, facilities, equipment, technology, or furnishings.

(d) Hiring, contracting for, scheduling, supervising, or terminating employees, independent contractors, and others to carry out school district powers. A school district may indemnify its employees.

(e) Receiving, accounting for, investing, or expending school district money; borrowing money and pledging school district funds for repayment; and qualifying for state school aid and other public or private money from local, regional, state, or federal sources.

In other words, unless the school district makes carrying on its property against the rules - it's a lawful act. If they make it against the rules, they may ask you to leave.

They may also ask anyone to leave at any time in order to "provide the safety and welfare of pupils" as authorized by state law.

G

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
MIKEHUNT wrote:

Like I said, the act itself is lawful. I don't believe a school district to be preempted, however.

MCL 380.11 is the law that organizes a school district as a local unit of government created directly by the State. As such, it would need to be explicitly listed by MCL 123.1102 in order to be preempted by the state.

(3) A general powers school district has all of the rights, powers, and duties expressly stated in this act; may exercise a power implied or incident to a power expressly stated in this act; and, except as provided by law, may exercise a power incidental or appropriate to the performance of a function related to operation of the school district in the interests of public elementary and secondary education in the school district, including, but not limited to, all of the following:

(a) Educating pupils. In addition to educating pupils in grades K-12, this function may include operation of preschool, lifelong education, adult education, community education, training, enrichment, and recreation programs for other persons.

(b) Providing for the safety and welfare of pupils while at school or a school sponsored activity or while en route to or from school or a school sponsored activity.

(c) Acquiring, constructing, maintaining, repairing, renovating, disposing of, or conveying school property, facilities, equipment, technology, or furnishings.

(d) Hiring, contracting for, scheduling, supervising, or terminating employees, independent contractors, and others to carry out school district powers. A school district may indemnify its employees.

(e) Receiving, accounting for, investing, or expending school district money; borrowing money and pledging school district funds for repayment; and qualifying for state school aid and other public or private money from local, regional, state, or federal sources.

In other words, unless the school district makes carrying on its property against the rules - it's a lawful act. If they make it against the rules, they may ask you to leave.

They may also ask anyone to leave at any time in order to "provide the safety and welfare of pupils" as authorized by state law.
So they can enact "rules" to prevent lawful activities?

I hardly think so.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MIKEHUNT wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
MIKEHUNT wrote:

I hardly think so.

According to the citation posted above - the district is granted broad authority over the property it controls, meaning they can pretty much make any rule stricter than state law if they so desire. They are not, however, allowed to make ordinances like a county or city is able to do (Ordinances are able to have punishments, like fines and jailtime) - just rules - meaning the worst that can happen is that they can tell you to leave, or they'll call the cops on you for trespass.

Please cite to the contrary if you think I'm wrong. Case law could prove your point, but I haven't found any that does.

eastmeyers

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Zukirider wrote:
i have heard enough guess's some what to CITE something to back there statements?

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-Article-VII-28

§ 28 Governmental functions and powers; joint administration, costs and credits, transfers.
Sec. 28.

The legislature by general law shall authorize two or more counties, townships, cities, villages or districts, or any combination thereof among other things to: enter into contractual undertakings or agreements with one another or with the state or with any combination thereof for the joint administration of any of the functions or powers which each would have the power to perform separately; share the costs and responsibilities of functions and services with one another or with the state or with any combination thereof which each would have the power to perform separately; transfer functions or responsibilities to one another or any combination thereof upon the consent of each unit involved; cooperate with one another and with state government; lend their credit to one another or any combination thereof as provided by law in connection with any authorized publicly owned undertaking.

Any other provision of this constitution notwithstanding, an officer or employee of the state or any such unit of government or subdivision or agency thereof, except members of the legislature, may serve on or with any governmental body established for the purposes set forth in this section and shall not be required to relinquish his office or employment by reason of such service.

There's another section of the law where this is defined more clearly, but this is how it's stated in the MI Constitution.

Basically, if any two sections of government enter into a joint operation, the joint operation is only able to exercise the powers that the two separate organizations would have had.

This is so that a School District and, say, a county, cannot join together to make Ann Arbor Public Schools Police - as the district does not have the power to have its own police force.

What about DPS (Detroit Public Schools) Police?

God Bless

G

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
MIKEHUNT wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
MIKEHUNT wrote:

I hardly think so.

According to the citation posted above - the district is granted broad authority over the property it controls, meaning they can pretty much make any rule stricter than state law if they so desire. They are not, however, allowed to make ordinances like a county or city is able to do (Ordinances are able to have punishments, like fines and jailtime) - just rules - meaning the worst that can happen is that they can tell you to leave, or they'll call the cops on you for trespass.

Please cite to the contrary if you think I'm wrong. Case law could prove your point, but I haven't found any that does.
I've already cited sprinklerguy28's experience.

That pretty much sums it up.

His experience vs. your opinion.

mikestilly

imported post

MIKEHUNT wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
MIKEHUNT wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
MIKEHUNT wrote:

I hardly think so.

I've already cited sprinklerguy28's experience.

That pretty much sums it up.

His experience vs. your opinion.

No sorry, nice try PAT no cigar there. Just because the police chose not to force him to leave and had a very nice conversation with him proves absolutely nothing.