• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Restaurant/bar restrictions in Oregon?

kparker

imported post

OCDO's Restaurant Carry map says "Allowed" for Oregon, with no further elaboration.

But Handgunlaw.us says the following in their PDF on Oregon laws:

What is defined as carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol is a place like Friday’s or Red Lobster. This does not mean a bar or the bar area of a restaurant. [emphasis added]

That's just editorializing on their part, right? I certainly can't find anything in the ORS that would support the boldfaced part of their statement.

aadvark

imported post

As I understand it, in Oregon one may Carry a Firearm into a Bar or Restaurant regardless of whether the serivng of Alcohol is the main source of Income for The Establishment, or is only incidental to their Business.

In fact, the only State that bourders Oregon that does not allow Firearms into Bars is Washington. Every other State that bourders Oregon such Act is held permissable.

Phssthpok

imported post

kparker wrote:
OCDO's Restaurant Carry map says "Allowed" for Oregon, with no further elaboration.

But Handgunlaw.us says the following in their PDF on Oregon laws:

What is defined as carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol is a place like Friday’s or Red Lobster. This does not mean a bar or the bar area of a restaurant. [emphasis added]

That's just editorializing on their part, right? I certainly can't find anything in the ORS that would support the boldfaced part of their statement.
What HGL is referring to here is that their listing is meant to deal with the 'restaurant' portion ONLY of mixed use establishments (places that have a separate 'bar' and 'restaurant' area such as TGIFriday's, or Applebee's). They do not (to my knowledge) make a specific listing for 'Bars' (taverns, pubs, gin-joints, whatever).

In Washington you may carry in a mixed use establishment so long as you do not enter the 'bar' portion (defined as off limits to under 21 folks).

In Oregon there is no such restriction on their 'bars' or restaurants. I myself have OC'd into several 'bars' in Portland without issue.

kparker

imported post

As much as I support open carry, I absolutely do NOT OC inside restaurants & bars.
Agreed. I wasn't OC'ing on my recent visit to OR anyway, and I hardly ever go to bars at all, or order much to drink when I do. But we were visiting with some friends, and the possibility came up of eating at a bar, and I was a bit at a loss because the little handy-dandy Now That You Have Your Permit sheet from the Columbia County Sheriff was completely silent on the subject.

Phssthpok,

Your explanation (that they're just following a template that they use for all the states) is certainly more charitable than mine; I think I'll adopt yours. :)

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Unlike Washington State, Oregon has no bar restrictions, whether it be concealed carry with a CHL, or openly carried without CHL in a non-ban city. The statutes are simply silent on the issue. I carried with confidence at the Scandals Bar on Stark Street in Portland when I was hanging out with friends (I drink water and cola, I'm a designated driver). I do not as a general rule OC at a bar or nearby one. No issue, no problems. Washington State should follow Oregon's example.